Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Fly Rod

Fox News Tells It Like It Is

Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Every TV station except for one, treats the guy like he's a God. Instead of being grateful, he never stops attacking the one station that doesn't worship him. Imagine if Bush obsessed over all the networks that bashed him. A thin-skinned, petty, vindictive, despot.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
People @ Fox News are a bunch of Racist !!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Nebe

When you realize that all cable news stations are purposfully pandering to the left or the right, you might realize that you are being fed propaganda that fuels the polarization. It disgusts me. Both sides do it.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
buckman

It's disproportionately for the left though . I will give you an example from just yesterday .
The networks aired a segment where they interviewed a student that had successfully , according to the news, signed up for Obama care ( truly a noteworthy achievement ) . The problem was he turned out to be a former Obama campaign worker who actually didn't sign up.
Now... How do you think this erroneous reporting could have happened on so many news outlets?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
When you realize that all cable news stations are purposfully pandering to the left or the right, you might realize that you are being fed propaganda that fuels the polarization. It disgusts me. Both sides do it.
In every prime-time slot on Foxnews, every single night, you see liberals and conservatives expressing both sides of every important issue. Foxnews is right-leaning, no doubt. But to suggest it is the mirror image of the other stations would be 100% incorrect. It is, by far, the closest thing you can find to balanced coverage. Which is what people want. Which is why they clobber everyone else in ratings.

In my opinion, most liberals don't want to have a serious, honest debate on most issues. Because when you do an honest, open-minded comparison of what both sides are actually saying (instead of taking Rachael Maddow's word for what conservatives are saying), much of the liberal agenda (not all of it) looks like somethig a spoiled 4 year-old would suggest. Gimme, gimme, gimme, don't talk to me about affordability or responsibility. That's why the other stations surround themselves with liberals, and demonize my side, rather than debatring. When Rachael Maddow wants to show the conservative opinion, she'll put a Klansmen on there, or a toothless cracker, to show everyone how contemptible we really are. She never has someone like CHarles Krauthammer on there, because she knows he would make her look like the idiot she is.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Jackbass
Land OF Forgotten Toys

Last year around this time we had an opportunity to do something about this as a country. Now many are realizing the effect this presidency is going to have on our country. This legislation was supposed to be a victory for the middle class, this presidency was supposed to be a victory for the middle class. The divide is growing and the wealthy are doing what it takes to maintain their wealth regardless of how it affects the USA (that's why they are wealthy). The dollar is going to tank and we the middle class will be left to hold the bag.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
buckman

And If I hear " wait and see which side blinks first" one more time from any of them including Fox I'm shutting off the news until this is over.
That's sort of rhetoric, from a news organization, is part of the problem our shallow politicians can't get anything done
Old 10-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Nebe

Amen buckman. I don't own a tv.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
If I didn't have little kids, I wouldn't either!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
FishermanTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
And If I hear " wait and see which side blinks first" one more time from any of them including Fox I'm shutting off the news until this is over.
That's sort of rhetoric, from a news organization, is part of the problem our shallow politicians can't get anything done
Whenever they say that, you can bet your last cent that they don't have anything to report, nothing to say, and are waiting to be told what to report.

Kind of what Obama would be like without a teleprompter!

I am a legend in my own mind!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
buckman

Quote:
You know I just might go that route myself.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Problem is we don't have a leader who will negotiate on what is best for the American people. A leader brings people together and gets things done for the sake of the people, not dig his heals in for the sake of his own agenda.
Divide and conquer.

" Choose Life "
Old 10-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplugit View Post
Problem is we don't have a leader who will negotiate on what is best for the American people. A leader brings people together and gets things done for the sake of the people, not dig his heals in for the sake of his own agenda.
Divide and conquer.
I agree. What a sad state of affairs we have . Still more the half blame the Republicans.
And 18% are happy with the way the governments running right now.
It's a crazy world we live in.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
Nebe

Quote:
You know I just might go that route myself.
It's like finding inner peace. I get a lot more done without it. I will still watch a little netflix or Hbo on my laptop (thanks mom ) but that's it. I listen to NPR or read what news I chose to read online.

TV really does rot your brain. Especially the 24 hour news cycle.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
buckman

Quote:
It's like finding inner peace. I get a lot more done without it. I will still watch a little netflix or Hbo on my laptop (thanks mom ) but that's it. I listen to NPR or read what news I chose to read online.

TV really does rot your brain. Especially the 24 hour news cycle.
Actually I have no time to watch it anyways, I waste too much time arguing with you knuckleheads
Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Too busy over the weekend to watch any news (other than the weather channel) or check on any news on the web. Pretty bad when you finally watch the morning news and its depressing.

Must be some good paid for advertising with hot chicks on at 7am. Its certainly more entertaining.

"TV because of little kids" ahhhh training the next minions to the talking picture box! Excellent!

Ski Quicks Hole
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Too busy over the weekend to watch any news (other than the weather channel) or check on any news on the web. Pretty bad when you finally watch the morning news and its depressing.

Must be some good paid for advertising with hot chicks on at 7am. Its certainly more entertaining.

"TV because of little kids" ahhhh training the next minions to the talking picture box! Excellent!
When you have one, you will understand the benefit of an episode of mickey mouse to get some #^&#^&#^&#^& done.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #19
DZ

It is interesting that Fox news blows away all their competition in the ratings war.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid View Post
Yes, because I let them watch 12 hours a day, which is precisely what I said.

A little Sesame Strteet never hurt anybody...
Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
It is interesting that Fox news blows away all their competition in the ratings war.
To be fair, part of that is because liberals have several TV stations (all of them except Foxnews) to choose from. So they are all splitting the liberal share. Fox, on the other hand, has a monopoly on the non-liberal viewpoint.

You'd think that a failing station like MSNBC might try to follow Fox's lead to eat into their ratings, but nope, they'd rather go down with the ship.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
Fox changed the game. They came in hard with a lot of big talent and pushed the sensationalized format that others have had to respond to. MSNBC went left and CNN shifted to the middle.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
To be fair, part of that is because liberals have several TV stations (all of them except Foxnews) to choose from. So they are all splitting the liberal share. Fox, on the other hand, has a monopoly on the non-liberal viewpoint.

You'd think that a failing station like MSNBC might try to follow Fox's lead to eat into their ratings, but nope, they'd rather go down with the ship.
Remember the days when you had to think for yourself when you watched the news? You got 30 minutes at 6:30 to listen to the tv and then you had to resort to the newspaper. There was also this thin called "investigative reporting". Now if you watch tv you have a 24 hour news cycle spitting out garbage opinions that you want to hear. Mostly negative.

I hate tv and I hate the news. It's the number one reason that this country is divided on so many issues.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #24
spence

Blame the web more than TV. It's allowed people with little to no credibility spout whatever they want and have it packaged as the real deal. Drudge is one of the worst offenders with a mass audience.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
Nebe

True. Very true.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #26
Raven

i see way too many news Anchors trying to be comedians
far to often with absolutely Horrendous jokes to
bother listening to any of them....

Fox News takes the cake for that and eats it too.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #27
Pete F.
Canceled

Google "Race Card Project"
Interesting spin on the CARD
If someone asks, I would say I am Norwegian, Swedish and the rest is Dutch and English.
But it seems if one of those ancestors was Black, it cancels out the rest.
Just in case you were wondering, in the case of a liberal politician that is a good thing.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 10-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #28
lamigsb1

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the Term Obamacare really should be renamed to Obamaswalloewdcare that way the uneducated American people could actually understand that the affordable health act is just a shadow of the single payer system that was wanted by the president. What we know as obamacare is a poorly designed law which was negotiated by both parties, passed both the house and the senate and has been signed into law. The shutdown is the equivalent of the starting pitcher leaving with the only game ball after the coach pulls him in the top of the 8th.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamigsb1 View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong but the Term Obamacare really should be renamed to Obamaswalloewdcare that way the uneducated American people could actually understand that the affordable health act is just a shadow of the single payer system that was wanted by the president. What we know as obamacare is a poorly designed law which was negotiated by both parties, passed both the house and the senate and has been signed into law. The shutdown is the equivalent of the starting pitcher leaving with the only game ball after the coach pulls him in the top of the 8th.
Negotiated by both parties ? That's not how I remember it
Old 10-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #30
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Fox changed the game. They came in hard with a lot of big talent and pushed the sensationalized format that others have had to respond to. MSNBC went left and CNN shifted to the middle.
It's so refreshing that we can freely admit, now, that "news" outlets are biased. For the longest time, pre-fox, we were admonished that complaints of network bias were unfounded. That anchors and reporters were all purely objective, and not to worry about undue influence toward liberal agendas.

All it took for us to admit the truth was the appearance of an interloper in the sanctimonious realm of "pure" journalism. Fox, the black sheep in this herd of the hallowed press, gained a following which was weaned from the "major" networks, and it had to be reckoned with. And the accusation of its right leaning bias exposed a true difference, at least in the eyes of those who finally could watch news without barfing.