Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Vega/lathe maintenance

So after spending time at the Bigfish workshop/mancave I realized I needed to do some simple but effective upgrades and maintenance to my lathe and dupe.

In no particular order here's what I spent a day doing

Wrapped the prof m blade holder in electrical tape, so that it didn't wiggle, and the set screw has something to hold onto.

Flipped the blade around, I probably cut 200/300 plugs with the first side

Upped the speed on the delta lathe to highest setting

Tightened all motor mounts.

Tightened chain on Vega

Tightened carriage on vega. Which is a pain cause there's 4 set screws and a little turn makes a big deal.

Tightened red arm on vega, removed any play

Moved the lathe over 18" on the work bench, put a thin rubber pads under the feet before bolting it back down, to help with the vibration

Cleaned all tracks on the vega and rewaxed the deck on it and the lathe.

Made a plexi motor cover that's angled into the dust collector hood

Upgraded the dust collector, still working on a system that will help catch the chips and dust. More concerned about the chips flying everywhere

Worked in making a deflector shield that mounts to the vega and will knock the chips down onto the plexi plate above the motor and into the dust collector

Found out I need to close the ends off as much as possible to stop the chips from shooting to the left and right. Which is what I'll work in this week. Better than it was before without it but can be better

Found some clear plexi/lexan storage bins that I think will work great once I get the overall design done. Hoping to find something close and just cut away the excess and mount it.

It's getting there.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Thats cool but can you easily access the block to change it out quickly and also to sand the finished plug?

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Thats cool but can you easily access the block to change it out quickly and also to sand the finished plug?
Yeah once you go all the way to left it's completely out of the way

Once I get it perfected I'll take some video
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
eskimo

I think sides will be more important on that cover. The chips seem to go left and right but never really back at you. I only worry about the dust and let the chips fly.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
I think sides will be more important on that cover. The chips seem to go left and right but never really back at you. I only worry about the dust and let the chips fly.
I agree the fines are what will hurt you
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post
So after spending time at the Bigfish workshop/mancave I realized I needed to do some simple but effective upgrades and maintenance to my lathe and dupe.

In no particular order here's what I spent a day doing

Wrapped the prof m blade holder in electrical tape, so that it didn't wiggle, and the set screw has something to hold onto.

Flipped the blade around, I probably cut 200/300 plugs with the first side

Upped the speed on the delta lathe to highest setting

Tightened all motor mounts.

Tightened chain on Vega

Tightened carriage on vega. Which is a pain cause there's 4 set screws and a little turn makes a big deal.

Tightened red arm on vega, removed any play

Moved the lathe over 18" on the work bench, put a thin rubber pads under the feet before bolting it back down, to help with the vibration

Cleaned all tracks on the vega and rewaxed the deck on it and the lathe.

Made a plexi motor cover that's angled into the dust collector hood

Upgraded the dust collector, still working on a system that will help catch the chips and dust. More concerned about the chips flying everywhere

Worked in making a deflector shield that mounts to the vega and will knock the chips down onto the plexi plate above the motor and into the dust collector

Found out I need to close the ends off as much as possible to stop the chips from shooting to the left and right. Which is what I'll work in this week. Better than it was before without it but can be better

Found some clear plexi/lexan storage bins that I think will work great once I get the overall design done. Hoping to find something close and just cut away the excess and mount it.

It's getting there.
OK Chris, picture of the tape on the cutter, please.

Second, the sset screws on the Vega deck. How do they tighten, untighten, so the dupe will stop vibrating?

Motor mounts, ?...

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Amazingly, I am on line tonight to asked some of these questions that Chris has asked/answered. I need to know how to adjust the four deck sets screws the most. Assuming I loosen the nuts on the set screws, then tighten the screws by turning clockwise, ?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
pbadad

Frank grab the dupe head with 2 hands and shake back and forth. This will give you an idea what adjusters need tightning. loosen lock nuts and snug allen screws on either the front or back. Back off allen screws slightly. Turn levers till it moves smooth. Snug nuts and rotate to both ends. Some units feel fine to left but tight to right. Being the left side groove has more wear. Mine do. Also clean and lube V track. I use W-40. Also the nylon bushing may need replacing if worn badly.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Frank grab the dupe head with 2 hands and shake back and forth. This will give you an idea what adjusters need tightning. loosen lock nuts and snug allen screws on either the front or back. Back off allen screws slightly. Turn levers till it moves smooth. Snug nuts and rotate to both ends. Some units feel fine to left but tight to right. Being the left side groove has more wear. Mine do. Also clean and lube V track. I use W-40. Also the nylon bushing may need replacing if worn badly.

Thañk you

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA