Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-12-2004, 04:06 PM   #1
Chris in Mass

Location: Recently relocated to the shores of Rhode Island - East Bay!
Air Compressor for Nailing

How do I size an air compressor kit (HP, psi, gallons) for personal residential nailing. I would like to be able to do framing on average of once a year (finish the basement type stuff). Most of the use will be finish nailing (molding, etc). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Chris in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

2.5 gallon pancake should do that fine, you need to match the cfm rating to the tool so look and see what the nail gun pulls first.
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

most nail guns run on 80lbs, some abit more,,some less..most compressiors will run up to 120 before shutting off at the top end.

don't waste your money on an oilless,,they burn out fast.

ps...drain the tank after EVERY use...before putting it away even if it's only for the nite,,,they rust from the inside out.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
Chris in Mass

Thanks. Good info. These boards are great!
Old 12-14-2004, 11:24 AM   #5
basswipe

Give any thought to an Impulse gun?
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
spence

I bought the small Porter Cable pancake compressor last year and it's worked great.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
Chris in Mass

Did a quick review of Paslode's impulse nailer. Definetly worth a look. The framing use is exactly what I'm looking for and not having to pull out cords/compressor is slick. I'm going to do some further cost comparisons against the air compressor units.

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000225HU/bladesexpress/002-7286054-5226417[/URL]
Old 12-14-2004, 08:21 PM   #8
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

CS it's not the pressure he needs it's the CFM to match the gun or air tool. Like my big lathe....I got a pancake compressor that runs 150 psi....but it's not going to run the machine that needs 18 cfm just to breathe like my big 80 gallon 3 stage can provide.....
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:50 PM   #9
C-5 CC
New (used) boat!!!!

paslode----not for homeowners!!

Get a Makita 2400. Runs fine on a 15 AMP circut. I have three of the previous model (2000 and 2200, I think)and one of the DeWalt D55155. The DeWalt needs a 20 AMP circut to run consistently well, and it doesn't like cold weather at all. I definately prefer the Makitas. I use mostly Bostich guns and 3/8" hose. The guns operate more reliable with that then the 1/4" hose. I have been in construction for about 18 years, and owner of my own business for the last 10, so i guess I have put most tools out there to the test. The Paslode guns are OK, but you have to clean them RELIGIOUSLY. I have owned 4 of them (2 trim and 2 framing), and returned one of each because they consistently failed to operate. The two remaining guns work well only if I have one of my guys clean and lube them every day that they are used.
good luck
brandon

***** I WOULD STILL RATHER GO HUNTING W/ #^&#^&#^&#^& CHENEY THAN GO FOR A DRIVE W/ TED KENNEDY ******
C-5 CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
Chris in Mass

Thanks C-5. Did read some of the reviews on the Paslode's that cleaning is a problem. This could be an issue for me since use will be light-residential, where a clear schedule for cleaning may be various. This issue issue may outweigh dragging out the hoses on the air compressor models.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:31 PM   #11
C-5 CC
New (used) boat!!!!

another good rule is:
Have one hose for inside use only! That way you don't have to worry about dragging an embeded stone over a nice wood floor

***** I WOULD STILL RATHER GO HUNTING W/ #^&#^&#^&#^& CHENEY THAN GO FOR A DRIVE W/ TED KENNEDY ******
C-5 CC is offline   Reply With Quote