Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Sorry to tell you but there is a problem with cops and low income or lower caste people

Yes, there is problem with the police. I didn't see anyone say the police are perfect, therefore I'm not sure what you are responding to. They, like both you and I, are flawed.

Yes, there is a problem. But the data shows with zero ambiguity that problem, is nothing compared to the problem caused by black on black violence in our cities. But, that tiny police problem is seen a politically helpful to democrats, so the media acts as if that's the biggest problem, they get the mob good and worked up, and a few cops get murdered, no big deal. Easier than admitting that (1) urban black on black violence is a far bigger problem, and (2) that liberalism helped cause black on black violence. Can't discuss either of these two things.

You have to start wondering how much liberals despise blacks. Attack the nuclear family, incentivize fatherlessness. Create a permanent underclass by making them addicted to welfare. Oppose school choice (probably my favorite). Put an abortion clinic on every corner of every black neighborhood. Talk in ebonics whenever you are speaking to blacks.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #32
Pete F.
Canceled

Always the liberals fault.

What is it like to be a black man in America?

"Ernest showed up at my door and I had to address it. I couldn't pretend nothing was going on as we were watching news of the protests and riots upstairs," Brock said.

Skelton's answer shocked her.

"He was very open and willing to share what his life was like, and I'm going to say it really shocked me, because I didn't know that this is a normal black man has to deal with every day," Brock said, tears welling in her eyes.

Skelton told her about the numerous times he claims he's been pulled over by Myrtle Beach police, but said it wasn't for traffic violations.

"I get pulled over because my truck fit the description of a robbery. They question me about the boxes in my car," he said.

He claims the harassment from police has gotten so bad, he doesn't leave the house after dark anymore.

"Soon as I'm 5 minutes from my house, the blue light come on. I pull over and they ask me what I'm doing out this time of night. I'm like, 'dude really. I got a sign on my truck, invoices showing I just got off of work,'" he said.

He said seeing what happened to George Floyd certainly hasn't improved his level of trust with law enforcement, either.

"George Floyd , when I saw that, that could have been me. They could have easily snatched me out of the car," he said.

He went on to tell her about the prejudice he's faced in the workplace, too.

"Me being an African-American, I have 2 degrees, but I can't get a job with two degrees because of my skin color," he said.

This eventually led him to become his own boss and start his own business, Grand Strand Appliance Repair Services.

He said even customers will question his qualifications from time to time.

"I have customers asking me 'are you certified? Do you know what you're doing?' I mean they want a background history," he said.

It was an eye-opening conversation for Brock. She said it was an uncomfortable dialogue to initiate, but a much-needed one.

"Let's not pretend that it doesn't exist. Let's ask the hard questions and be willing and open to see what's under there," Brock said. "It's really about listening with an open mind instead of thinking you know."

She wanted to share what she learned with the world, in the hopes that his story would enlighten others, too.

With his permission, she posted what she learned from him on Facebook.

The post has since gone viral. It's been 'liked' and shared hundreds of thousands of times.

Skelton said people from all around the world have been reaching out to him nonstop, either with messages of sympathy, or stories of similar run-ins with law enforcement.

Even Myrtle Beach City Manager John Pedersen said he saw the post. In an email to ABC 15, he said he found Skelton's allegations "disturbing" and that Myrtle Beach police were investigating.

However, he said so far, they have only found record of one incident with Skelton, and it was related to a traffic incident back in 2014. He said they are continuing to look into the matter.

Skelton said he feels many of his encounters with local police went undocumented, though.

"Plenty of times I get pulled over for no reason, so if I'm getting pulled over for no reason at all, of course they're not going to put that in their record," he said.

Ernest Skelton said he doesn't have high hopes things will change for the black community, but he said when people in positions of privilege, like Caroline Brock, are willing to ask and listen, it's certainly a good start.

"It's about listening and it's about uplifting," Brock said.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-11-2020, 03:20 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Always the liberals fault.

What is it like to be a black man in America?

"Ernest showed up at my door and I had to address it. I couldn't pretend nothing was going on as we were watching news of the protests and riots upstairs," Brock said.

Skelton's answer shocked her.

