Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 09-27-2002, 12:11 PM   #1
Big Vern
Hooked

ABU 6500 help...

What's happenin' everybody?

As my fishing skills and beliefs has truly been altered this season thanks to you folks here at striped-bass.com, I've changed from a pure boat fisher (Don't get me wrong - I still like going out on the boat.) to someone that prefers the surf. There's just something about wading out from land for big stripers that appeals to my competitive side. It's a game much more centered around knowledge and technique. I've now hit the point where I'd really like to master the eel at night. However, my luck has been modest at best with the slimy creatures, and I suspect it has something to do with using a spinning set-up to sling them. The conventional reel seems much more suited to the task, and the physics of it just make more sense to me. Therefore, I think I'm looking to pick one up...

I've basically settled on the Abu 6500, but I have no idea which model to get. I know I want the level wind. Beyond that...I'm just clueless. Any help would be appreciated as I'm looking to pick a used one off of ebay soon.
Big Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 12:28 PM   #2
fireguy
Canal Apprentice

I have the 6500 Mag Elite. I loved the reel the first year. I followed the manfacturer's recommended PM and everything seemed great. This year early in the season I began to experience problems with the small weight magnetic controls. These control the reel when using lures, baits, etc under 1 ounce (according to Linda at the Spirit Lake Home Office). The magnetic controls failed and jammed the reel. I brought the reel to Bucko's in Fall River. They are the area's Authorized Abu Service center. They advised against restoring the magnets. They said if I'm not throwing weights under one ounce I don't need it.

I went back to fishing the reel but its performance is flawed. I am in negotiation with the home office in Spirit Lake to resolve the problem.

Personally, after the way they have treated me I won't but an Abu reel again. Conventional is the way to throw but next time I'll buy another brand.

One man's opinion.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 01:13 PM   #3
jeffsod

I have a 7000C3 and am happy with it for the most part. The drag is not as good as my spinning reels but it casts well. I use it mostly at the canal so sand is not really a problem. I don't have much experience with the 6500 series myself but I know you can get a new one for a good price from Mike at M&D's website

www.capecodtackle.com

http://www.capecodtackle.com/Merchan...ore_Code=cct01
jeffsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 01:26 PM   #4
redcrbbr
here fishy fishy

Send a message via ICQ to redcrbbr Send a message via AIM to redcrbbr Send a message via Yahoo to redcrbbr
i use a 6500csMag, been abusing it all year with sand and anything else found on a beach. this reel works dynamite for tossing snakes. mike from M&D added the power handle and smoothies for me at a great price. just have been giving the reel a good hosing when i finish the day.

redcrbbr
of all the things i've lost...i miss my mind the most!!

redcrbbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 05:45 PM   #5
Goose

I love my 6500. For the last 4 1/2 seasons I've been fishin it in the surf throwin plugs or metals......I replace the pawl annually and have replaced the worm gear once (like all reels, spray it down ASAP) I don't throw eels with this reel. I don't care for throwing eels in windy conditions with conventional, and I would rather have a reel with larger line capacity just in case, also even with the drag tighten down on the 6500, its still not enough in my opion.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 06:02 PM   #6
GBOUTDOORS

Send a message via AIM to GBOUTDOORS
I have had a 6500 for about 4 years now and have not had any trouble to date. I used it in fresh for the first three and now have changed back to salt with it and still find it a great reel for pluging but I'm with Goose I have a Penn 965 for eels. And I would wait till you can save up for new not used but thats just my two cents worth. Good luck and good fishing to you.
GBOUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 06:23 PM   #7
Smokey

The 6500 mag elite and the 6500 big game Just so happens I have both. The mag elite is a nice smooth reel for casting light plugs ect. I find myself moving the magnettic casting drag by mistake, the next cast well you know. I have no problem with the big game.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 06:40 PM   #8
Fishpart
Keep The Change

I like my 6500 ultra cast. Nice smooth reel. I added the power handle and the smoothie drag washers. The drag is far superior to out of the box. I got a great deal on the reel after hemmign and hawing about a mag elite. I'm happy I didn't dump the extra bucks for a mag because I haven't had any trouble casting with it. I would liek a 6500 big game because it comes with the power handle and I am told the reel frame is plated brass rather than aluminum. Another good reel is the 6500C4 a little more than the plain 6500C3, but you get high speed gears and the bearing levelwind. On any 6500 I would recommend the extreme smoothie drag washers. M&D's and Weekapaug both have them.
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 10:12 AM   #9
Saltheart

Fireguy , you probably are getting no where with Abu Garcia servicing the Mag Elite reel cause its shipped in from Australia. Local people don't have the parts. You can probably get it serviced at www.hatterasoutfitters.com in North carolina. Tres Irby there sells the reels and I believe he has a service package where he'll go over the whole reel for a price. I think he has all the parts in stock.

Go to his site and get a phone number or post on his message board.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 10:14 AM   #10
Saltheart

Oh , BTW , to the original question. I recommend the Abu Big Game BG6500CL. For a bigger reel , the BG7000CL.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 04:51 PM   #11
ron816

I like the abu big game 6500CL,much better reel then the regular 6500, which is really for fresh water use, the big game is the salt water version. Great reel
ron816 is offline   Reply With Quote