Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Fish On

Send a message via Yahoo to Fish On
World Series of Poker-SB.com still has a horse in the race!

I'm totally on a short stack but I'm actually still in this thing on Day 4. The chip leader has $2.4 million, average stack is $284K and I have $107K. I may not last much longer but it's been a great ride and I've had a blast. after this is over it's back to fishing!

Go to pokernews.com for updates. Look for the guy from Windham, New Hampshire.

Wish me luck!

Here is some info that I've been sending to close friends each day.

Enjoy!

Day 3

Well should I give you the good news first or the bad news? OK, let's focus on the positive and start with the good news. Are you sitting down? I made it through Day 3! Incredible as it may seem I played another 10 hours of no limit hold em with a well below average chip stack and finished the day ahead of where I started. I increased my chip count from $98,700 to $107,000. The best news is that the money bubble burst and we made the money! Yes, the bubble burst at 5:30 PM after more than an hour and 50 minutes of hand for hand play. What this means is that when they get close to the money positions, in this case at 635 players (621 get paid), every table plays 1 hand and stops. They don't start a new hand until every single table has completed that hand. So the entire field has to wait for any tables that are involved in big, complex hands to finish those hands before starting a new one. This is so they know exactly who goes out in what position since 622nd gets absolutely nothing and 621st gets $20,300! So in the hour and 50 minutes we played 15 hands believe it or not. It took that long for 14 people to bust out and finally with the last player gone a huge roar ensued and the remaining players all earned a minimum of $20,300! At this point the management announced that they would be adding 60 minutes to the existing level so that the field could have a legitimate number of hands at the level currently being played. This made a lot of sense and was greatly appreciated, especially by those players with smaller stacks of chips......like me!

Up until the bubble burst I had played a total of 3 hands during almost 4 ½ hours of play. However, as I mentioned there were only 15 hands played in almost 2 hours during hand for hand play until the bubble burst.

Key hand: The player in the cutoff (seat before the dealer button) open raises. The player on the dealer button folds and I look down at AK suited in spades. I push all in and the big blind goes into the tank. He eventually folds claiming he had AK which I believe. The original raiser takes little time to fold and I rake the pot.

Another key hand: I raised to $13K from early position with 99. the small blind calls and we see a flop of 2,2,5. He checks and I bet $30K. He folds and I rake the pot.

At 6:45 PM there are 550 players remaining and we have all moved up another pay level to approximately $25,000 minimum.

The very next hand: I open raise from middle potion with KK. Both the small blind and the big blind call and the flop comes A, Q, 6. The small blinds leads out with a bet and the big blind calls. Well into the muck go my kings as they are worthless at this point. Both of these players play this hand to the river and end up "all in" at the end. The small blind shows AT for 3 aces (an ace fell on the river) and the big blind shows 66 for a full house and he rakes a massive pot. In this hand the ace saved my tournament life. If not for the ace I stay in this hand, probably reraise all in on the flop and get crushed by the big blind with 3 sixes. This is the only hand that I played the entire day and did not win.

At the dinner break I have $52,500. The blinds will go up after dinner and I will have an M of about 5. Not quite desperation time but very close to it.

The 2nd hand after dinner I reraise all in from the big blind with 22 against a very aggressive player. This is the player that won the huge hand with 66. The raise is about $40K more and creates some fold equity (chance that I will win the pot without a showdown because he folds) especially against this player. Well he folds almost instantly and stated he had A9. My tight image has paid off here and I rake a nice pot.

Another hand comes up and I open raise with AJ and noone calls. I pick up another small pot of antes and blinds but this is helping my lifeline tremendously.

We creep up another level in money to just under $30,000 when the field drops down to 477 players and I continue to hang on. Fantastic!

At 10 PM we have moved up another level to about $35,000! I am in the BB and the dealer button player open raises (by open raise I mean they are the first one to enter the pot). Now this is quite often a steal bet as he has potion on me for all following rounds of betting and this player is somewhat aggressive. I have AJ and push all in for about $45K more. After thinking for a while he calls with A2 suited in spades. This is a huge mistake on his part as he is a huge underdog to any pair and any bigger ace which I have. Well he does not improve and I more than double up! I am now at $103,500.

On the next orbit the small blind open raises for $15K. I am in the Big Blind and reraise all in with AQ. This player gives me the respect I deserve and folds. I am up to $116,500.

At the next break I am still at $101,000 and we have 1 more hour to play for the day. We are basically going to play ½ of the next level and then Day 3 will end. The blinds are going to be $3000/$6000 with a $1000 ante, a huge jump. This basically costs me $18K for each orbit and my M is suddenly just over 4. Again the M is the number of orbits I can play before I go broke unless I play and win a pot.

On the last hand that I play the cutoff seat limps in and calls the big blind of $6K. I have A3 suited in the button and go all in and everyone folds.

With about 20 minutes left of play for the night the tournament director announces that we have passed 351 players remaining and we have all moved up to a minimum of just under $40,000!

Day 3 ends and I have $107,000 chips left. There are 337 players remaining and the chip leader is at $2.4 million. The average stack is about $382K.

So after Day 1 I had $93,800. After Day 2 I had $98,700. After Day 3 I have $107,000. If the story of the tortoise and the hair is true then perhaps I actually have a chance. I'm certainly not taking the fast road anywhere. Let's just keep our fingers crossed, have fun and ride this ride until they kick me off....

It's Day 4, let's see what happens!

Bye for now.

Keith
Fish On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Fish On

Day 2

Day 2A

Well the good news is that we survived Day 2 and we get to play again on Thursday on Day 3 when the entire remaining field will be combined into 1 for the first time!

The bad news is that the day was a real grind for me personally. I did not get many opportunities to accumulate chips and ended the day at $98,700 which was a slight increase from my starting total of $93,800, but a loss of ground to the field that remains. The average chip count that was $57,200 at the start of the day is now about $157,000. Unfortunately they have not published updated chip counts for everyone yet so I can't give exact number on where I stand. They must be waiting for the conclusion of Day 2B to publish a total list for all remaining players.

350 players remain out of the 1037 that started Day 2A. Day 2B, today, has slightly more starting players at 1303. If players drop at the same ration as Day 2A then Day 2B should produce about 440 additional players which would give us 790 players going into Day 3 out of the 6,358 that started the tournament. 621 make the money with 621st place paying $20,300.

The chip leader for Day 2A is at $570,000. My $98,700 will probably put me somewhere around 500th place when the day starts with the combined field. There will be a lot to think about as the money bubble approaches. There is a big difference between 622nd and 621st. That said, if the cards come and there are 650 players remaining rest assured my chips will be in the pot. These tournaments can change VERY QUICKLY. With just 2 double ups I could easily be among the chip leaders. The winner will receive $8,250,000 and be crowned World Champion.

Some details from day 2A:

We start a noon and each level lasts 2 hours. We are scheduled to play 10 ours today instead of the 12 we played on Day 1.

The blinds start at $1000 and $500 with a $100 ante. A half hour into the day a player lost most of his stack on a fairly bad move. He is left with about $10,000. On the very next hand he throws all of his chips in the pot and declares himself all in. Everyone folds around to me in the big blind and I have 77. This is a common situation and can mean 2 things: a) the player is on "tilt" (upset that he just lost most of his chips) and is just going all in with any 2 cards or b) he actually got dealt good cards and is faking tilt (I like to do this when I'm lucky enough to get a really good hand after a bad beat). I count the money in the pot and including my big blind there is $3400 in the pot already and it is $10,800 more to call or $10,800 to win $25,000. If I am up against 2 overcards then I am a slight favorite and this is the correct call. If he has a small pocket pair then I am a huge favorite and it's a great call. If he has an over pair (bigger than 77) then calling would be a huge mistake. I go with my gutt that he is on tilt and I make the call. He turns over 89 off suit. My feeling was right but unfortunately his 8 and 9 are bigger than my 7 and I am only a slight favorite. Well an 8 hits on the flop and I fail to improve and I am down to just over $80K and I'm hoping this is not a sign of things to come for the day.

A little later an early position player raises to $3K, the next player raises to $9K. I look down at Big Slick (AK) and after thinking about it I fold. The original raiser goes over the top "all in" and the reraiser folds. The original raiser shows AA. Phew. That would have been very bad for me.

At the first break I have $80,400.

Key hand in 2nd level. There are 3 limpers (just call the Big Blind of $1200). I am in the cutoff (seat before the dealer button) and I look down at AJ. Taking advantage of my tight image I raise to $9,000 and everyone folds and I pick up the pot.

At the end of the 2nd break I have $81,100.