"He was very open and willing to share what his life was like, and I'm going to say it really shocked me, because I didn't know that this is a normal black man has to deal with every day," Brock said, tears welling in her eyes.

Skelton told her about the numerous times he claims he's been pulled over by Myrtle Beach police, but said it wasn't for traffic violations.

"I get pulled over because my truck fit the description of a robbery. They question me about the boxes in my car," he said.

He claims the harassment from police has gotten so bad, he doesn't leave the house after dark anymore.

"Soon as I'm 5 minutes from my house, the blue light come on. I pull over and they ask me what I'm doing out this time of night. I'm like, 'dude really. I got a sign on my truck, invoices showing I just got off of work,'" he said.

He said seeing what happened to George Floyd certainly hasn't improved his level of trust with law enforcement, either.

"George Floyd , when I saw that, that could have been me. They could have easily snatched me out of the car," he said.

He went on to tell her about the prejudice he's faced in the workplace, too.

"Me being an African-American, I have 2 degrees, but I can't get a job with two degrees because of my skin color," he said.

This eventually led him to become his own boss and start his own business, Grand Strand Appliance Repair Services.

He said even customers will question his qualifications from time to time.

"I have customers asking me 'are you certified? Do you know what you're doing?' I mean they want a background history," he said.

It was an eye-opening conversation for Brock. She said it was an uncomfortable dialogue to initiate, but a much-needed one.

"Let's not pretend that it doesn't exist. Let's ask the hard questions and be willing and open to see what's under there," Brock said. "It's really about listening with an open mind instead of thinking you know."

She wanted to share what she learned with the world, in the hopes that his story would enlighten others, too.

With his permission, she posted what she learned from him on Facebook.

The post has since gone viral. It's been 'liked' and shared hundreds of thousands of times.

Skelton said people from all around the world have been reaching out to him nonstop, either with messages of sympathy, or stories of similar run-ins with law enforcement.

Even Myrtle Beach City Manager John Pedersen said he saw the post. In an email to ABC 15, he said he found Skelton's allegations "disturbing" and that Myrtle Beach police were investigating.

However, he said so far, they have only found record of one incident with Skelton, and it was related to a traffic incident back in 2014. He said they are continuing to look into the matter.

Skelton said he feels many of his encounters with local police went undocumented, though.

"Plenty of times I get pulled over for no reason, so if I'm getting pulled over for no reason at all, of course they're not going to put that in their record," he said.

Ernest Skelton said he doesn't have high hopes things will change for the black community, but he said when people in positions of privilege, like Caroline Brock, are willing to ask and listen, it's certainly a good start.

"It's about listening and it's about uplifting," Brock said.
So in your last 2 posts, you implied that people think police are flawless, which no one said. Then you said "it's always the liberals fault", which no one ever said. Your last two posts are responding to points which no one made.

I said two things, and I'd like for you to tell me which of these is incorrect, and why.

1. Urban violence is way more destructive to black lives, than the police. Not even close.

2. Stupid liberal policies (attacking the nuclear family, incentivizing fatherlessness, making people addicted to welfare, opposing school choice) are making urban violence worse.

Try your very best, not to respond by saying "so Jim wants to kill everybody..." Try responding to what I actually said, not to the voices in your head.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:

If that were true, if there were ANY evidence of that, a team of lawyers would represent this person for free in a massive lawsuit.

Anyone can post anything on the internet Pete. This proves nothing.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #35
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
armed guard at the entrance to the "CHAZ" anarchy zone. What could go wrong?
So armed protester at State houses good

Armed liberal protester Bad

cant have both ways
Old 06-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #36
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

What are his degrees in, would be my first question?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 06-11-2020, 03:41 PM   #37
wdmso

Quote:
Which is why we have something called the police. But because a statistically insignificant number of them are bad, and because your side will say or do absolutely anything for political advantage, they have been demonized, convincing simple-minded snowflakes that cops only represent a threat that's best to avoid.

The police is probably the only urban institution in the country that works. And now we're going to minimize that. That'll help blacks.

Nine unarmed blacks were killed by police in all of 2019. Nine. 18 blacks were murdered in Chicago on one recent day, May 31. Twice as many as were killed by cops in a year. Sure, by all means, let's start riots over the miniscule threat, and ignore the much more serious threat, because the serious threat pays no political dividends to you, and that's what this is all about, obviously.

