Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Meet & Greet Forum

Meet & Greet Forum S-B is an online Community dedicated to angling for Striped Bass. Come in, say hello and tell us a little bit about you. Thanks! Team Striped-Bass.com

Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
wwerner3
The Pathetic One

Long Island?

Hey all,
Any Long Islanders on here? I'm from Northport, trying to learn how to fish. Been out maybe 2 dozen times, don't really care about catching anything (not sure what I would do if I did) but 2 dozen times and only a few bites? Clearly I am doing something majorly wrong. Fish mostly off my kayak. Bought a surf casting rod and have tried that 5 times. Those were my only bites....

Lures vs. bait, spots to fish, what's fishing at what times...these are the kind of newbie questions I have....

Any help for the pathetic one?
wwerner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Jimbo

Welcome. I left Northport about 27 years ago so any advice I'd have would be dated and probably incorrect today. You might check around the site for Frankiesurf and Long Island Guy who both live and fish in Northport. They might have some ideas for ya.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Hm, I'm South Shore so the only thing that stuck out in my mind was the Old LILCO Power Station. When the water gets cold, fish tend to hang out in that area due to the warm water being pumped out of that place. Never really gave it a shot myself but the only landmark I can think of (popular place in Spring and end of the season).

A nice bunch of guys who you can also e-mail and get some info are the people who write the fishing forecasts at the site http://www.onthewater.com/FishingForecastNYx.html (pretty accurate forecasts worth reading too). Some are surf rats and others are boaters. Either of them will steer you in the right direction.

This site is an awesome tool to get tide and moon information (I refer to this when planning). Tide Location Selection for New York

Hope this helps

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
wwerner3
The Pathetic One

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
wwerner3
The Pathetic One

Thanks, I appreciate it...
Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
flyvice11787

I'm from Smithtown . Welcome to the site. South shore and out east have been heating up if you want to travel a bit.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
flyvice11787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Frankiesurf

Check your PM's

Frankiesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
bethp222

Hampton Bays

I've been contemplating a trip from Montauk. I live in Hampton Bays and am wondering if it is worth the trip. Any insights into how the Montauk scene has been so far this fall?
bethp222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
flyvice11787

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethp222 View Post
I've been contemplating a trip from Montauk. I live in Hampton Bays and am wondering if it is worth the trip. Any insights into how the Montauk scene has been so far this fall?
It's been typical Montauk in the fall. When it's good, it's fabulous. Just be prepared to deal with the crowds. BTW, there's some good stuff going on by you .
flyvice11787 is offline   Reply With Quote