Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #31
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Any thoughts on this?
Sounds like you believe that McCain/Pailin would also have merited a C+/B-.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #32
fishbones

Quote:
Any thoughts on this?
My thought is that you're trying to come up with hypothetical circumstances to deflect criticism from a President who you voted for that has not come close to accomplishing the goals he set out to while he was campaigning. Since Obama was the one elected, he's the only one we can judge, not anyone else.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #33
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Is that your research or someone else?

Some of the biggest companies in America are adding 87,000 jobs. Kind of negates your numbers above.

They're hiring! - Edward Jones (1) - FORTUNE

0 for 2 today. You should *really* start checking your facts.
Wow, you found some companies that are hiring! JD, do yourself a favor and go the BLS website and look at the employment outlook. There were over 1,600 companies that had mass layoffs in Q4 2009. Unemployment has continued to rise. There are now almost 300,000 discouraged workers in the US. Those are people whose unemployment benefits have run out and they've given up looking for a job. You still think things are rosy?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #34
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
My thought is that you're trying to come up with hypothetical circumstances to deflect criticism from a President who you voted for that has not come close to accomplishing the goals he set out to while he was campaigning. Since Obama was the one elected, he's the only one we can judge, not anyone else.
Fishbones, I see your point I guess...

No deflection intended. I just wanted to see what people thought he would have done different. No reviosionist history here. But.. 'F!' D-! 'F'... just thinking outload what the other 'student' would have done differently...

RIJ: good points.
What was McCain's take on the Bush Bailout money? (NOT being critical of bush, I just can't remember!!) with the congress he would have been dealt, it would have been interesting to see what path he went down.

And yes, he has a history of being bi-partisan, but I'm unsure how successful he would have been passing legislation in this congress

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #35
fishbones

Quote:
Fishbones, I see your point I guess...

No deflection intended. I just wanted to see what people thought he would have done different. No reviosionist history here. But.. 'F!' D-! 'F'... just thinking outload what the other 'student' would have done differently...

RIJ: good points.
What was McCain's take on the Bush Bailout money? (NOT being critical of bush, I just can't remember!!) with the congress he would have been dealt, it would have been interesting to see what path he went down.

And yes, he has a history of being bi-partisan, but I'm unsure how successful he would have been passing legislation in this congress
RIROCKHOUND, I would give him a D. My grade is based on him inheriting huge problems and facing an uphill battle on many fronts. D may seem low, but I look at where the country is now as compared to where it was when he took over. If I was basing my grade only on accomplishments vs. what he said he was going to accomplish, he'd get an F. He made lots of promises and has not delivered much of anything. He has increased the size of the goverment while unemployment has gone up. His stimulus plan has not revived or even helped the economy. Transparency? What a joke. His Cash for Clunkers program, well let's just say it sucked. Don't even get me started on the Health Care clusterfunk. He's like a kid that has a bunch of puzzles or art projects and just goes from one to the next wthout competing anything because he has a short attention span. Also, I believe it's time for him to take responsibility. The blaming the last administration is getting real old.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #36
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

although I am against most of Obama's agenda. I was hopeful that he would introduce some energy and youthfulness to our government, some new, out of the box ideas. So far, he has not done one single thing. And thats no ones fault but his own.

and I keep hearing what a great job Michelle is doing, ranking high in the polls, what the hell has she done? Anything??????

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #37
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
although I am against most of Obama's agenda. I was hopeful that he would introduce some energy and youthfulness to our government, some new, out of the box ideas. So far, he has not done one single thing. And thats no ones fault but his own.
What, bringing back Ben B isn;t out of the box???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
and I keep hearing what a great job Michelle is doing, ranking high in the polls, what the hell has she done? Anything??????
she keeps him relaxed ???

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #38
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Wow, you found some companies that are hiring! JD, do yourself a favor and go the BLS website and look at the employment outlook. There were over 1,600 companies that had mass layoffs in Q4 2009. Unemployment has continued to rise. There are now almost 300,000 discouraged workers in the US. Those are people whose unemployment benefits have run out and they've given up looking for a job. You still think things are rosy?
Never said that things are rosy. But as I have been saying from the beginning, the rebound in jobs will have to start with the larger companies. Just as they were the first to cut jobs, they need to be the first to start hiring.

I also believe (and this is just my opinion) that many small to medium sized companies are waiting to see what the outcome will be with health care expenses. My company has a couple positions to fill but are waiting to see the financial ramifications that will occur if this health care "reform" goes through. The savings that we would realize by bringing some services in-house would be dissolved if we need to pay even higher HC costs. I know of 2 other business owners that are doing the same.