Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 09-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #31
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I agree they can't spend 100 years looking., But it sounds like you completely made it up, when you said they can only investigate what's already on the record.

I doubt anyone, on either side, would consider it frivolous to investigate a sexual assault complaint. Not yet anyway, but in short order, your side will make sexual assault accusations as utterly meaningless as they have already made racism accusations.
Even if he did he's not any worse than Trump and that's not that bad...........
Conservatives are now the bastion of situational ethics and moral relativism, you win, Jim

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #32
Pete F.
Canceled

He should have picked a woman

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #33
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
you win, Jim
Unlike most of the liberals I see here, I can heap both praise and criticism on leaders of both sides. Do you do that? Does Spence?
Old 09-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #34
Jim in CT

Quote:
He should have picked a woman
He should have picked whoever was most qualified, regardless of skin pigmentation or genetalia. Stop with the identity politics for two seconds.

Why is having a penis, a negative attribute in a SCOTUS justice? Please explain?
Old 09-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #35
DZ

This troubles me as does every sexual assault accusation. Be interesting to see what proof she has that she was assaulted.

He obviously has been painted as someone with unparalleled integrity based on the testimony we've heard about. If it comes down to a
"he said/she said" argument he would prevail (unless of course more women start coming out).

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #36
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
He should have picked whoever was most qualified, regardless of skin pigmentation or genetalia. Stop with the identity politics for two seconds.

Why is having a penis, a negative attribute in a SCOTUS justice? Please explain?
There are some qualified women and it automatically disarms one argument. Of course it may not have worked, just like Merrick Garland didn't.

Currently it is a political appointment, certainly with this president. Notice Kavanaugh wasn't on the list...........

"Donald Trump on Wednesday unveiled a list of 11 judges he would consider nominating to fill the seat of late Justice Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court, an unusual move for a presidential candidate that underscores his efforts to appeal to conservatives.

The list includes: Steven Colloton of Iowa, Allison Eid of Colorado, Raymond Gruender of Missouri, Thomas Hardiman of Pennsylvania, Raymond Kethledge of Michigan, Joan Larsen of Michigan, Thomas Lee of Utah, William Pryor of Alabama, David Stras of Minnesota, Diane Sykes of Wisconsin and Don Willett of Texas.
In a statement, Trump said he planned to use the list "as a guide to nominate our next United States Supreme Court Justices" and said the names are "representative of the kind of constitutional principles I value."
The announcement is the latest example of Trump's unorthodox campaign. Presidential candidates rarely mention specific people they would nominate and instead often talk about the profile of potential nominees. But Trump was questioned during the Republican primary campaign about his allegiance to conservative causes and releasing the list could quell those concerns."

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #37
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
This troubles me as does every sexual assault accusation. Be interesting to see what proof she has that she was assaulted.

He obviously has been painted as someone with unparalleled integrity based on the testimony we've heard about. If it comes down to a
"he said/she said" argument he would prevail (unless of course more women start coming out).
He'd prevail in a court of law no question. This is politics. If 1 or 2 senators flip because they don't want to be seen as insensitive to victims, that's all it takes, and that's probably what's behind all this.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #38
Jim in CT

Quote:
There are some qualified women and it automatically disarms one argument. Of course it may not have worked, just like Merrick Garland didn't.

Currently it is a political appointment, certainly with this president. Notice Kavanaugh wasn't on the list...........

"Donald Trump on Wednesday unveiled a list of 11 judges he would consider nominating to fill the seat of late Justice Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court, an unusual move for a presidential candidate that underscores his efforts to appeal to conservatives.

The list includes: Steven Colloton of Iowa, Allison Eid of Colorado, Raymond Gruender of Missouri, Thomas Hardiman of Pennsylvania, Raymond Kethledge of Michigan, Joan Larsen of Michigan, Thomas Lee of Utah, William Pryor of Alabama, David Stras of Minnesota, Diane Sykes of Wisconsin and Don Willett of Texas.
In a statement, Trump said he planned to use the list "as a guide to nominate our next United States Supreme Court Justices" and said the names are "representative of the kind of constitutional principles I value."
The announcement is the latest example of Trump's unorthodox campaign. Presidential candidates rarely mention specific people they would nominate and instead often talk about the profile of potential nominees. But Trump was questioned during the Republican primary campaign about his allegiance to conservative causes and releasing the list could quell those concerns."
"There are some qualified women "

Agreed.

"automatically disarms one argument."

OK, I see what you mean, for political ease of confirmation, maybe he should have picked a woman. That's really smart actually, you're right.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #39
scottw

yeah because they would have been nice to a woman....pleeeese....

democrats love to play dirty then whine about civility
Old 09-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #40
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
How would she have known the FBI was performing a background check? Even then, if he wasn't charged at the time the FBI wouldn't have had anything to find, it's a background check for items on the record.
That's weird, when I go through my background check for work, they talk to neighbors, friends, former employers, and people I currently work with. and I'm just a nobody. Are you saying that they don't dig as deep for a possible SC Justice?

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 09-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #41
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
That's weird, when I go through my background check for work, they talk to neighbors, friends, former employers, and people I currently work with. and I'm just a nobody. Are you saying that they don't dig as deep for a possible SC Justice?
Was speaking about an obscure event from decades ago. If there's nothing on the record what do they have to research? It's not likely a family member is going to be like, oh and that time he assaulted someone.

You're check was for clearance I'm assuming, I don't think SCOTUS have that.

Last edited by spence; 09-17-2018 at 02:36 PM..
Old 09-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #42
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Tell that to Citizens United.
Hahaha - there's the rub ; )

Quote:
The accuser would not have known. But Senator Diane Feinstein knows, and she had the letter since July.

Kavanaigh has gone through six different background checks in his years of service.

"it's a background check for items on the record"

And you know this how, exactly? They don't make any additional inquiries? And IF that's true, that's more reason for Feinstein to have gotten this on the record before they started the check.

Sure smells like a tactic - everything is a tactic.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #43
wdmso

and why do the dems care lets be realistic it happen in High school ...

Conservatives dont care!! it does not matter to them .. the guy is on their Team just look at Trump he is a sexual abuser! and they dont care ..the GOP haven't Sailed on the USS morality for decades
Old 09-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Conservatives dont care!! it does not matter to them .. the guy is on their Team just look at Trump he is a sexual abuser! and they dont care ..the GOP haven't Sailed on the USS morality for decades
I care. If he did it, I don't want him on SCOTUS. But any rational person would be very skeptical here.

"the GOP haven't Sailed on the USS morality for decades"

And there's all kinds of data to support that.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #45
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
I don't know. If they both testify and she comes off as credible it could be enough to derail his appointment. I also found it interesting he said today he wasn't at that party...if a single person fingers him as being there he's likely done.

Generally speaking I don't like things playing out like this bug given how hard the GOP worked to hide his record I guess it's the bed they made. I'd still like some answers on how he went from being deeply in debt to instantly paying off all his bills and buying a nice house in about 12 months just in time for his nomination.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
I don't know. If they both testify and she comes off as credible it could be enough to derail his appointment. I also found it interesting he said today he wasn't at that party...if a single person fingers him as being there he's likely done.

Generally speaking I don't like things playing out like this bug given how hard the GOP worked to hide his record I guess it's the bed they made. I'd still like some answers on how he went from being deeply in debt to instantly paying off all his bills and buying a nice house in about 12 months just in time for his nomination.
"If they both testify and she comes off as credible it could be enough to derail his appointment."

Well she named a "witness" who vehemently denies the event, so there goes much of her credibility. But to you, people who help the accusation will have instant credibility, people who refute the accusation instantly have some ulterior motive. Have you noticed that?

"if a single person fingers him as being there he's likely done.'

Yes, especially if the person who puts him there, is the CEO of Planned Parenthood. Let's let her decide.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #47
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:

Because there is a Statute of Limitations. That and this smells like something fabricated. So at best it comes down to a he said she said.

If there was something today (I don't know if you have kids) and something like this happened to one of yours you would want it followed through and investigated.

Oh, and the GOP surely does not corner the market in Sexual Abusers. It is something bad people do and there is no shortage of either in both parties.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 09-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #48
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Because there is a Statute of Limitations. That and this smells like something fabricated. So at best it comes down to a he said she said.
Didn't he claimed when asked, that he said he never molested anybody. So if the accusation is true he lied under oath and that should disqualify me. It's going to come down to he said she said as you said.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 09-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #49
scottw

Quote:

..the GOP haven't Sailed on the USS morality for decades
good...then the democrats can stop demanding morality from the republicans and screaming hypocrite when there is an issue...the republicans are at least nearly as bad as the democrats

an adult Kennedy killed a woman and ran for president, spent decades in the senate and is a celebrated democrat icon

an adult Clinton likely raped a woman, sexually abused others and ruined the lives of others who dared to come forward and he served two terms as president and is a celebrated democrat icon

if a teenage Kavanaugh did what he is being accused he's still more qualified to serve than either of those two dirt bags

Last edited by scottw; 09-17-2018 at 06:15 PM..
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #50
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

that should disqualify me.

OK ...you are disqualified
Old 09-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #51
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
OK ...you are disqualified
😁
Old 09-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Didn't he claimed when asked, that he said he never molested anybody. So if the accusation is true he lied under oath and that should disqualify me. It's going to come down to he said she said as you said.
If he did it, he should get the boot. There's no basis to conclude he did it with any certainty. The accuser named one witness to the assault, and the witness vehemently denies seeing any assault.

He has also had six separate background checks done. Tuned up squat.

Her credibility is tainted, and that's putting it mildly. You need something more than he said, she said.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #53
Jim in CT

Quote:

an adult Clinton likely raped a woman, sexually abused others and ruined the lives of others who dared to come forward and he served two terms as president and is a celebrated democrat icon

:
And Clinton's wife used her pulpit as First Lady, to slut shame his victims on national TV. And she qualifies as a feminist hero and presidential candidate.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #54
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
the GOP haven't Sailed on the USS morality for decades

Old 09-18-2018, 05:58 AM   #55
Jim in CT

TDF we have our share of weirdos unfortunately. in the case if the men you showed, there was a lot more evidence than a 35 year old accusation, which again was refuted by the one witness the accuser says was there.

Compare this to the case if Keith Ellison, the #2 at the DNC, who has been accused, and i believe ( not certain) there is a 911 call that appears to back up the accusers claims. no one is demanding that Ellison step down.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:00 AM   #56
scottw

Quote:

I'd still like some answers on how he went from being deeply in debt to instantly paying off all his bills and buying a nice house in about 12 months just in time for his nomination.
sounds like Obama up until he became a politician....
Old 09-18-2018, 06:03 AM   #57
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
TDF we have our share of weirdos unfortunately.
No argument there, just pointing out that the other side hasn't booked a trip on this cruise either.

Quote:
the GOP haven't Sailed on the USS morality for decades

Old 09-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #58
scottw

when are we going to throw John Kerry in jail?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #59
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
when are we going to throw John Kerry in jail?
Is that what happens to people who oppose the current regimes policies?
Scary on many levels

Lets Go Darwin
Old 09-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #60
scottw

Quote:
Is that what happens to people who oppose the current regimes policies?
Scary on many levels