Key hand in 3rd level: I have KQ off suit from middle position and noone has entered the pot so I raise first in. I get called by the small blind. The flop is all rags (3 low cards) and he checks to me. I be $7K with nothing and this guy check raises me to $18K. I considered pushing all in over the top and putting this guy to a decision. Unless he hit a set (3 of a kind) or has a big overpair which he would likely have reraised preflop he would have to put me on a big overpair and fold. Anyway I fold and he rakes the pot. I'm a bit steaming after this, but I get some revenge later.

A few hands later the same player raises from early position and gets 1 caller. I am on the button (dealer) and will act last on all later rounds of betting. I have 77 and I call hoping to flop a set of sevens. The flop is Queen, 4, 3 of three different suits and they both check to me. I fire out $11,000 thinking I may have the best hand and can pick up this pot right here. But of course not, the original raiser calls and the other player folds. The turn card is a beautiful 7 of clubs which give me the set I was looking for and he checks to me. Now I should have checked here and given him a free card, but I think he has TT or JJ and I'm afraid to give him a free card that might give him a higher hand. This is wrong. Scared money is dead money and I should have checked here. Live and learn. He may have called my flop bet just to simply try to take the pot from me with a bluff on the river if I checked the turn. If I checked the turn he may have made a big bet into me on the river and I could have closed the noose. Anyway, chicken Keith bets $15,000 and the other guy starts thinking. He then asks how much I have left and he sees $35,000. He finally decides to fold. Ugh! I may have blown $20K or even more!

At the dinner break I have $91,900, almost what I started with.

I am now at a new table with my back to the rail and the crowd is deep. I don't like this because I'm trying to look at my cards and everyone is looking over our shoulders to try and see what we have. So picture me with my face pressed on the table lifting the corner of my cards ever so slightly with my hands covering everything. Momma mia! ESPN cameras are everywhere running between table as players go all in and are called. There are many distractions and the playing conditions are not ideal to say the least. People, I'm trying to focus here!

After a little while at this table, having raised once or twice preflop and received no callers I get dealt AA under the gun (first to act). I decide to limp in (just call the big blind and not raise) and try to go for a big pot. At most tables this is the worst position to get aces because when you raise everyone respects an under the gun raise, especially one with my table image, because you are acting first and out of position and need very good cards to make this bet. Any way there are 3 callers including the BB and 4 of us see a flop of 6,7,T with 2 hearts. I decide to check rather than bet out and the table checks around. I could easily be behind here already and I am out of positin against 2 of the other players. The turn card is an 8 and now anyone with a 9 has a straight. I check again and the dealer button bets $4,000, a very small and suspicious bet. Well Keith you've blown this hand and it's time to send those aces into the muck along with the $2000 that you called preflop. Noone else calls and the player never shows his cards. I can tell you that many players lose a lot of money or go broke in this situation falling in love with AA. Oh well, it's not going to happen to me. I'll wait for a better spot.

Key hand: A middle position player raises to $6K and gets one caller on the button. I am in the big blind and look down at 99. This is a risky play but the raiser is loose and so is the caller and my table image is quite tight. I raise to $26,000 and they both fold! I rake the pot.

Next break before last level of the evening. I have $87,300.

At the start of the next level they announce that they have 383 players remaining and will play down only to 350 whether the level complets or not. They cannot risk going lower than this before Day 2B plays because they must have more people than places paid when the field combines on Day 3 or kaos and lawsuits would follow.

During this level a new player with over $200K comes to our table. A few hands later he raises to $5,500 from early/middle position and it folds around to me. I have k6suited in hearts in the Big Blind. Now the old Keith would muck this hand and move on but going to the next level means playing these hands sometimes especially when the antes are significant which they are now at $300 which puts an additional $2700 in the pot. I make the call of $3100 to create a pot of $13,700. I'm getting over 3 to 1 odds on my money to see this flop. Typcial opening raises are $7,000 at this level. And he has priced me in to see the flop. The flop comes KQ4 and I check to him. He fires out $10,000 and I raise to $25,000 with my kings. My kicker is horrible and if he has AK or a KQ then I am dead, but I have to take a shot here. He thinks about it only for a second a mucks his hand and I rake the pot. Wahoo!

After not playing another hand in the level and being blinded off a bit I end the night at $98,700. Considering the day I had I am happy with this result.

