Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
Eric Roach
Big E

Just Circle Hooks(?)

Has anyone had any success rigging their lures with circles? I'm curious about how well they do actually hooking-up...My guess is they do a terrible job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	circle hook lure.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	60950  
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
Diggin Jiggin

I've got a few plugs set up with just a single siwash hook on the belly (similar to the pic) that I use when fishing in a few places where dealing with fish with trebles is a pain. (deep rocks/bad footing). You miss some fish but the nice thing is when you go to unhook the fish you can just reach down and grab the plug.

Not sure why you would need circle hooks unless you are worried about plug getting swallowed.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
Eric Roach
Big E

I wonder as well what market Yo-Zuri was targeting when they developed these. The hooks with the twisted eyes are over $1.00 each.

Last edited by Eric Roach; 04-06-2015 at 06:27 AM..
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

i think one of the big markets was the tarpon crowd, where the bait is more or less engulfed, allowing the fish to hook itself in the lip/jaw than having someone swinging hard on trebles to set the hook deeper

a lot of the bigger lures i saw in florida have the same set up or close to it, most had the newer inline owner or vmc hooks but the tarpon gear had a lot of circle hook baits

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:34 AM   #5
stripermaineiac

One of the nice things with most plugs is there's a split ring on the middle an on some the tail too. So just give it a try. Circle hooks come from the long line industry where an unattended bait or baits just hung there for the fish to eat.Setting back on a circle hook makes for a lost fish. They work to set themselves. When I was eel fishing all the time i loved them as I just let the line tighten an got a jaw hook 95 percent of the time. They might work on a trolled lure but i highly doubt their use on plugs.J hooks like siwash have been used on Tarpon lures since back in the 50s.I think Heddon was one of the ist to do so. I think as a builder glueing the belly swivel so it doesn't twist which will alow the hook to go flat against the plug would be a way to do it. Martin lures used a clip on the plug belly on the old salmon j-plugs.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
Nebe

If anything, I would only use these for tail hooks. Then crushed barbs up front on the trebles
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote