Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 06-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Union Jack

Hoping RMarsh chimes in here.... Want to figure the math to recreate this union jack pattern in some railings. Like, eight of them, so want to figure a way to replicate it easily, or at least predictably. Someone has already figured out a process, including best way to fasten. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unionjack2.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	67153   Click image for larger version

Name:	unionjack1.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	67154  

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
Rmarsh

Hi Ross...I use a free app...calculator soup triangle theorems. In the first example i used 16" and 10" for the sides. It gives the length of the diagonal side 18.86" and the two angle cuts....32 and 58 degrees.
Added another example with different measurements

Last edited by Rmarsh; 08-26-2023 at 06:06 AM..
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #3
Rmarsh

There should be four equal size rectangles formed once the vertical and horizontal balusters are in place.
For the length of the diagonal piece or side C, which will be measured along the centerline of the piece...not the edge, use the measurements of the width and height of the rectangles for sides A and B......the length of side C and the angle cuts will be calculated by the app.
Pythagorean theorem states A squared + B squared = C squared. Same way rafter length is determined. But this app gives the precise angles for the verticle and horizontal cuts as well as the length.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:24 AM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Thanks, Bob. I stepped away from that project for a few days while I got my head wrapped around the plan of attack. The rectangles will all be a little different, but if we proceed with the formula, (and are consistent with our verbiage throughout) I think we will be able to get the 32 diagonals cut to size.... without too much waste. Brown glue and a 2"finish nail shot in diagonally is my thought. 2.25 trim screws mushroomed without countersinking each one, and wandered. So fit is crucial. Baluster stock is 1.375 mahogany.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
Rmarsh

im aware that you dont need a calculator app to solve the triangle problems....a framing square could do the job adequately.
But I have been using the triangle app now for many jobs and the accuracy is dead on.....math dont lie.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #6
Rmarsh

Here is a link to the calculator app ......more than just geometry

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/
Old 06-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #7
Nebe

Couldn’t you just draft what you want on paper and then use an adjustable angle finder to find your angles ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:44 AM   #8
spence

Could also probably do it pretty fast with some free cad software.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #9
Rmarsh

Yes you could.....but it is slower than a few mouse clicks and not as accurate as angle readings to the hundredth decimal......many ways to do things...i have tried most of them..
Ross's guestion did ask about the math.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Could also probably do it pretty fast with some free cad software.
i have autocad and compltely capable with it.....the app i mentioned is faster
Old 06-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Thanks Bob. Worked as advertised and was a snap... Will post pics when installed, which is up on roof decks... They could use a little finish paint sprayed on them, as I experimented with a few fastening options.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:07 AM   #12
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Thanks Bob. Worked as advertised and was a snap... Will post pics when installed, which is up on roof decks... They could use a little finish paint sprayed on them, as I experimented with a few fastening options.
You're welcome Ross. I'm glad to hear that it worked well.
I wasn't sure about the best way to fasten, with all those pieces converging like they do
Old 06-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #13
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

So except for fashioning post caps out of 2x12 PVC stock, I am done on the railings. Painter has some touch ups. I ended up redoing the post wraps in PVC as well....
Got set up today on a falling garage. We've stopped the falling and started the standing up. Takes time. Not unlike braces on a kid's teeth. It moved enough today that the padlock hasp on garage would not line up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unionjack3.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	67206   Click image for larger version

Name:	kingstday1.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	67207  

Old 06-25-2020, 02:09 AM   #14
Guppy
User

Nice look on the rails boss
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:13 AM   #15
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Nice look on the rails boss
Thanks, Ray. That particular run is 12'4".... one of four over 12 foot. Nothing wrong with that, right?

Old 06-25-2020, 05:20 AM   #16
Rmarsh

Railings look great! The garage is in rough shape though...with the way its leaning... walls didnt have proper diagonal bracing?
Old 06-25-2020, 07:00 AM   #17
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

No, no cross bracing. No collar ties, just truss bottoms that are too low to be doing any thing. Middle truss is battened vertically so I will have to remove those as we come more upright. Will be getting framing lumber delivered next week or two depending how it easily it moves.
Had to attach 2x8 to exterior walls as anchor points for through bolts.
Roof sheathing will go, some sills will go, a lot of siding will go.... Just have to see what budget will handle once I have it secured upright and structurally sound. Actually a fun project to figure out. Young couple, second house.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #18
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Thanks, Ray. That particular run is 12'4".... one of four over 12 foot. Nothing wrong with that, right?
Ummmm,,, just for looks, right?
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #19
wdmso

I ve always envied people who can do this kind of work it impressive
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote