Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Beer & Beverage

Beer & Beverage Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Strike_King

Clown Shoes Brewery..Ipswich MA

Got on to them via the rec of a client a couple of months ago. I've tried a few of their beers.Small batch,craft brewery. Their beers rate well on BA. They have some cool labels too..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	279053052.jpg
Views:	1359
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	46418  
Strike_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Jenn

well they say marketing/packaging is everything right?

I usually never turn up the chance to try a beer I never had before but I couldnt bring myself to try this one because....well lets just say I have an issue with clowns and we will leave it at that!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Strike_King

That may be so,but in this case the product lives up to the packaging IMO. Which isn't always the case with cool labels/bottles..This is another one of theirs which is similar to nugget nectar..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Apr 21, 7 33 14 PM.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	46421  
Strike_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Stacey

Hi Jen,
I'm Stacey from Clown Shoes Beer and I want you to know that we're not fond of clowns either. In fact, you will find that there are NO clowns on any of our admittedly cool packaging. We just like the shoes. Just the shoes. And beer, we like good beer, so we brew the kind of beer we like to drink, sans clowns.
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
Hi Jen,
I'm Stacey from Clown Shoes Beer and I want you to know that we're not fond of clowns either. In fact, you will find that there are NO clowns on any of our admittedly cool packaging. We just like the shoes. Just the shoes. And beer, we like good beer, so we brew the kind of beer we like to drink, sans clowns.
Bursting onto this site is kind of rude, unless of course you're doing research for a surfcasting themed beer. Not sure on the style but I'd nominate Tattoobob for the label. He probably already has the clown shoes...

I'm not a fan of the Tramp Stamp, but then again I find most Belgian IPA's to be be contrived...

Other CS beers I've enjoyed have been solid. Would like to taste on draught before forming any final opinions.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
luds
Night Stalker

I'm working my way through the Black IPA right now because I wanted to try it after this thread. At first I found the grapefruit flavor too overpowering but a few sips later I'm starting to enjoy it a bit.

I also found the post a bit rude. At least give a fishing site some credit for having a beer forum rather than just shamelessly boasting how "admittedly cool" your label is and completely ignoring that your a guest on the site. Honestly I have not taken the beer seriously because of the packaging. At least the contents of the bottle seem to be better than the label.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Stacey

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. It's a recurring comment, "I like beer, but I don't like clowns," and perhaps I was too quick to the defense. Clown Shoes' founder, Gregg, really doesn't like clowns either, and he'll never have a clown on a label.

I guess I should excuse myself from the conversation now, but honestly, I didn't mean to gate crash, I'm just psyched to be part of something new and cool.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #8
spence

So when does the surfcasting themed beer come out?

-spence
Old 04-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Nebe

The surfcaster beer will be a double bock called jetty yetti
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
The surfcaster beer will be a double bock called jetty yetti
Good pick, something to warm up after a cool May evening.

-spence
Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
basswipe

Quote:
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. It's a recurring comment, "I like beer, but I don't like clowns," and perhaps I was too quick to the defense. Clown Shoes' founder, Gregg, really doesn't like clowns either, and he'll never have a clown on a label.

I guess I should excuse myself from the conversation now, but honestly, I didn't mean to gate crash, I'm just psyched to be part of something new and cool.
Don't be sorry and certainly don't excuse yourself.Pretty hard to crash gate that opens up to a beer section with a topic on the very brewery you work for!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I don't see that she was rude at all.... It would be nice to see input from other companies whose products we use and talk about, come in and contribute. You guys might want to try to welcome her back to the party. It is a beer forum, even though it exists within a fishing site...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I don't see that she was rude at all.... It would be nice to see input from other companies whose products we use and talk about, come in and contribute. You guys might want to try to welcome her back to the party. It is a beer forum, even though it exists within a fishing site...
I was simply trying to provoke her into recommending a surfcasting themed beer to management.

-spence
Old 04-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I was simply trying to provoke her into recommending a surfcasting themed beer to management.

-spence
What do you know about surfcasting? You might want to stick to subjects you know something about like shoes and man purses.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
What do you know about surfcasting? You might want to stick to subjects you know something about like shoes and man purses.
I've read several books and bought and sold a lot of rods. I also believe I've either gone even or out fished Nebe every time we've been together.

I have a wall of plugs and some even have a little weed stuck to them.

A few have some chips in the finish.

So yea, I'm down like that.

And back to the forum...dinking a Hop Devil.

-spence
Old 04-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
And back to the forum...dinking a Hop Devil.

-spence
Dinking?

You might want to consider a few less dinks.To many dinks can cause hand spasms when typing!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
Dinking?

You might want to consider a few less dinks.To many dinks can cause hand spasms when typing!
Remember the M*A*S*H episode when Margret says "I've only had two dinks and I'm not as think as you drunk I am"

Moved onto some Anchor Steam but it should be quite a while before my hands start to spasm.

-spence
Old 04-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
Jenn

Quote:

Stacey
I didnt think you were being rude.....I felt you were backing your product.

I know it does sound trivial....but clowns really do give me panic attacks!! (I know I have issues!) It really WAS a "packaging" decision for me I hate to say. I am always trying new beer.....I am sure one (brave) day I will try your brew.

On a positive note....please dont be offended because I hate clowns. Maybe there is a lesson for both sides here.
Lesson to consumer-dont judge a beer by its label
Lesson to brewer-packaging CAN be the only deciding factor for many when deciding to try or not try a new product.

To that I say brew us a briny sea ale....slap a striped bass and a surfcaster on the bottle and you'll probably interest at least a few of us crusty ole salts!

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote