Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
FishermanTim

Bill being proposed regarding inernet tax

The brainturds on Beacon Hill want to try and fleece the public once again by taxing US for something we buy out of state!
They tried a variation of this when they forced (extorted) a tire company to make Mass residents pay a state sales tax on purchases made in New Hampshire. Fortunately the supreme court has more intelligence than the A-holes on Beacon Hill. The SC found this practice was illegal and overturned the "law" that was being enforced.

If these idiots can't balance a budget without taking off their shoes and pants to count, how the hell do they expect anyone to believe that this proposal is nothing more than a money grab to fuel their constant list of "wet-dream" do-nothing projects. In otherwords, they will just piss it away on themselves AGAIN!!!

Do these political turds understand that THEY are the reason we buy things online? THEY caused way too many businesses to move out of state, and now they want to tax us for shopping out of state.

If this passes, heads should roll, both literally and figuratively.
These social rejects need to be held accountable for their stupid, repugnant, irresponsible, overbearing insulting proposals to steal from the state residents, you know, the ones that ACTUALLY PAY TAXES HERE!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
The internet purchases are currently a mixed bag of taxed or not? Some do/some don't charge the sales tax...I just purchased from Dell and they do!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
The internet purchases are currently a mixed bag of taxed or not? Some do/some don't charge the sales tax...I just purchased from Dell and they do!
If the company has offices / sales outlets in the state it is supposed to charge sales tax for that on Internet orders. I also would not be surprised if Dell voluntarily charged sales tax on each state regardless, in order to be more attractive to states IT purchasing powers that be

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

news flash - you are already responsible for MA sales tax on internet purchases made out of state. There is a spot to claim it the MA income tax form. By law - you are supposed to.

I think the proposed law is to beef up the enforcement

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
news flash - you are already responsible for MA sales tax on internet purchases made out of state. There is a spot to claim it the MA income tax form. By law - you are supposed to.

I think the proposed law is to beef up the enforcement

Just because RIJimmy does it to me all the time....

you are NOT required to pay a sales tax on purchases outside of Massachusetts.

Federal court decisions have found that sellers that are not in some way physically located in a state cannot be required by that state to report sales or collect sales tax for that state, even if the purchaser is located in the state.

That is why Massachusetts created a Use Tax which is what you need to report on your tax return....this is the difference between what ever sales tax you did pay for the item and what MA charges for sales Tax.

Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
striperman36
Old Guy

If they do it. I'll pick up my stuff at the office out of state.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Chesapeake Bill

RIJ and TDF,

Wasn't Mass the state that had a line on the their income tax forms for people to report illegal activities such as gambling and prostiution so tehy could pay their taxes on it? I seem to recall something about that years ago. You can't really expect people to take a state that pulls a stunt like that seriously, can you?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
JohnnyD

A handful of states have already tried this and it doesn't work. One thing it does do is cost people jobs and pull money out of the state.

For instance, I have a few websites that advertise Amazon products and I get a percentage of all sales made from leads generated through my website. Most of these "Internet Tax" laws consider people like me as a "domestic presence" and would try to force Amazon to collect taxes.

Instead, they sever all ties to individual Affiliates (like myself) in the state. This has happened in RI, NY and every other state that has passed laws like this.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Just because RIJimmy does it to me all the time....

you are NOT required to pay a sales tax on purchases outside of Massachusetts.

Federal court decisions have found that sellers that are not in some way physically located in a state cannot be required by that state to report sales or collect sales tax for that state, even if the purchaser is located in the state.

That is why Massachusetts created a Use Tax which is what you need to report on your tax return....this is the difference between what ever sales tax you did pay for the item and what MA charges for sales Tax.

Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center
Federal court found that the SELLERS are not responsible but you are - read your link

Federal court decisions have found that sellers that are not in some way physically located in a state cannot be required by that state to report sales or collect sales tax for that state, even if the purchaser is located in the state.21 The purchasers are technically required to declare these Internet purchases and pay what is called a use tax, equivalent to the general sales tax.

equivalent means same thing - so use tax, is the same as sales tax. You are required by law to pay. Dont argue with an accounting major!

And Chesapeake Bill - Al Capone went to jail for what? tax evasion! He didnt pay tax on his illegal activities. I beleieve the Fed would want it under "other income" - but you are responsibnle for paying fed taxes on illegal activity!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Federal court found that the SELLERS are not responsible but you are - read your link

Federal court decisions have found that sellers that are not in some way physically located in a state cannot be required by that state to report sales or collect sales tax for that state, even if the purchaser is located in the state.21 The purchasers are technically required to declare these Internet purchases and pay what is called a use tax, equivalent to the general sales tax.

equivalent means same thing - so use tax, is the same as sales tax. You are required by law to pay. Dont argue with an accounting major!

And Chesapeake Bill - Al Capone went to jail for what? tax evasion! He didnt pay tax on his illegal activities. I beleieve the Fed would want it under "other income" - but you are responsibnle for paying fed taxes on illegal activity!
Did you read my Entire Post.......I did post that you had to pay a Tax.....I was just being a PITA and pointing out that it is not called a Sales Tax you are paying....its called a Use Tax....which is what you highlighted in Red.

Also pointing out that Massachusetts found a way around the Federal Interpretation of the Sales Tax.

and, C'mon, you gotta admit...you do have this Ever so slight habit of correcting things for people here...

And never argue with an Irishmen......

Old 04-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
me too...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

and, C'mon, you gotta admit...you do have this Ever so slight habit of correcting things for people here...
whatever, you sound like my wife

Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Ever see the Hitchcock Movie "Strangers on a Train"?

Its about 2 guys that meet on a train and both want to get rid of their spouses. They figure if each one takes out the other ones spouse it would be untraceable by motive since they have nothing connecting them....the perfect crime

Now If your wife and And johnnyD's wife ever have a chance meeting......Criss Cross :hihi

and if you think I'm a PITA on the boards try being married to me......I'm pretty sure my wife would want in on that little scenario too.....

Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
fishbones

You knuckleheads are just making this more confusing. If I buy some DVD's or other accessories from Adam and Eve online, I should claim on my taxes that I bought them? What about, say a subscription service bought online which isn't an actual product? You know, the one's where you watch college girls doing housework and showering, etc... Do I have to claim that? This is important because the guy who does my taxes also does my mom's taxes.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
If I buy some DVD's or other accessories from Adam and Eve online, I should claim on my taxes that I bought them? What about, say a subscription service bought online which isn't an actual product? You know, the one's where you watch college girls doing housework and showering, etc... Do I have to claim that? This is important because the guy who does my taxes also does my mom's taxes.
Sounds like you're "Using" them.....sounds like a Text Book case of "Use" tax to me...

I would defer to the Accounting Major but I would say that if you were to buy this product in Massachusetts and you would normally be charged a Sales Tax....then you need to pay the Use Tax.

and since Moms are off limits...I'm not going to crack wise on that last part...

Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #16
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
You knuckleheads are just making this more confusing. If I buy some DVD's or other accessories from Adam and Eve online, I should claim on my taxes that I bought them? What about, say a subscription service bought online which isn't an actual product? You know, the one's where you watch college girls doing housework and showering, etc... Do I have to claim that? This is important because the guy who does my taxes also does my mom's taxes.
yes, you should

so your tax bill would read - anl plug $2.00, anl lube $1.33, dvds - sailors on vacation and firemen's hoses $7.35, etc......

Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Anybody else see the humor in Anal Lube and Mass Tax in the same post...

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 04-07-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my wife would want in on that little scenario too.....
Nah, she just complains to her boyfriend

at least thats what I figure mine does when I go offshore for a weekend

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 04-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

[QUOTE=RIROCKHOUND;849843

at least thats what I figure mine does when I go offshore for a weekend [/QUOTE]

now you know why I never join you.......

Old 04-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
now you know why I never join you.......
There is a good joke about a barber that follows that theme...

Bryan