Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Fish On

Send a message via Yahoo to Fish On
Surf Casting NY/CT area

I tuned up two surf casting rods this week and would like to take my 6 year old son out for a few hours of fishing at a place with a) very easy access, close parking, n0n-rocky walk and b) near a bait shop where I can buy clams, worms or eels.

Without burning a special spot since most of those are tough to access, etc. could anne offer up a bit of advice on where to go? The coast up to Stratford CT or down to Throgs Neck, NY is within an hour. We could also head over to the Hudson from Castle Point down to Dobbs Ferry though we might like to eat something we catch and the Hudson worries me a bit.

I'll be doing some searches online but if anyone wants to share either via a post or with a PM we sure would appreciate it. Will circle back with a photo of a smiling little boy.
Fish On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
rphud
GrandBob

There is a city park and marina a short drive on the Cross Island from the Throggs Neck where I have seen some (seemingly serious) folks fishing, but that may just be a spring thing.

I would not feed a 6 year old a Hudson fish just to be on the safe side ("not that there is anything wrong with that" a Sienfeld reference for those that....).
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #3
Fish On

Thanks! We headed where the local bait shop sent us but unfortunately met a ranger at the entrance looking for $35 just to park at 4 pm.

Instead we headed up the coast and found another state park that had a fee, $7 after 4 pm, but noone in the booth. Fished til sunset. Saw a bunch of big scup landed but none for ourselves. My son had as much gun fishing as he did looking for sheels on the beach next to the jetty. A truly great day.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
MakoMike

The park off the cross island Pkwy, is Crotona park. Kid friendly but parking can be a real problem. Try Calf Pasture park in Norwalk CT. fisherman's world tackle shop is nearby.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
Fish On

Thanks Mike. That's where they sent us first. But theywanted $35 to park because we are not locals. We then ernt over to Sherwood Island and fished for free but it looked lke it's normally a fee to park but we got lucky. Regular price was much lower than calf pasture. Thanks though!
Old 09-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
PaulS

I Believe Sherwood island is free after Labor Day. calf pasture still has guards at least on weekends. Campo has guards also. You can get into the Fairfield beaches although not the marina.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
PaulS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #7
rphud
GrandBob

Guards on beaches, must be CT!

Are you coming to MV soon Paul?
rphud is offline   Reply With Quote