Jim your out of touch this comment shows it "miniscule threat" who are you to make that.. are you black do you live that daily with that possibility.. have you lived in that fear

being killed unarmed by the Police is in a different league

Blacks kill black white kill white hispanics kill other hispanics thats how the world works it built into the structures of where we live

being killed by the Police or how police treat the public is Huge ..

the dont tread on me flag isn't just for Trump rallies or 2A protest

it applies to police killing and treatment they represent the Government the authority AKA tyranny

but some here thinks that doesn't apply to police actions

cruel, unreasonable, or arbitrary use of power or control. sound about right ... just because the above actions may be seen as miniscule threat by those with no knee on their neck .. doesn't mean its not a valid sentiment
Old 06-11-2020, 04:20 PM   #38
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
What, John mischaracterizing things to fit his own paranoia? He’s been doing it for a while.

First time I think I've ever been called paranoid ; )

No Spence, this is part of the the arc of instability I've discussed with some people over the past decade. The polarization, the problems of the extremes (both sides Wayne), the divide along identity, to increasingly end up in violence. The institutional march through American history to excise 150 and 200 years ago by today's standards. I am marginally OK with *some* Conf Statues being relegated to Museums but it won't stop there. The monuments at Gettysburg will be removed. The monuments for Washington and Jefferson will be removed. Everything will be canceled in a mob mentality, with no eye for history or what it means, for social justice,

Like Nuance, but with Nukes.

Now the little kids have their little Lord of the Flies Island, but with weed and firearms*, what could go wrong.

* Not a problem as long as they are following federal and state regs like the rest of us.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 06-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #39
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

So armed protester at State houses good (didn't break stuff and went home)

Armed liberal protester Bad (broke a lot of stuff and won't leave)

I'm shocked you don't see the difference
Old 06-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #40
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

The monuments at Gettysburg will be removed. The monuments for Washington and Jefferson will be removed. Everything will be canceled in a mob mentality, with no eye for history or what it means, for social justice
ironically removed by people who idolize Che', Mao and Marx etc...
Old 06-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #41
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jim your out of touch this comment shows it "miniscule threat" who are you to make that.. are you black do you live that daily with that possibility.. have you lived in that fear

being killed unarmed by the Police is in a different league

Blacks kill black white kill white hispanics kill other hispanics thats how the world works it built into the structures of where we live

being killed by the Police or how police treat the public is Huge ..

the dont tread on me flag isn't just for Trump rallies or 2A protest

it applies to police killing and treatment they represent the Government the authority AKA tyranny

but some here thinks that doesn't apply to police actions

cruel, unreasonable, or arbitrary use of power or control. sound about right ... just because the above actions may be seen as miniscule threat by those with no knee on their neck .. doesn't mean its not a valid sentiment
""miniscule threat" who are you to make that"

Let's go really, really slow here.

I don't make it a miniscule threat. The data says it is.

9 unarmed blacks were killed by the police in the whole country in 2019. Nine.

18 blacks were murdered in Chicago (one city) on May 32 (one day).

Are you going to tell us with a straight face, that urban violence isn't a much bigger threat to blacks, than cops? Based on what?

I go where the facts take me. The facts here, couldn't be more clear.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Quote:
So armed protester at State houses good

Armed liberal protester Bad

cant have both ways
As Scott said, conservatives don't generally riot. It's almost always liberals who do that.

Look at what places look like after the tea party has had a rally, or after the armed guards protesting state houses (which I didn't like for the record, but the fat is there were no issues).Compare that to what it looks like after liberals (occupy wall street, antifa, BLM, these potheads in Seattle).

If you owned a restaurant across from a park, who would you rather see protesting in that park? The tea party, antifa, BLM, or Occupy Wall Street?

Have fun with that one.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #43
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:

9 unarmed blacks were killed by the police in the whole country in 2019. Nine.
That would equate to .0000028% of the US population

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #44
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Ph#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g-A, the PROBLEM was in the MINNEAPOLIS PD, who should have gotten rid of the INDIVIDUAL LEO, who had DOZENS, yes DOZENS of complaints, write ups, incidents, call it what you want. He was a BAD APPLE! Put his azz in a cell and throw the key away. I saw enough on the video. So has the world.... But don't condemn the whole system of LAW ENFORCEMENT... An overhaul and review of each and every force might be in the cards, no doubt. Get rid of the bad guys. Perfect opportunity to out them now, without risking the unwritten rules of the police brotherhood. But defunding???? Come on. The country has gone mad....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #45
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
That would equate to .0000028% of the US population
and while one is too many, it’s not an epidemic. it doesn’t even approach the impact of urban violence within the black community. not even close.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #46
scottw

complete madness....this is getting interesting...

Boston College issues public apology for allowing cops to use restroom: ‘It will not happen again’
June 11, 2020
Old 06-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #47
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
really?...
Yes, I wasn’t sure what rights, as laid out by the constitution, were being violated.

Free speech?
Bearing arms?
Freedom of assembly?
Freedom to representation?
Freedom from unwarranted search and seizure?

Shall I continue?

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #48
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
and while one is too many, it’s not an epidemic. it doesn’t even approach the impact of urban violence within the black community. not even close.
It’s really incredible that even now you continue to fail to realize these are different things.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #49
wdmso

Quote:
As Scott said, conservatives don't generally riot. It's almost always liberals who do that.

Look at what places look like after the tea party has had a rally, or after the armed guards protesting state houses (which I didn't like for the record, but the fat is there were no issues).Compare that to what it looks like after liberals (occupy wall street, antifa, BLM, these potheads in Seattle).

If you owned a restaurant across from a park, who would you rather see protesting in that park? The tea party, antifa, BLM, or Occupy Wall Street?

Have fun with that one.
Like i said liberal with gun excersing his 2a rights bad ...conservative with a gun excersing his 2a right good ..

What could go wrong

Occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

Who did this liberals

You know why conservatives dont riot. Their to old
Old 06-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #50
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Yes, I wasn’t sure what rights, as laid out by the constitution, were being violated.

Free speech?
Bearing arms?
Freedom of assembly?
Freedom to representation?
Freedom from unwarranted search and seizure?

Shall I continue?
no I think you've got it correct...if your neighborhood is taken over and occupied by a mob and your local and state government won't do anything about it the Constitution(US and State) is meaningless...you have no rights except those granted by the mob...

Old 06-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #51
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
no I think you've got it correct...if your neighborhood is taken over and occupied by a mob and your local and state government won't do anything about it the Constitution(US and State) is meaningless...you have no rights except those granted by the mob...

Is there evidence that this mob is robbing people of their constitutional rights?

Old 06-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #52
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
It’s really incredible that even now you continue to fail to realize these are different things.
I think he realizes it, that's his point.

If Black Lives truly do matter, why are we putting maximum effort to fix something that cost 9 lives in all of 2019 in the entire U.S. and so little effort into trying to fix something that cost 18 lives, last weekend, in just 1 U.S. City.

It's a valid question

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 06-11-2020, 09:50 PM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:
Like i said liberal with gun excersing his 2a rights bad ...conservative with a gun excersing his 2a right good ..

What could go wrong

Occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

Who did this liberals

You know why conservatives dont riot. Their to old
amount of trouble when those conservatives showed up
with guns? zero, as usual.

pissed off liberals with guns = dead cops.

there’s the difference.

now, i asked you if you thought that cops were anywhere near as big a threat to blacks, as other blacks in the cities?

how about answering the damn question?
Old 06-12-2020, 04:31 AM   #54
scottw

Quote:
Is there evidence that this mob is robbing people of their constitutional rights?
no, there is clearly no evidence that a mob taking over a portion of an American city and establishing armed check points and declaring it an autonomous zone is taking away anyone's rights...I'm sure every resident and business owner, property and person who may have worked in that area is happy with the situation......

there is quite a bit of evidence that the Seattle mayor is insane however and has no intention of protecting her citizens..

"Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan on Thursday defended the protesters who have declared an “autonomous zone” on the city’s street as “patriotic.”

In her remarks to the press, Durkan also said President Trump’s threat to send in federal resources to crack down on the protesters was “unconstitutional and illegal.”

