Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
Pete F.
Canceled

Since he's going to Hanoi, will he visit the Hilton?

John McCain’s flight suit, helmet, and parachute are on display in a glass case at a Hanoi prison nine blocks from where President Trump is expected to meet with the North Korean leader this week.

The arched brick entrance to what the Vietnamese call Hoa Lo Prison and American POWs dubbed the Hanoi Hilton still bears the words “MAISON CENTRALE” that McCain would recall seeing when he was carried there a half century ago.

At the time, McCain had two broken arms and a broken leg suffered while ejecting from his stricken warplane. He had been beaten and bayoneted after he landed in Truc Bach Lake, which is also within easy walking distance of the upcoming summit with Kim Jong Un.

The site of the capture is now marked by a stone monument. The inscription is in Vietnamese but a date and name is recognizable to an English speaker.

“26-10-1967...JOHN SIDNEY MCCAIN”

Of course, neither the monument inscription nor the museum display make any mention of the years of torture McCain suffered. Nor is there mention of the offer of early release the Vietnamese made to McCain 10 months after his capture. They did so upon learning his father was the new commander-in-chief of U.S. forces in the Pacific.

McCain famously refused, citing the P.O.W. Code of Conduct, which prohibits accepting special favors from the enemy, including being released other than in the order of capture. He would later voice a more visceral reason, drawn from that selfless sector of the soul from which true American greatness rises.

"I knew that every prisoner the Vietnamese tried to break, those who had arrived before me and those who would come after me, would be taunted with the story of how an admiral's son had gone home early, a lucky beneficiary of America's class-conscious society," McCain would subsequently explain.

At the time, McCain simply told the Vietnamese he was not interested. He would recall one of the guards warning, “Now, McCain, it will be very bad for you.”

That very same week in July of 1968, Local Draft Board No. 3 in Jamaica, Queens, New York changed Donald Trump’s classification from 2S (“registrant deferred because of activity in study”) to 1A (“available for military service.”) Trump was suddenly in danger of being drafted and sent to Vietnam.

By October, Trump had secured a letter from a doctor saying that he suffered from bone spurs in his heels. Trump was reclassified to 1Y (“registrant qualified for service only in time of war or national emergency”) and then 4F (“registrant not qualified for military service.”) He remained free to ride around New York City in a limo and pursue a social life that later prompted him to say that STDs were “my Vietnam.”

In the meantime, McCain endured five more years of torture and torment. He survived to become a U.S. senator from Arizona and to run unsuccessfully for president.

When Trump took a turn at running for president, McCain took exception with his base-rousing description of Mexican immigrants as rapists and criminals. Trump responded by declaring that McCain was “not a war hero.”

“He's a war hero because he was captured,” Trump famously remarked. “I like people that weren't captured.”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

Thanks for exposing this PeteF. Rest assured knowing you have made a remarkable contribution.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Thanks for exposing this PeteF. Rest assured knowing you have made a remarkable contribution.
He's really, really reaching for criticism now.

McCain's broken arm never fully healed, and he can't lift it past his waist without pain, so he can't really use computers. In 2008 he admitted that he couldn't use email, but didn't specify why. When he admitted he didn't use computers much, during the 2008 campaign, I remember democrats, and hosts at MCNBC, and everyone in Hollywood, and then the Obama campaign, making fun of him that he didn't use computers or email. They didn't bother to ask the reason why.

It's totally fine when those people mocked McCain (didn't stop Obama from winning the election or Nobel Peace prize), but totally unacceptable when Trump did it. I also hated it when Trump did it, and assumed that was the end of his campaign.

Pete, from Obama's ad...

"“But McCain … hasn’t (changed),” the disembodied voice intones. “He admits he still doesn’t know how to use a computer, can’t send an email. We just can’t afford a president” who is out of touch, the ad concludes.

“I’m Barack Obama, and I approved this message,” a bubbly Obama says at the very end.

Pete, explain why it's OK for an Obama ad to mock McCain for injuries he sustained during the war?

https://dailycaller.com/2015/03/11/f...e-email-video/
Old 02-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
spence

You do know the McCain campaign said he travels with a laptop.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You do know the McCain campaign said he travels with a laptop.
McCain also said he didn't use computers much. He was mocked for that. The reason why he can't use it much, is arm pain from war wounds.

To you and Pete, it's fair game that Obama attacked him for his POW experience, but it was bad that Trump did it.

Liberal=good, conservative=bad, no exceptions, not ever.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
McCain also said he didn't use computers much. He was mocked for that. The reason why he can't use it much, is arm pain from war wounds.

Liberal=good, conservative=bad, no exceptions, not ever.
seem you can't keep score very well

in your world you see Liberals 10 Conservatives 100 as a tie game

Funny Trump lashed out at spike lee. (butt hurt) but said nothing about North korean news story

Korean state media on Sunday reportedly blamed Democrats and U.S. intelligence officials for undercutting this week's summit between President Trump

Funny Trump and and the usual suspects have no issue with it .. they think it's the truth anyway
Old 02-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
I knew about his arm injuries but never that it prohibited him from email. Sounds like you’re conflating things.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
He's really, really reaching for criticism now.

McCain's broken arm never fully healed, and he can't lift it past his waist without pain, so he can't really use computers. In 2008 he admitted that he couldn't use email, but didn't specify why. When he admitted he didn't use computers much, during the 2008 campaign, I remember democrats, and hosts at MCNBC, and everyone in Hollywood, and then the Obama campaign, making fun of him that he didn't use computers or email. They didn't bother to ask the reason why.

It's totally fine when those people mocked McCain (didn't stop Obama from winning the election or Nobel Peace prize), but totally unacceptable when Trump did it. I also hated it when Trump did it, and assumed that was the end of his campaign.

Pete, from Obama's ad...

"“But McCain … hasn’t (changed),” the disembodied voice intones. “He admits he still doesn’t know how to use a computer, can’t send an email. We just can’t afford a president” who is out of touch, the ad concludes.

“I’m Barack Obama, and I approved this message,” a bubbly Obama says at the very end.

Pete, explain why it's OK for an Obama ad to mock McCain for injuries he sustained during the war?

https://dailycaller.com/2015/03/11/f...e-email-video/

You missed the point as usual

That very same week in July of 1968, Local Draft Board No. 3 in Jamaica, Queens, New York changed Donald Trump’s classification from 2S (“registrant deferred because of activity in study”) to 1A (“available for military service.”) Trump was suddenly in danger of being drafted and sent to Vietnam.

By October, Trump had secured a letter from a doctor saying that he suffered from bone spurs in his heels. Trump was reclassified to 1Y (“registrant qualified for service only in time of war or national emergency”) and then 4F (“registrant not qualified for military service.”) He remained free to ride around New York City in a limo and pursue a social life that later prompted him to say that STDs were “my Vietnam.”

In the meantime, McCain endured five more years of torture and torment.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
PaulS

Quote:

To you and Pete, it's fair game that Obama attacked him for his POW experience, but it was bad that Trump did .
Can you tell me exactly what he said because I don't recall Obama insulting McCain for his pow experience? I wonder how McCain got past it since they had Obama talk at his funeral.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Can you tell me exactly what he said because I don't recall Obama insulting McCain for his pow experience? I wonder how McCain got past it since they had Obama talk at his funeral.
Scroll up a little bit, I posted the commercial.

McCain forgave Obama. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, doesn't mean it's not a naked hypocrisy for democrats to hold Trump accountable and give Obama a pass.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #11
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

McCain forgave Obama. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, doesn't mean it's not a naked hypocrisy for democrats to hold Trump accountable and give Obama a pass.
Once again you quote a not quite true story, he admitted to being a bit of a Luddite. Lots of people are and get picked on for it, without suffering permanent damage to their ego.
What Trump said about McCain was but one of many far out of line statements he has consistently made.

Your ability to consistently what about in Don the Cons defense amazes me.

Lucky McCain didn’t have bone spurs, then he probably would have been really infirm.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-25-2019, 09:54 PM   #12
PaulS

"He admits he still doesn’t know how to use a computer, can’t send an email,” the ad from the tech-savvy 2008 Obama campaign charges."

I will state I could not see the video for some reason

Saying he doesn't know how to use a computer is not mocking his disability. A person with one finger can still send an email. You've reaching so far you're probably dislocated your shoulder. Seems like you have a different set of standards for liberal vs. conservative. If a Democrat ever said what Trump has said about the military you would be going ballistic and would have brought it up day after day when he was president.

Last edited by PaulS; 02-25-2019 at 09:59 PM..
Old 02-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

This whole thread belongs on the Short Bus

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 02-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
"He admits he still doesn’t know how to use a computer, can’t send an email,” the ad from the tech-savvy 2008 Obama campaign charges."

I will state I could not see the video for some reason

Saying he doesn't know how to use a computer is not mocking his disability. A person with one finger can still send an email. You've reaching so far you're probably dislocated your shoulder. Seems like you have a different set of standards for liberal vs. conservative. If a Democrat ever said what Trump has said about the military you would be going ballistic and would have brought it up day after day when he was president.
McCain said that his inability to use computers much, was due to his disability. But let's all make fun of him for it.

The guy flew jets off an aircraft carrier, I think he is capable of sending emails.

But let's bend over backwards to defend what Obama did, and hold Trump accountable for everything he has ever done, as well as thing she never did (you don't do that Paul, but you know what I mean).

This thread is a great example of where we are right now. Trump is there to negotiate with a maniac, and if he doesn't stop and see the McCain memorials, that makes him a bad person.

Trumps comments about McCain in 2016 were beyond disgusting. This is nothing. i’m more disturbed
that Trump mocked the idea of owning a dog, i don’t trust a guy who doesnt like dogs.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:11 AM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

Sen. John McCain (R-Arizona) just gave a candid reply for why he doesn't use email.

According to a National Journal report published Wednesday, McCain said he might angrily fire off missives he ends up regretting later.

"I don't email at all," McCain said. "I have other people and I tell them to email because I am just always worried I might say something. I am not the most calm and reserved person you know? I am afraid I might email something that in retrospect I wish I hadn't."
Old 02-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #16
PaulS

Quote:
McCain said that his inability to use computers much, was due to his disability. But let's all make fun of him for it.And how many posts here were about Obama's mom jeans or riding on his bike? The issue was about trying to make McCain seem old for not using email/computer, not a disability.

The guy flew jets off an aircraft carrier, I think he is capable of sending emails. I'm sure he is but the point is that he didn't. Not bc of his disability, but bc I'm guessing he choose not to for some reason.

But let's bend over backwards to defend what Obama did, and hold Trump accountable for everything he has ever done, as well as thing she never did (you don't do that Paul, but you know what I mean).

This thread is a great example of where we are right now. Trump is there to negotiate with a maniac, and if he doesn't stop and see the McCain memorials, that makes him a bad person.

Trumps comments about McCain in 2016 were beyond disgusting. This is nothing. i’m more disturbed
that Trump mocked the idea of owning a dog, i don’t trust a guy who doesnt like dogs.
Then don't defend the indefensible. You admit Trump does/says vile things that most people would never say. His criticism of McCain and the generals (esp. w/his own bone spurs issue) can’t be defended, so don’t try.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Then don't defend the indefensible. You admit Trump does/says vile things that most people would never say. His criticism of McCain and the generals (esp. w/his own bone spurs issue) can’t be defended, so don’t try.
paul, all i’m asking for, is a little consistency, particularly from pete.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #18
Sea Dangles

That is how the left operate, they like to light the fuse and walk away. If you attempt to make sense of it or call out their hypocrisy then they have a meltdown. Particularly PeteF.,who likes to lob grenades and demonstrate his lack of understanding on an almost daily basis. Then when Jim points out the stupidity that has been spewed the goal line gets moved. If I have to listen to Paul whine about mom jeans again then he just may have to be taken out of the cryogenic chamber and leave Walt Disney to freeze.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #19
Nebe

I’m surprised his bone spurs didn’t prevent him from going to Vietnam. Again.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

I no way did he insult McCain for his injuries, even the Daily Caller didn't make that far fetched connection.

"The 2008 Obama ad, entitled “Still,” ridicules McCain for his professed inability to handle email as a communication forum.

“1982,” a somewhat angry, somewhat patronizing male voiceover in the ad begins, as a disco ball spins.

“John McCain goes to Washington. Things have changed in the last 26 years,” the voice says, as viewers see a Rubik’s cube, a hoary desktop computer and a woman answering a hugely thick mobile telephone.

“But McCain … hasn’t,” the disembodied voice intones. “He admits he still doesn’t know how to use a computer, can’t send an email.”

The ad then goes on to accuse McCain of failing to understand economics and favoring corporate tax cuts.

But as usual, you spend your time defending Don the Con with butthurt imaginary issues.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #21
PaulS

Quote:
That is how the left operate, they like to light the fuse and walk away. If you attempt to make sense of it or call out their hypocrisy then they have a meltdown. Particularly PeteF.,who likes to lob grenades and demonstrate his lack of understanding on an almost daily basis. Then when Jim points out the stupidity that has been spewed the goal line gets moved. If I have to listen to Paul whine about mom jeans again then he just may have to be taken out of the cryogenic chamber and leave Walt Disney to freeze.If I were you I would just go back to lurking and sulking.
How did Pete walk away? He has already responded a few times. Are you just making crap up?
Old 02-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
I’m surprised his bone spurs didn’t prevent him from going to Vietnam. Again.
Totally a fair club to use against him.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #23
Sea Dangles

Quote:
How did Pete walk away? He has already responded a few times. Are you just making crap up?
Keep spewing my little Obama jeans boy.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
But as usual, you spend your time defending Don the Con with butthurt imaginary issues.
The fact that you keep saying this, shows how either dishonest, or unhinged, you are.

I despise him. I have more reason to despise him than you do. But I criticize him for things he actually says and does, and I don't criticize him for things that I'm fine when others do.

When I point out the naked hypocrisy, you accuse me of whataboutism. So the problem isn't that you're a hypocrite, the character flaw is mine for pointing out rank hypocrisy.

Try. Making. That. Wrong.

Look no further than the kids in cages issue, no liberals gave a damn when Obama did it, no one even knew Obama was doing it, and if anyone knew, they sure didn't care. But when Trump did it, then it became immoral, then it was a crisis!!!!!

Same with the wall, which was swell in 2006 and in 2013, but now it's unnecessary, now walls don't work, and not only that, walls are racist and immoral!!!

I'm not asking you to be Sean Hannity and lick Trumps boots. But it would be nice if you stuck to actual ethical lapses (of which there are more than enough to keep you busy), and if possible, don't criticize him for things you gave Obama a pass for. Or at least explain the discrepancy?
Old 02-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #25
PaulS

Quote:
Keep spewing my little Obama jeans boy.
Par for the course - nothing to add.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #26
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
The fact that you keep saying this, shows how either dishonest, or unhinged, you are.

I despise him. I have more reason to despise him than you do. But I criticize him for things he actually says and does, and I don't criticize him for things that I'm fine when others do.

When I point out the naked hypocrisy, you accuse me of whataboutism. So the problem isn't that you're a hypocrite, the character flaw is mine for pointing out rank hypocrisy.

Try. Making. That. Wrong. I think you need punctuation lessons.

Look no further than the kids in cages issue, no liberals gave a damn when Obama did it, no one even knew Obama was doing it, and if anyone knew, they sure didn't care. But when Trump did it, then it became immoral, then it was a crisis!!!!!

Prior to Trump the policy during both the Bush and Obama administrations was to separate children from parents who were criminals.
Trump policy charged ALL parents and separated ALL children.
This is the same thing I tell you every time you bring it up, apparently you see no difference.

Same with the wall, which was swell in 2006 and in 2013, but now it's unnecessary, now walls don't work, and not only that, walls are racist and immoral!!!

WALLS are not needed perhaps fences in some locations, I personally just want to see what the plan is, and have more than Trump supplicants say it is needed. I do think Trump is racist and immoral, so perhaps his WALL is guilty by association.

I'm not asking you to be Sean Hannity and lick Trumps boots. But it would be nice if you stuck to actual ethical lapses (of which there are more than enough to keep you busy), and if possible, don't criticize him for things you gave Obama a pass for. Or at least explain the discrepancy?
Who in the Obama campaign or administration was charged with a crime or convicted of one?

I do find it comical that Trump chooses the place he avoided as a young adult by lying about his health to meet with the man he loves.
Are they having a bad hairstyle convention.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #27
Jim in CT

Quote:
Who in the Obama campaign or administration was charged with a crime or convicted of one?

I do find it comical that Trump chooses the place he avoided as a young adult by lying about his health to meet with the man he loves.
Are they having a bad hairstyle convention.
"Trump policy charged ALL parents and separated ALL children"

If we're talking about people who came here illegally, aren't they all criminals? At least until some might be designated as refugees seeking asylum? Also, a lot of the criticism of Trump on this issue, was the cages themselves, not the differentiation between criminals and non criminals.

"WALLS are not needed perhaps fences in some locations"

Again, that's NOT what the democrats voted said in 2006 and 2013, and NO ONE said walls were unnecessary or immoral then. No one said that. How come?

Obama's head of the Border Patrol, as well as 80% of border patrol agents polled., saw that increased barriers will help. They're all wrong?

Now you are trying to split hairs between a wall and a fence. You're also saying that walls might help in some areas, which is what Trump is proposing. He' snot proposing a wall from coast to coast, just in the areas where experts say they'll do the most good. So you seem to be agreeing with him!

"Who in the Obama campaign or administration was charged with a crime or convicted of one?"

People under his watch used the IRS as a club against conservatives, who did nothing wrong except be conservative. And his Sec State, HRC, might well have been charged, but Bill had that private meeting with the AG on his plane with no reporters allowed to hear it, so who knows...But you are correct, Trump has surrounded himself with some very crooked people.

"I do find it comical that Trump chooses the place he avoided as a young adult "

Do you know who Senator Blumenthal is, from my state of CT? Do you know what he did? I've never seen you complain about it...he lied, multiple times, about serving in Vietnam. After he got caught, he got elected, and was put on the Armed Services Committee. Can't make that up.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #28
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"Trump policy charged ALL parents and separated ALL children"

If we're talking about people who came here illegally, aren't they all criminals? At least until some might be designated as refugees seeking asylum?

Two different groups by law, illegal immigrants and asylum seekers

The choice of how the illegal immigrants are charged, whether or not to separate them was the Trump administrations and differed from prior administrations, it sounds like you think separating parents and children is a good thing.
We operate under the rule of law. The law says you may apply for asylum no matter how you entered the country. If you and Trump don't like it, change the law. They then also chose to separate parents and children, unlike their predecessors.

Also, a lot of the criticism of Trump on this issue, was the cages themselves, not the differentiation between criminals and non criminals.

"WALLS are not needed perhaps fences in some locations"

Again, that's NOT what the democrats voted said in 2006 and 2013, and NO ONE said walls were unnecessary or immoral then. No one said that. How come?

Obama's head of the Border Patrol, as well as 80% of border patrol agents polled., saw that increased barriers will help. They're all wrong?

Polls can be designed to give you the answer you want, would land mines help? Pretty likely they would and might even get a majority to say so, does that make it the correct solution?

Now you are trying to split hairs between a wall and a fence. You're also saying that walls might help in some areas, which is what Trump is proposing. He' snot proposing a wall from coast to coast, just in the areas where experts say they'll do the most good. So you seem to be agreeing with him!

@realDonaldTrump
Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump
More
Jeb Bush just talked about my border proposal to build a "fence." It's not a fence, Jeb, it's a WALL, and there's a BIG difference!

"Who in the Obama campaign or administration was charged with a crime or convicted of one?"

People under his watch used the IRS as a club against conservatives, who did nothing wrong except be conservative. And his Sec State, HRC, might well have been charged, but Bill had that private meeting with the AG on his plane with no reporters allowed to hear it, so who knows...But you are correct, Trump has surrounded himself with some very crooked people.

"I do find it comical that Trump chooses the place he avoided as a young adult "

Do you know who Senator Blumenthal is, from my state of CT? Do you know what he did? I've never seen you complain about it...he lied, multiple times, about serving in Vietnam. After he got caught, he got elected, and was put on the Armed Services Committee. Can't make that up.
I know who he is and I also know Blumenthal did something I have never seen Trump do ever, not even close:
"At times when I have sought to honor veterans, I have not been as clear or precise as I should have been about my service in the Marine Corps Reserves,'' Blumenthal said in the statement. "I have firmly and clearly expressed regret and taken responsibility for my words. I have made mistakes and I am sorry. I truly regret offending anyone. I will always champion the cause of Connecticut's and our nation's veterans."

Lets Go Darwin
Old 02-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #29
detbuch

Quote:
I know who he is and I also know Blumenthal did something I have never seen Trump do ever, not even close:
"At times when I have sought to honor veterans, I have not been as clear or precise as I should have been about my service in the Marine Corps Reserves,'' Blumenthal said in the statement. "I have firmly and clearly expressed regret and taken responsibility for my words. I have made mistakes and I am sorry. I truly regret offending anyone. I will always champion the cause of Connecticut's and our nation's veterans."
Reminds me of:

And the original:

Old 02-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
even the apology is a lies. he says he
misspoke, not that he deliberately lied. but he has a d after his name, so that’s good enough for you.