When day 3 starts my M will be almost 16. This is a ratio of my chip stack to the amount of money that it costs to see one orbit of hands (1 trip around the table). 16 is not a desperate number at all. However, this level only has 37 minutes and 47 seconds remaining and then the blinds will make a big jump to $1,500/$3,000 with a $400 ante and suddenly my M will drop to just over 12 if I have the amse amount of money left. I'll get 2 hours at this level until it goes up again. I will have to play hands early and aggressively if I want to maintain a chip stack. The pressure will be on. Hopefully I get my money in with the best hand and my luck holds out.

Bye for now!

Keith

Here is a better site to get updates and see chip counts. I am in 72nd place out of 445, right above Barry Greenstein.

Keith

http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...-holdem/day1a/
Old 07-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Fish On

Day 1

World Series of Poker Main Event Day 1

Well we made it through! Day 2 is next on Tuesday!

Day 1 started with 1287 players. They've added an extra day 1 and a 2nd day 2. Estimates right now are that they'll be somewhere between 6 and 8 thousand entrants in the main event this year between the 4 starting day 1's. I believe they already have 2000 players registered for day 1B and day 1C. Of the 1287 players in Day 1 A, 450 players made it to Day 2. Players started with $20,000 in chips and the average chip count for Day 1A players that still remain is $57,200. My chip count is $93,800!

The day started at noon and we played 6 two hour levels, starting at $50/$100 blinds and ending at $400/$800 with a $100 ante. Including breaks, dinner, and the bagging of chips at the end of the night I did not leave the Rio until after 4 AM! This is the reason for the late update.

Interesting hands/tid bits.

Ray Romano is playing 2 tables directly in front of me and Brad Garret is playing 2 tables to my left. These are the Everybody Loves Raymond stars. The ESPN cameras are constantly at their tables and they are cracking jokes left and right. Brad Garret wins an "all-in" pot and starts kissing his very lovely dealer. Our table then notices that there are 10 massage girls surrounding his table. He bought his entire table a massage after winning the hand!

Early Hand: I open raised from middle position with 77. The player 2 to my left calls and it folds around. The flop has two kings and a 3 and we both check. The turn is another king giving me a full house and I bet and he calls. The river is a jack and I check and he turns over 99. Boo! I lost $2100 in this hand and now I'm in the red.

The guy on my right is a maniac! He is playing very loose and somewhat aggressive and bluffing a lot. I study this guys play and get an early read that when he bets the river somewhat small he is bluffing but when he bets big he has the goods. His whole strategy is to make the table think he is a donkey and then get paid off on big bets. This actually starts to work when the guy that had the 99 open raises and another player calls and the maniac go all in for about $11K. The original raiser goes into the tank and eventually he calls with JJ. Well the maniac turns over AA and doubles up!

Key Early hand: Two players limp and I also limp in with A spades, 9 clubs. The flop is 3 spades and it checks around. The turn is a club and the maniac to my right bets $400. I have the nut flush draw and there is another player in the pot so I call and so does the other player. The river is the 2 of spades. I now have the best hand possible and cannot lose. It checks to me and I bet $700, the next player calls (later we found out she had the K of spades) and the maniac tries to make a move. He raises to $2700 thinking that if I don't have the ace then I will fold and so will the other player because he figures since she didn't raise that she does not have the ace. Pretty logical play actually. Anyway, I raise to $6000 and both players fold. I considered just calling the bet to see if I could get the woman to call too, but I raised it and that was it. Nice pot and I'm back in the black!

2:15 PM first break and I have $25,100.

Hand: I get into a hand with the maniac and I have pocket 55. We both check the turn and when it gets to the river he bets about $600. Going with my earlier read I call and he mucks his hand. I didn't even have to show my 55 to win the pot!

2nd break and I have $28,000.

Key Hand: A "Rock" ( a player that typically plays only very good cards and doesn't make many moves/bluffs) raises from early position, the maniac calls and I look down at AA! I raise big. The original raiser then pushes his entire stack into the pot with very little hesitation and the maniac immediately folds. I immediately call his all in. I have him covered by a few thousand chips and the pot is about $50,000! I have A hearts, A spades and he has K hearts, K spades. The maniac then announces that he had an ace and so does another player, another player says he had a king. So there is one king left in the deck and his other possibility would be to make a straight. I have both his flushes covered with higher cards of the same suit. The board does nothing for him and he is out and I am in great shape!

The dinner break is at 7:15 PM and I have $50,600.

The very first hand after the dinner break I made a mistake. It folds around to me and I open raise from the cutoff (seat before the dealer button) with A9 suited, a good hand for this position. Two players fold and the big blind raises to $4000. He had played a few hands earlier and I thought he might be making a reraise steal which is a common move here when players raise from a steal position like the cutoff. I call the $4000 and the flop is 9 high. I have top pair and top kicker. The BB bets out $7000 which is almost the size of the pot and about two thirds of his stack. This is a very strong sign of strength but I didn't believe him and thought I could get him to lay it down by going all in. I go all in and he instantly calls. Oops! He shows KK. The turn card is the 10 of clubs which give me 14 outs for the river, 9 clubs, 2 nines, and 3 aces. Well the ace of spades falls on the river and I suck out with 2 pair. He is out and we shake hands. I am now up to $77,300.

Next break I am at $68,850.

Freakish hand:

It is exactly midnight and I am dealt 77. the maniac opens for $2000 and I call. A new player to the table that had not played a hand raises to $10,000 which is about half his stack. The maniac calls and there is no way I can call $8,000 more here when I am obviously behind so I fold. The flop is Q,8,7 and I would have had set of sevens. The maniac goes all in and the other player immediately calls. The maniac has 5, 6 of hearts for an open ended straight draw and the other player has AA. The turn is a 4 and the maniac hits his straight. The river is another Queen which would have given me a full house, cracked the maniac's straight and probably would have given me a coronary so it's probably a good thing I was not in the hand. This would have been a VERY interesting hand had I actually played it. If I had doubled through the maniac which would have been very likely I would have had over $160K and probably been the chip leader at the time. Oh well, if ifs and butts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merrier Xmas. The irony of this hand is that I was dealt 777 exactly at midnight on 7/7/07. Had I realized the symbolism of this hand I might have called the $8,000.

Our table finally breaks and I am moved into a table of smaller stacks and I am the chip boss at the table.

Hand: I have JJ from early position and I raise to $2000. It folds around and the Big blind calls. The flop is 3 very low cards and the BB bets out $3500. He is betting that I have 2 unpaired high cards and cannot call his bet. Too bad for him I have JJ and I raise to $9500. He thinks about it and decides it wasn't a good idea and he folds.

Key hand: A player from middle late position opens for $2,000. The button calls. I have AQ in the small blind which means I will be out of position of each betting round so I smooth call the $2,000 and do not raise. The flop is ace high and the original raise bets $7,000. the button folds and I ask the player how much money he has left. He has about $18,000 left and I go all in. He instantly calls so I'm thinking he probably has AK. I show AQ and he says "good hand". He has AJ and now only has 3 outs. The turn pairs the board which gives him 6 outs for a split pot. Nothing significant comes on the river and he is out and I am up to over $104,000.

2nd to last hand of the evening. I guy who was playing weird opens for double the big blind from early position. This is called a "min raise". I look down at AK and after deciding that I don't want to play a huge pot so late and that this guy might have a monster I just call the $1600. The player to my left also calls as does one other and the flop is ace high. The original raiser checks and I bet $4,500 with top pair top kicker. The player to my left smooth calls and everyone else folds. The turn is the K of hearts giving me 2 pair but putting 3 hearts on the board. Scared of a flush draw I check and the player to my left bets $9,000! Now he could be stealing or he could actually have the flush or he could be protecting 3 of a kind from a fourth heart. After thinking about it I call the $9,000. The river is a Queen (would have been awesome if it was an ace or a king) and I check. This guy now bets $20,000 and I go into the tank). I think about this for more than 8 minutes and NOONE CALLS A CLOCK. Everyone wants the night to be over including me and they are all letting me take as much time as I want. I finally decide that this guy hit his flush on the turn and I fold my hand face up. Two guys comment that it was a very good fold and that he definitely had the flush. We'll never know for sure because the guy wouldn't show and wouldn't say a word. I'm pretty sure he had it and didn't want to give me the satisfaction of telling me I made a good fold.

Well I lost about $15,000 in that last hand and finished the night at $93,800. Not a bad first day.