“Unfortunately, our President wants to tell a story about domestic terrorists who have a radical agenda and are promoting a conspiracy that fits his law and order initiatives,” Durkan said, according to Patch.

“It’s simply not true. Lawfully gathering and expressing first amendment rights, demanding we do better as a society, and providing true equity for communities of color is not terrorism. It’s patriotism.”

LAWFUL GATHERINGS? I bet if they were occupying her neighborhood she'd have a completely different view

https://youtu.be/KafIdOk8bLs

I'm thinking about getting some guns and some friends and taking over a block or two around a couple of nice drinking establishments this weekend...maybe bring some spray paint and do some artwork and throw some bricks.....call it "patriotic" and "peaceful protest".....because I'm feeling woke

.....good grief

Last edited by scottw; 06-12-2020 at 05:31 AM..
Old 06-12-2020, 06:53 AM   #55
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
no, there is clearly no evidence that a mob taking over a portion of an American city and establishing armed check points and declaring it an autonomous zone is taking away anyone's rights...I'm sure every resident and business owner, property and person who may have worked in that area is happy with the situation......

there is quite a bit of evidence that the Seattle mayor is insane however and has no intention of protecting her citizens..

"Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan on Thursday defended the protesters who have declared an “autonomous zone” on the city’s street as “patriotic.”

In her remarks to the press, Durkan also said President Trump’s threat to send in federal resources to crack down on the protesters was “unconstitutional and illegal.”

“Unfortunately, our President wants to tell a story about domestic terrorists who have a radical agenda and are promoting a conspiracy that fits his law and order initiatives,” Durkan said, according to Patch.

“It’s simply not true. Lawfully gathering and expressing first amendment rights, demanding we do better as a society, and providing true equity for communities of color is not terrorism. It’s patriotism.”

LAWFUL GATHERINGS? I bet if they were occupying her neighborhood she'd have a completely different view

https://youtu.be/KafIdOk8bLs

I'm thinking about getting some guns and some friends and taking over a block or two around a couple of nice drinking establishments this weekend...maybe bring some spray paint and do some artwork and throw some bricks.....call it "patriotic" and "peaceful protest".....because I'm feeling woke

.....good grief
At least we agree they aren’t taking anyone’s right away, or at least that there isn’t evidence of it

Old 06-12-2020, 06:53 AM   #56
Ian
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I think he realizes it, that's his point.

If Black Lives truly do matter, why are we putting maximum effort to fix something that cost 9 lives in all of 2019 in the entire U.S. and so little effort into trying to fix something that cost 18 lives, last weekend, in just 1 U.S. City.

It's a valid question
We can do both

Old 06-12-2020, 06:55 AM   #57
Pete F.
Canceled

This happened 100 years ago and the economic effects of this and similar events had long lasting effects.
But only blacks riot

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2020, 07:02 AM   #58
scottw

Quote:
At least we agree they aren’t taking anyone’s right away, or at least that there isn’t evidence of it
ok
Old 06-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #59
Pete F.
Canceled

What could be done about police violence, real or imagined?
First of all we could track what is happening, we don't.
Police Departments are being accused of violating citizens Constitutional rights.

The Federal Government actually has an entity created to make sure that the Constitution is followed.
It was created after the Civil War to ensure that the 14th, 15th and 16th amendments were followed.
No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
It's called the Department of Justice.
It doesn't have jurisdiction over looting, vandalism, and even assault as they are all state crimes and may have some jurisdiction over rioting in some cases.
But it does have the power to examine pattern and practice in law enforcement organizations.
A systemic review of some police organizations starting with Minneapolis, Buffalo, NYC etc. would be well within it's purview.
But Barr refuses to do that.
One would think that he would apply the same diligence and enthusiasm to investigating law enforcement organizations at the state level as he has at the Federal level, it is a core responsibility of the organization he leads.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 06-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #60
Sea Dangles

Quote:
We can do both
Even Obamacouldnt fix Chicago.his own state....
This selective outrage has folks temporarily twisted.
Black lives matter
But mostly only because they have been victims of a white citizen.
When they kill each other it is something to ignore
Shift focus and the libs play along.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN