Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

report card

a few months back, Obama was asked what grade he would giv ehimself for his first year in office, I beleive he said B+. Looking at the latest poll figures, I think the public disagrees -

1. Washington (CNN) -- Nearly three out of four Americans think that at least half of the money spent in the federal stimulus plan has been wasted, according to a new national poll.

2. A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Monday also indicates that 7 in 10 Americans believe that the Democrats' loss of their 60 seat supermajority in the Senate is a positive move for the country.

3. Fourteen months after Obama swept Massachusetts by 26 points and won the presidency in an Electoral College landslide, the economic anxiety and political disaffection that put such a strong wind at Obama's back are just as strong, if not stronger.

so, thoughts? I'd say c-

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
buckman

I give him an F.

Your too kind Jim.
The man has flat out lied about everything he said he would do. He has managed to piss of everybody while accomplishing nothing. The economy continues to flounder.He has masked some of it with borrowed money.
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs. None coming unless you want a Federal one. We have 64000 new ones. For the first time ever publicly employed union members out number civilian members. It's a mess. GM, Freddie, Fannie and many others are being propped up with tax payers money.

All war fronts are doing worse.

We have Czars, criminals, zelots and idiots running us into the ground.

Forget it, I give him a Z. He doesn't have a clue. He does however still think he's the most brilliant person in America
Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
1. Washington (CNN) -- Nearly three out of four Americans think that at least half of the money spent in the federal stimulus plan has been wasted, according to a new national poll.
The CBO says it's saved jobs. I'd wager that most don't have a clue as to where much of it has gone. I don't think even 1/2 of it's been spent to be honest.

Quote:
2. A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Monday also indicates that 7 in 10 Americans believe that the Democrats' loss of their 60 seat supermajority in the Senate is a positive move for the country.
Most people believe balance is a good thing, so it would make sense that a majority would think this.

Quote:
3. Fourteen months after Obama swept Massachusetts by 26 points and won the presidency in an Electoral College landslide, the economic anxiety and political disaffection that put such a strong wind at Obama's back are just as strong, if not stronger.
I think Obama still has a strong approval rating in Mass, much better than the rest of the country.

-spence
Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The man has flat out lied about everything he said he would do. He has managed to piss of everybody while accomplishing nothing. The economy continues to flounder.
This simply isn't true. While Obama has certainly backtracked on some issues, under his first year I believe he's achieved a significant amount of new legislation, much more than previous admins.

Quote:
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs. None coming unless you want a Federal one. We have 64000 new ones. For the first time ever publicly employed union members out number civilian members. It's a mess. GM, Freddie, Fannie and many others are being propped up with tax payers money.
Companies are hiring again. You can't expect the worst recession in decades to turn on a dime.

Quote:
All war fronts are doing worse.
Not true, and why are you against the troops? You sound like Harry Reid.

-spence
Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
buckman

WHAT'S THE GRADE SPENCE???????
Old 01-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
scottw

Quote:
I give him an F.

Forget it, I give him a Z. He doesn't have a clue. :
that's hilarious!!!

I give Obama and Spence a "Z"
Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
WHAT'S THE GRADE SPENCE???????
I'd give him a B-

His biggest failure is certainly how badly the Admin managed the early phases of the health care debate and ceding far too much face time to the House in the process of what is landmark legislation.

I also think he's backtracked on transparency promises, which is disturbing as it's something they actually control.

While many think the stimulus was unnecessary, a lot of economists believe is has helped avert a recession turning into a depression.

Obama has moved to the right on many foreign policy issues. He's slowed down promises to exit Iraq, close GITMO and started escalating troops in Afghanistan even before it was recommended by the military, to which he's granted their request and is spending even more on US Defense than Bush.

Spending is certainly a concern, but he inherited this trajectory from Bush. We'll see if he can reign Congress in on this as it will be huge in the mid-terms.

I think his outreach to the Islamic world has been a positive that if continued can bring long-term benefits.

He's passed a lot of legislation to preserve forests and natural areas, provide money to clean up urban areas, clean technology development, helped with college tuition assistance and even came through on the electronic medical records stuff which is supposed to save a lot of money in health care.

You've got to agree that he didn't have an easy 100 days. Inheriting two wars, a global PR disaster, a huge recession etc...so he's certainly made some mistakes, but all things considered I'd say slightly better than average.

-spence
Old 01-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Fly Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post

Companies are hiring again. You can't expect the worst recession in decades to turn on a dime.
-spence
FALSE

Walmart laying off over 11,000

California laying off over 3,500 in next 60 days according to their states' notice law of companies that employ over 50 employees

UPS 1800

Charles River Labs 300

Aol 1200

Last edited by Fly Rod; 01-25-2010 at 06:11 PM..
Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
buckman

Your honesty is to be commended Spence. I'm torn between all your hypothetical accomplishments and the the "backtracked" part.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
FALSE

California laying off over 3,500 in next 60 days according to their states' notice law of companies that employ over 50 employees
Hiring is relative, you have to look at the net, at the trends etc...

Certainly the monthly rate of unemployment is trending down.

I work in an industry that services manufacturing companies. My industry is starting to hire, which means spending is driving manufactures to produce more product. This is a positive sign.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 01-25-2010 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
buckman

Quote:
Hiring is relative, you have to look at the net, at the trends etc...

Certainly the monthly rate of unemployment is trending down.

I work in an industry that services manufacturing companies. My industry is starting to hire, which means spending is driving manufactures to product more product. This is a positive sign.

-spence
43 out of 50 states lost more jobs in December. Not a good trend
Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #12
spence

Quote:
43 out of 50 states lost more jobs in December. Not a good trend
December was a bad month, but it's never a good month as business tries to clean the books before they're closed.

The trend though is still strong...hopefully Q1 will continue where Q3/4 left off.

-spence
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
Fly Rod

Quote:
Not true, and why are you against the troops? You sound like Harry Reid.
-spence
buckman is not against the troops. Why would you make that accusation?

Harry Reid is more like Martha Coakly, "there are no Taliban in Afganistan
Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
buckman

Quote:
December was a bad month, but it's never a good month as business tries to clean the books before they're closed.

The trend though is still strong...hopefully Q1 will continue where Q3/4 left off.

-spence
I'm crossing my fingers. There are alot of hurting families out here.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
JohnnyD

Quote:
FALSE

UPS 1800

Charles River Labs 300

Aol 1200
Is that your research or someone else?

Some of the biggest companies in America are adding 87,000 jobs. Kind of negates your numbers above.

They're hiring! - Edward Jones (1) - FORTUNE

0 for 2 today. You should *really* start checking your facts.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #16
Fly Rod

You R something else.

Yes I did check minefrom several resouces.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #17
JohnnyD

Quote:
You R something else.

Yes I did check minefrom several resouces.
Just ball busting. I'm given flack everyday in here.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #18
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Using data through December 2009 announced on Friday
by the US Dept of Labor, 49 states have lost jobs since the
stimulus was enacted in February 2009.
Only N. Dakota and Washington DC have seen net job creation
and those numbers fall short of White House Claims.

Administration Claims of changes through 12/09 + 2,070,000

Actual change through 12/09 - 2,873,300

" Choose Life "
Old 01-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #19
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
F -

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #20
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
F -
If high school taught me one thing, it's that grades can go only as low as F. Even when teachers wanted to, there was no F- to give.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #21
EarnedStripes44

Some schools have done away with grades.

So I give him a "S" for "satisfactory."
Old 01-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #22
Bronko

Clearly a D.

Only reason its not an F is because I lay a a lot of blame on congress, likely the worst we have see in the history of the US.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #23
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
If high school taught me one thing, it's that grades can go only as low as F. Even when teachers wanted to, there was no F- to give.

We are living in a new age !

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I'd go with a D...just because I graded him on a curve compared to the last Chucklehead we had in office

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #25
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I'm saying a C+/B- Even though they pondered it for a while, so far on Iraq/Afghanistan he has done what he advertised, which is draw down one and up the other. We can argue about the merits of the 'end date' but I think we all know that will get pushed back. I'd like to see them a bit more aggressive on banks that took bailout money, both from the last and this administration re: Bonuses and such, but I think they are working on that. Healthcare: dead in that form, which is a good thing. Climate- hasn't done enough, some super wishy-washy deadlines and goals in Copenhagen was a waste of time...

Let me turn it around, if McCain/Palin had won, what would he have done differently to have things turned around.

My guess? The economy would still be in the crapper, we still be invested in two wars, and she could still see Russia from her house

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #26
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

D+ overall which is marginally higher than my expectations.

He MUST get spending under control. We're in a spending spiral and we're out of control...

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #27
scottw

don't worry John, he's about to declare a "spending freeze"...which I guess is sort of like going way over your limit on your credit card and having the bank shut you off and then proclaiming that you aren't going to use your credit card anymore, except for this and that....

Figures on government spending and debt

On Monday January 25, 2010, 5:38 pm EST
WASHINGTON (AP) --

Figures on government spending and debt (last six digits are eliminated). The
government's fiscal year runs Oct. 1 through Sept. 30.
Total public debt subject to limit Jan. 22 12,245,872
Statutory debt limit 12,394,000
Total public debt outstanding Jan. 22 12,302,465
Operating balance Jan. 22 142,454
Interest fiscal year 2009 383,365
Interest fiscal year 2008 451,154
Deficit fiscal year 2009 1,417,121
Deficit fiscal year 2008 454,798
Receipts fiscal year 2009 2,104,613
Receipts fiscal year 2008 2,523,642
Outlays fiscal year 2009 3,521,734
Outlays fiscal year 2008 2,978,440
Gold assets in September 11,041

not only is spending out of control, but we've committed to outrageous spending before declaring the "freeze"...and look at the receipts....there is nothing to inspire the economy, in fact, every proclimation and demonization from the WH makes people, companies, banks less likely to invest in an uncertain future, little desire to expand and do what we generally do to grow our economy...engage in commerce..Capitalism...evil capitalism...it's all being temporarily propped up at the moment, but who knows how long that will last....

Last edited by scottw; 01-26-2010 at 09:26 AM..
Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #28
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I

Let me turn it around, if McCain/Palin had won, what would he have done differently to have things turned around.

My guess? The economy would still be in the crapper, we still be invested in two wars, and she could still see Russia from her house
Any thoughts on this?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #29
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

A few thoughts - McCain would have reigned in spending. I know its a topic many disagree on, but I would have rather had a 800B tax cut than an 800B stimulus bill. Put the money in people's pockets, not the governments.
- Terrorists on trial - I dont think McCain would have provided foreign terrorists with the rights of US Citizens.
- McCain did have a proven history of bipartisan poolitics (most I didnt agree with) that may hace led to more unity in the country and potentially more progress. its a leap but I dont think Obama has united this country or congress at all.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 01-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #30
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Any thoughts on this?
it is irrelevant...those are my thoughts ...we're stuck with the current guy....and the Progressive agenda....big government, higher taxes and debt, more regulation by and centralization of the fed govt, nationalization...expansion and funding of the govt sector and unions and dependency while kicking the crap out of the private sector, but would things be different with McCain/Palin?...yep..probably ..... I doubt they'd be going down the road detailed above....but Nancy and Harry would still be there....at least till Nov... I'm sure they would have focused on jobs and economic growth a year ago as team Obama is claiming to do now, one year later....they would have more likely been focused on the country...Obama is only focused on himself...

maybe Obama should get an A+ for discrediting his own agenda, sinking the democrats, disproving Keynesian economics and Global Warming, trashing honesty and transparency, exposing Progressiveism.....