By CAPE COD TIMES
July 29, 2014
Marking its grand opening on July 29, 1914, the Cape Cod Canal is celebrating its 100th birthday. Here is a schedule of today's events:
·· Official 100th Anniversary Commemoration, 1-4 p.m., Buzzards Bay Park, 70 Main St., Bourne. Tribute to those who helped build the canal and bridges. Featuring speakers including Command and District Engineer Col. Charles P. Samaris and Assistant Secretary of the Army (Civil Works) Honorable Jo-Ellen Darcy; music by The Canal Festival Youth Orchestra, the Cape Symphony Youth Orchestra, the New Bedford Symphony Youth Orchestra, former “American Idol” contestant Siobhan Magnus and more.
· Tours of the TS Kennedy, MMA training ship. Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Free.
· Tours of the Tall Ship Kalmar Nyckel, replica of 17th-century tall ship. Massachusetts Maritime Academy. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Free.
· Tours of the Schooner Mystic Tall Ship, Massachusetts Maritime Academy. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
· Tours of the Aptucxet Trading Post, Gray Gables Railroad Station and the Salt Works, Aptucxet Museum Complex, 24 Aptucxet Road, Bourne. Tours from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. $10.
· “Canaliversary,” 4-9 p.m., Buzzards Bay Park, 70 Main St., Bourne. Entertainment; various musical performances including Adam Ezra, Ryan Montbleau and more; games; engineering activities; antique cars and more.
· Tug Boat Parade, 4 p.m., parade starts at Massachusetts Maritime Academy, goes the full length of the canal, turns at the Sandwich end and comes back. Viewable from the canal banks.
· Centennial Firework Display, 9 p.m., over the railroad bridge, Bourne. Viewable for miles around Bourne, Wareham and the Onset Bay area. A pyrotechnic display never done before off the historic railroad bridge.