There are 3 more day ones and I don't play again now until Tuesday. There are no chip counts posted on worldseriesofpoker.com just yet but they should be up soon. They may not put all players counts up so don't be concerned if you don't see me. They have only been putting up the recognizable names and the really, really big stacks in the other tournaments. This is the main event though so they may put up all the counts.

Some notable players that busted out on Day 1A: Marco Traniello, Eli Elezra, Josh Arieh, Dewey Tomko, John D'Agostino, Marcel Luske, Amarillo Slim, Mel Judah, Doyle Brunson, and Johnny Chan.

Bye for now!

Keith
Old 07-13-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
fishsmith
DDG-51

All in - All in - All in - Fish On!! Way to go man, I'm rooting for ya.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
t.orlando

Nice going Keith, good luck
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
striperjerk1
Still A Plugger

Nice going keith.

Dennis
Retired
striperjerk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Best of luck!
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

wow that's great

good luck
glad you're having fun

you must have taken notes or have a great memory

too intense for me

i hope you win

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

You actually in the real money?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:35 AM   #10
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

quick.....someone get him a S-B shirt to wear for the camera.
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Salt View Post
quick.....someone get him a S-B shirt to wear for the camera.

Good Luck Kieth!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
Fish On

Day 4

More good news and bad news but I won’t extend the suspense. The bad news first, unfortunately I am out of the 2007 World Series of Poker main event. The good news is that I made it to another money level and made $45,422 when I busted out and I was also given an awesome going away present for my last couple of hours of play in the WSOP (see "Cool Ending" below).

Thanks for all the good luck wishes and support for my World Series run! I really appreciate it!

As everyone knows I came to day 4 with a very short stack. My M was about 6 (enough chips to survive 6 orbits around the table if I don’t play and win a hand) which means that I had to start playing very aggressively very soon. 337 players remained out of 6358 starting players. We started with 1 hour left in the previous day’s level, $3,000 and $6,000 blinds with a $1,000 ante. My day started in the cutoff seat, directly behind the dealer button which was very good for me since it meant that I would see 6 hands before I had to pay the big blind. After looking at bad cards for 2 orbits of the table I got QQ on the dealer button. Unfortunately all players had folded to me and when I raised both blinds folded. Boo. This was the only hand that I played at this table, but at least I picked up the blinds and antes.

Cool Ending: After playing almost all of the day’s next level and not seeing any opportunities to get my money in first with anything decent and not playing a hand, a player 2 to my right was knocked out in a big hand. Humberto Brenes was then moved to our table to fill the empty seat. This is the pro from Costa Rica that always has the little plastic shark on his chips and uses it to jokingly to intimidate other players. It’s really quite entertaining. If you watch any poker on TV you’ve seen this guy. He constantly addresses the audience saying things like, “Umberto have the best hand” and a very unique “ALL IN” with a big stand up and underhanded arms wave. When he raises he doesn’t say anything he just looks at the dealer and gives him a thumbs up and the dealer says “raising it up”. However in this case when Umberto’s table was broken and he drew the seat at my table vacated by the previous player Umberto did not show up. Instead the tournament director showed up with a bunch of chip racks in his hands. This is similar to what happens when it is your turn for your table to be broken and the players are given new seat assignments to fill in empty seats at other tables. But it wasn’t our turn for our table to be broken, so what is this guy doing? So I’m thinking to myself why is this guy here with chip racks and why don’t we have a player in that vacant seat yet? Then it hit me. No way! It can’t be! Before I could ask the question the tournament director started to speak and said, “dealer please stop play I’m going to explain to the players what is about to happen. Players, I’m going to ask you to all rack up your chips (took me a half a second to toss my 12 $5000 chips and 2 $1000 chips into my rack) and stay at your seat until all players are done (one player needed 6 or 7 racks for all his chips). Then I want you all to follow me together over to the ESPN feature table where we have relocated this table to join Umberto Brenes.” Holy hole cams Batman! I get moved to the spotlight table and I have $62,000 in chips and an M of less than 3. My big moment in the poker spotlight and I’m bringing a knife to a gun fight. Not only that but we are about 10 or 12 players away from the next money level which is another $6,000 in real money. Not that I needed any extra pressure, but what else can possibly happen. We finally get over to the feature table and by the time we receive the feature table instructions, get wired with microphones under our shirts, and fill out the personal information form so that Norman Chad (ESPN WSOP broadcaster) will know who we are and how to cut us down on national TV, there is only time for 1 hand before the level ends. So now I’m on a 20 minute break and I have time to call a few friends and share my trepidations about what is about to go down. Not only will my hole cards be revealed to the world through the hole cameras at each seat, but I have the added pressure of looking like a “donkey” (poker’s word for an idiot) on national TV if I screw up. Well turns out it actually wasn’t that bad and I really enjoyed the action and the experience. What a way to end my World Series of Poker! Thanks ESPN!

