Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 AM   #1
Eric Roach
Big E

What is this wiring style called?

I've only heard it referred to as "Jersey Style" -- the epoxy-filled, front-to-aft wiring system that is not open to water (don't know how else to describe it.)

Trying to search for some instructions on how to do it but having trouble.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Eric Roach; 02-17-2017 at 03:09 PM..
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:15 AM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

It is pretty simple, Eric. You just bend a hook hanger from wire and use it instead of a swivel, then epoxy the hole to seal it (lots of guys use plumber's epoxy). The plug is through wired the same. It is easier if you use annealed wire for the hook hanger.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
wrikerjr

Eric,

I believe the proper term is "fully sealed." The plug is through wired in the same manner as a swiveled hook. There are no complex wire forms or other mechanisms. You make hook hangers from cutoff pieces of the through wire and use them instead of swivels.

The hook hangers are fixed, therefore, they introduce leverage therefore most builders use swivels to attach the hooks. I believe Lefty started in NJ, and rumor was he tried to copy a bomber. That is what I have heard.

It is a very simple process, after you have the hook hangers, you would seal off the holes and pour in epoxy. Then cover the last bit with sculp wood or plumbers putty or bondo and sand smooth.

There are a few epoxy items that make this process easier.

If you need additional information let me know and I can send you what you need.

Billy

Let me know if you need anything additional. Being from Jersey, I'm well aware and have built a few plugs in this manner. I do believe that swivels are superior.
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
Eric Roach
Big E

Thank you both. Wow, it's that simple, huh?

Wrikerjr: Thanks for the offer for info but I might hold off for now.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Eric Roach
Big E

Actually wrikerjr, if you don't mind, I'd like to take your offer up on some additional information about full-sealing. If it's easier to send via e-mail, mine is eroach1970@gmail.com

I make a couple of needles with screw eyes and I'd like to see how they'd come out via full-seal.

Does anyone happen to know where I could purchase annealed wire?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
Eric Roach
Big E

I imagine that if it were possible to set a (functional) belly swivel via plumber's epoxy in a fully-sealed plug that it would have been done by now...Anyone have any experience trying this?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Rockfish, Joe, has done it in darters before and I think Frech did in his darters too
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
eskimo

Never been a fan of epoxied sealed plugs but I might give it a try on smaller stuff. I got a small spook (zara style) from Ted that shamed stuff I made in a similar size out of basswood with minimal amount of lead.

I think it certainly helps the buoyancy with smaller stuff.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
wrikerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Roach View Post
Actually wrikerjr, if you don't mind, I'd like to take your offer up on some additional information about full-sealing. If it's easier to send via e-mail, mine is eroach1970@gmail.com

I make a couple of needles with screw eyes and I'd like to see how they'd come out via full-seal.

Eric,

No problem I will send you an email from wrikerjr@yahoo.com. I'm happy to help out. My cell is 201-927-5966 if you would like to chat.

Kindest,
Billy
wrikerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Roach View Post
You can anneal it yourself. Just heat it cherry red and let it cool slowly (don't quench).
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
the greek

I used to use the spooled safety wire. You can get it in .042, .051 and .062. Comes in a can and is very soft and real easy to form, almost too easy. I just use regular old 308L welding rod anymore. Its plenty easy to form and actually holds shape better. As for functionality it think it does help somethings like spooks especially. With no hole or grommet I think you get a better [longer] glide if thats what your looking for. For swimmers i don't think it matters except for real small stuff. You are able to keep a bit more wood in the plug and not have the extra hardware. I also fill my smaller stuff with micro balloons mixed into the epoxy to help with the extra weight epoxy brings to the plug. Don't know if any of the extra steps has any real scientific advantages but it does seem to help on some of the things I've built.
the greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
Putnam

I've been using cut-offs from 304L thru wiring stock and have not had problems making the hangers out of that.
Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote