Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #61
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
OMG, why am I letting myself be sucked into a PaulS pooh, pooh? Then don't respond. OK. Paul, your the one focusing on a minor detail here and ignoring my main points. BTW--any response to my constitutional Q's?Maybe I don't want to get involved in a detbuch pooh, pooh. I admit I don't know as much as you about the const. so I've never gotten into a debate w/you on it if there was something we might disagree on.
NM
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #62
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
It could be, among others, a tough love stance saying, buddy take care of yourself, it is not society's responsibility to nurse you through every phase of your existence and to pay for your poor choicesI agree that could have been the intent. So b/c of "tough love", they were willing to let him die. Bottom line, some in the audience were willing to let him die. And if you have chosen a path of non-involvement in your own existence, it is not society's duty to empower you to stay on that path
They might have been(don't know about were) willing to let him make the choice. Do you believe in choice? Do you believe in the choice to kill unborn or partially born babies? Do you believe in the choice of an a adult to terminate his life? Must society oppose some choices but enforce others? And if good samaritans are willing to save his life in spite of himself should he or anyone else be forced to pay for it. And is it the fedgov's responsibility to be a good samaritan, and does a good samaritan force anybody to do anything? I know you're a very moral person, but does your morality extend to force rather than personal compassion and personal responsibility to aid and comfort? And do you really believe that the great number of uninsureds would choose to die rather than do what it takes to live? There are a lot of questions and posibilities here, but among those destructive to society one is to change the basis of that society to suit the whims and irresponsibilities of those who do not practice the tenets of that society. Our foundation, the Constitution (here I go again), is meant to garantee INDIVIDUAL liberty and responsibility and is meant to preclude the central gvt. from assuming that responsibility because the assumption of that responsibility gives power to those who hold it. The Constitution is meant to give power to the people over power of the government. If your morality destroys that foundation it will not only be more destructive to a free society than letting an individual perish due to his own irresponsibility, but it will make it that much more difficult for the society to afford the care of those who need it.

Last edited by detbuch; 07-25-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #63
Jim in CT

Paul, you have been presented with evidence that "some" of the audience members applauded the "let him die" statement.

Without having any idea who they were, or why they were applauding, you made the leap that there are no more compassionate conservatives left in the country.

Would you care to retract your assertion that this applause means there are no more compassionate conservatives? Or do you still feel that's a reasonable thing to say?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #64
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Without having any idea who they were, or why they were applaudingIs this any different than your post about the "liberal elite" (or some similiar term) at Wesleyan Univ. booing Scalia? I think you also used the term "Mental disorder" in that post in reference to Libs. ,
NM
Old 07-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #65
Jim in CT

Quote:
NM
Paul, what took place at Wesleyan could not be any more different than the incident you referred to.

In your case, no one knows who was applauding, and more importantly, no one knows why.

In the Wesleyan incident, every honest person in the world knows exactly what was taking place. And moreover, no one in the world was surprised at what took place. Because that's the kind of behavior the world expects from many (not all) liberals, when a conservative has the audacity to express his opinion.

There is absolutely zero ambiguity about what took place at Wesleyan.

Paul, liberals claim to stand for inclusiveness and diversity. Yet time and time again, you see anarchist behavior by liberals when conservatives are trying to make a point. Moreover, I don't see many liberals condemning the anarchist behavior. So if someone claims that they are open-minded and caring about free speech, yet they are not appalled at what took place at Wesleyan, but they still believe they are open-minded, then they are delusional.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 07-25-2012 at 11:13 AM..
Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #66
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Paul, liberals claim to stand for inclusiveness and diversity. Yet time and time again, you see anarchist behavior by liberals when conservatives are trying to make a point.

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #67
scottw

Quote:
So Scott, was that exactly my quote or did you selectively edit it?

Scott, you sometimes remind me of a gnat.
your exact quote.....#31

Don't know but wasn't it asked at a Repub. rally what should happen if someone was dying with no insurance and someone yelled "let him die" and the whole crowd started cheering? Lordy Lordy, where have all the compassionate cons. gone?

#55 my "selectively edited version" of your quote....I did such a fine job that you can hardly tell that I was engaged in mischief huh

Originally Posted by PaulS
Don't know but wasn't it asked at a Repub. rally what should happen if someone was dying with no insurance and someone yelled "let him die" and the whole crowd started cheering? Lordy Lordy, where have all the compassionate cons. gone?

Last edited by scottw; 07-25-2012 at 06:31 PM..
Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #68
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
your exact quote.....#31

#55 my "selectively edited version" of your quote....I did such a fine job that you can hardly tell that I was engaged in mischief huh

Originally Posted by PaulS
Don't know but wasn't it asked at a Repub. rally what should happen if someone was dying with no insurance and someone yelled "let him die" and the whole crowd started cheeringLordy Lordy, where have all the compassionate cons. gone?

Your right and I'm sorry. I posted my quote and what you said. Obviously the same so I was prob. in a hurry and miss read it.

However, can you pls. post the link to what you quoted. As I said in that post, the article seems to have the statement missing where some in the audience yelled "yeah" - which was the whole point of the discussion. I'd like to read the whole thing. Thanks

Scott - was this where you got the quote?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...-someone-witho

Last edited by PaulS; 07-25-2012 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #69
scottw

Quote:
some in the audience yelled "yeah" - which was the whole point of the discussion.
it IS the point isn't it?.....you don't know who or why or any of the other "facts" involved
Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #70
PaulS

Quote:
it IS the point isn't it?.....you don't know who or why or any of the other "facts" involved
I just listened to it and according to it, when Paul was asked the question, people in the audience said "yeah". Maybe they were liberals?

Interesting in that the transcript from that site (and what you posted) didn't have the "yeah" but did include when people applauded at other times. I wonder how they could have missed the "yeah" and why it wasn't included? It did cut out very quickly after the "yeah". I wonder what else happened after that?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #71
scottw

Quote:
I just listened to it and according to it, when Paul was asked the question, people in the audience said "yeah". Maybe they were liberals?maybewe don't know do we?

also from SLATE

"but this is sort of a godsend—a liberal trying to make Tea Partiers look bad. That's really not new, and it may be more silly than malicious. Liberal counter-protesters with ironic signs often crash events in D.C.;

....... like I said, stunt-minded political junkies do these kinds of things."

Tea Party Infiltration Done Wrong

Interesting in that the transcript from that site (and what you posted) didn't have the "yeah" but did include when people applauded at other times. I wonder how they could have missed the "yeah" and why it wasn't included? It did cut out very quickly after the "yeah". I wonder what else happened after that?

if I had to guess I'd say they probably started sacrificing small children and smoking cigars, you know how much they like dirty air and dead people

Last edited by scottw; 07-25-2012 at 08:54 PM..
Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #72
PaulS

I also have to remember when I go to a sporting event not to yell "yeah" as I never realized people don't view that as cheering until now.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #73
scottw

Quote:
I also have to remember when I go to a sporting event not to yell "yeah" as I never realized people don't view that as cheering until now.
you can yell whatever you want to, hopefully the game will be far more relevant than whatever comes out of your mouth and if by chance you yell something obnoxious, let's hope that the entire stadium is not harshly criticized and/or (mis)characterized as sharing the sentiments of whatever you blurted, whatever your intention and how it was percieved depending on which team you happen to be rooting for
Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #74
PaulS

Quote:
you can yell whatever you want to, hopefully the game will be far more relevant than whatever comes out of your mouth and if by chance you yell something obnoxious, let's hope that the entire stadium is not harshly criticized and/or (mis)characterized as sharing the sentiments of whatever you blurted, whatever your intention and how it was percieved depending on which team you happen to be rooting for
Scott, are you now pissed off that I showed you posted something from a site that doctored the transcript and none of your numerous cut and pastes have any credibility?

Let's stick to the thought that maybe they were Libs.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #75
scottw

Quote:
Scott, are you now pissed off that I showed you posted something from a site that doctored the transcript and none of your numerous cut and pastes have any credibility?

Let's stick to the thought that maybe they were Libs.
whatever you say Paul
Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #76
PaulS

Quote:
whatever you say Paul
And whatever you cut and paste, we'll have to check for accuracy
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #77
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Another Thread gone to the Dogs......Shuttin'er Down

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."