The feature table action: My first 6 or 7 hands or so were all rags (bad cards) and with the pressure of the next money bubble and wanting to have a good hand on TV I had not yet chosen the hand to make my move. My only move by the way at this point is “all in”. I do not have enough chips to do anything else with less than $60K and blinds at the $4,000/$8,000 with a $1,000 ante. Somewhere about the 2nd orbit or so I am on the button and the cutoff seat (seat to my right) who is also short stacked, open raises (everyone folded to him and he chose to play the hand) to $22,000. I look down at two tens. Excellent! I know the guy to my left is almost as desperate as I am and would likely raise this pot in his position with almost anything. After asking Umberto (he is 2 seats to my right) if I could borrow his shark for my big all in move (he told me he would let me use it while we were on break if he was not in the hand) and having him decide he doesn’t want to loan me any luck, I make my move “sharkless” and go “All in”! I should have borrowed his move in jest for not loaning me the shark by standing up with a big hand wave and a slow loud “All In” as he does but I just decided to “get er done” and I push my chips into the middle. Both blinds fold and the guy to my right, who must call the additional $25,000 or so because the odds for him are huge (almost 3 to 1 on his additional money), says in a foreign accent “this is very good for you” because he knows that to reraise him knowing that he must call that I must have a good hand and his hand is only marginal. We turn over our cards to reveal that I am a huge favorite with TT against his A5. The flop reveals a third ten and I instinctively give a big fist pump as I am way ahead and he must hit 2 cards to make a straight to beat me. Of course I immediately get a huge scare when the turn card is a picture card which gives him 4 outs (number of remaining cards in the deck that he can win the hand with) to a runner, runner (last 2 cards in a row) broadway straight (AKQJT). This instantly quiets the crowd and sends huge "bad beat" (being beaten on very long odds) chills up my spine which will be obvious on TV through the main camera which is pointed right in my face when the card is turned over. He needs a jack on the river to bust me and of course the dealer takes his sweet time (seemed like a hundred years) to put out the river card (last of the 5 cards). Well the river is a deuce giving me a full house and I have survived my first all in on ESPN and more than doubled up in the process! I am now up to over $100K again! Now I’m able to see a few more hands until I select the next hand that I will have to walk the gauntlet with. A few orbits later and after a couple of very exciting hands by other players where one player was knocked out and another player made a very nice all in raise and doubled up, I am under the gun (first seat to the left of the big blind and first to act preflop) and get dealt AK suited in clubs. Now this is considered by most players to be the 5th best possible starting hand in no limit hold em, directly behind AA, KK, QQ and JJ. I have just over $80,000 in chips and an M of less than 4. I have no equity in raising less than all of my chip stack because I must call any reraise. The only arguable point to not going "all in" and just raising is that it might represent more strength by signaling that I have a huge hand and that I am inviting action from another player which could make a marginal hand fold. But in this case my hand is so strong that I actually want a call. I need a call and I need to win the hand to more than double up to close to $200K. Well it folds around to you know who in the small blind and after thinking on it for about 30 seconds, you guessed it, Umberto Brenes calls my all in. The big blind folds and we reveal our cards to show that my suited AK is up against his pocket tens (pokernews.com misreported his hand as 77). This is a coin flip situation as he is a very, very slight favorite. The dealer puts our cards in the center of the table and Umberto pulls out his shark (it doubles as a flashlight with a red light shooting out of it’s mouth when he presses a button) and starts to make motions like his shark is eating my cards. Everyone is laughing but me. Moments later the dealer puts down the flop and Umberto hits a third ten. This spells doom for me and Umberto immediately erupts in celebration. There is 1 club in the flop and I have a remote draw at a runner, runner flush but the turn card (4th card) pairs the board giving Umberto a Full House and leaving me drawing dead (no way to win) on the river and my World Series of Poker is over!

Well I couldn’t have scripted a better ending short of me going on a monstrous run and taking down the whole tournament. I came in 257th place out of 6,358 players, made the next money level at $45,422, got some time at the ESPN feature table under the lights, microphones and cameras and got knocked out by a very well-known and likeable pro, Umberto Brenes. I don’t know if they’ll show either of my hands that I played on the broadcast but given who knocked me out I’d say there is a very good chance that they’ll at least show my last hand. We’ll have to wait and see.

Enjoy the show when it comes out on ESPN. ESPN will broadcast a 2 hour WSOP show every Tuesday night from July 10th through October 30th with plenty of repeats in between. The main event tournament will of course be at the end of that period with I think 16 hours of total coverage. So it the main event broadcast will likely start in early September. Believe it or not the main event final table will be broadcast this Tuesday on pay per view if you are interested. For $19.95 you can seat it live. Personally I’ll wait to see it for free.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #13
pal156

congrats

pal156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #14
Squid kids Dad

Thumbs up

Congrats

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #15
labrax

Very nice job - both at the WSOP and with the entertaining retelling of the events that transpired.
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:12 PM   #16
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Congrats on your winnings, wow you did better than more than 6000 other poker players

let us know when you'll be on and who to look for

I caught some of espn WSP tonight and the pot was 5 million

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #17
redcrbbr
here fishy fishy

Send a message via ICQ to redcrbbr Send a message via AIM to redcrbbr Send a message via Yahoo to redcrbbr
excellent reporting, I think just the excitment of the tourney would have rattled me. congrats on doing so well. Maybe next year you should bring a toy striper

redcrbbr
of all the things i've lost...i miss my mind the most!!

redcrbbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #18
Fish On

I definately need to work on my "Umberto Like" props. A striper is not a bad idea. I was swamped Satruday so I just popped in the blog that I was sending to friends. I took notes at the poker table for most every hand I played so I could share the experience with friends that couldn't make it out.

I did want to thank the guys here for the well wishes of support. It really helped my confidence.

Thanks all!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #19
redcrbbr
here fishy fishy

Send a message via ICQ to redcrbbr Send a message via AIM to redcrbbr Send a message via Yahoo to redcrbbr
Just curious, how much did it cost to enter the tourney

redcrbbr
of all the things i've lost...i miss my mind the most!!

redcrbbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 AM   #20
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Keith, Congrats on your outstanding play.
tynan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #21
Fish On

Thanks Tynan.

It cost $10,000 to enter.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 AM   #22
JohnR

Nice job dude!

You always seem to make a way into the action, don't you ?

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #23
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Fish On, just go to any southie gift shop and buy one of those little fist with its middle finger extended upward. Use that for your lucky charm.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #24
Mr. Sandman

Wow! That is quite a story. Waytogo Keith!

I love that photo with you and all that cash. Sooo...I guess there is a new boat in your future?

Jim
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #25
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

That was an awesome play by play, I felt like I was there. How many people can say they got knocked out by Umberto? Would have been better to double up through him but he got lucky. Sounds like you were making all of the right calls though, congrats!

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #26
Young Salt
Salt of the Earth

Congrats on finishing in the money, but you should've known better than to play the AK. AK is the anna kournikova.....looks good but it never wins.
Young Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #27
Fish On

Here's the picture Sandman is referring to.

New boat? Nah, I couldn't even fill up the tank with this....

Now that I'mbackthough I can'twait to take a shot at those tuna I've been reading about!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_07.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	22436  
Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #28
Fish On

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070718/...tzaoUErUrMWM0F

Here's a link to the story on the ultimate winner who was crowned early this morning.

Thanks again for all the well wishes! You guys are great!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #29
Fish On

I got a call from ESPN last week to confirm some personal information (probably so Norman Chad will have more material to rank on me).

Anyway, I got an email today and it said:

"Hello Keith,

I sat in with the producer and with Norman Chad and Lon M. and a hand or two of yours was there, so it is very likely that you will be on the show unless there is a last minute cut. The show for your day will air tomorrow night on ESPN. Congratulations,

Chris Russell
ESPN"

So I guess I'll be on. He said that I'll probably be in the first hour of the 2 hour show. It starts at 8 PM tomorrow night on ESPN. If you want a good laugh tune in to see Umberto Brenes send me to the showers.

Keith
Old 09-19-2007, 07:22 AM   #30
JohnR

How did it go? I didn't get a chance to see...

Apocalypse is Coming: