Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-25-2006, 10:54 PM   #31
JoeP

Ya know Spence - your guess is as good as mine because neither of us know the answer to that. I've certainly heard nothing rational from Biden's mouth short of the typical democrat partisan party-line BS...
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:28 PM   #32
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP
Ya know Spence - your guess is as good as mine because neither of us know the answer to that. I've certainly heard nothing rational from Biden's mouth short of the typical democrat partisan party-line BS...
Like what?

And please be specific...because recently he's been about the only person in Washinton who's talking any sense.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:53 AM   #33
NaCl H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence
Like what?

And please be specific...because recently he's been about the only person in Washinton who's talking any sense.

-spence
"My state is a slave state."
NaCl H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaCl H2O
"My state is a slave state."
Not sure what you mean???

Here's the full text.

http://biden.senate.gov/newsroom/det...fm?id=256095&&

-spence
Old 08-28-2006, 09:39 AM   #35
bobfishgerald
Guy who likes to fish

I am worried about the viability of a Democratic president. I am not a huge fan of Biden, I think Hillary would tear the party up, I don't think Kerry should run again and I think Al Gore is a better film maker than politician these days. As much as it pains me I think it is 4 more years for the GOP. McCain or Gullinani I believe have the kind of broad appeal that one needs to connect with the modern electriate.

I think the most positive thing I can say on the topic from the perpective of a liberal partiot is it will not be W and Chaney.
bobfishgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #36
NaCl H2O

Quote:
Not sure what you mean???

Here's the full text.

http://biden.senate.gov/newsroom/det...fm?id=256095&&

-spence
Here's the video.
NaCl H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #37
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaCl H2O
Here's the video.
Still don't get it...

Delaware isn't Mass...that's all he's saying

-spence
Old 08-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #38
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfishgerald
I am worried about the viability of a Democratic president. I am not a huge fan of Biden, I think Hillary would tear the party up, I don't think Kerry should run again and I think Al Gore is a better film maker than politician these days. As much as it pains me I think it is 4 more years for the GOP. McCain or Gullinani I believe have the kind of broad appeal that one needs to connect with the modern electriate.

I think the most positive thing I can say on the topic from the perpective of a liberal partiot is it will not be W and Chaney.
Good points...

So what is it about Biden you don't like?

-spence
Old 08-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #39
bobfishgerald
Guy who likes to fish

Quote:
Good points...

So what is it about Biden you don't like?

-spence
My lack of enthusiasm for Biden does not come from such a finely reasoned and rational point of view as your support of him clearly does. My memories of him from both the Bork and Thomas hearings were less than favorable. His earlier run which ended in him folding in the midest of plagerism alligations wasn't that great. He is terriably verbous. And there s something about hom that strikes me as elite or out of touch.

I do think that his message is SPOT ON. Both from an Iraq perspective and even more insightfully pointing out that terrorism is just ONE of the evils that make so many in this country unsafe and unsecure.

I just do not think that the current electorate will be able to over look the shortcoming of the senator. And therefror I am not a fan and do not think he would be a viable option as the democatic presidential hopeful.
bobfishgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #40
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfishgerald
My lack of enthusiasm for Biden does not come from such a finely reasoned and rational point of view as your support of him clearly does. My memories of him from both the Bork and Thomas hearings were less than favorable. His earlier run which ended in him folding in the midest of plagerism alligations wasn't that great. He is terriably verbous. And there s something about hom that strikes me as elite or out of touch.

I do think that his message is SPOT ON. Both from an Iraq perspective and even more insightfully pointing out that terrorism is just ONE of the evils that make so many in this country unsafe and unsecure.

I just do not think that the current electorate will be able to over look the shortcoming of the senator. And therefror I am not a fan and do not think he would be a viable option as the democatic presidential hopeful.
I appreciate the well reasoned response.

A person is a work in progress, anyone who becomes President has skeletons and someone who's been in the public eye will likely have many more.

But I believe voters care much more about where someone is going than where they have been. Kerry couldn't get over this hump and the void was quickly filled by his opponents. It's precisely that Biden has vision to lead the debate is why I think he'll be a success.

From what I've read (was too young to remember) the entire plaigarism scandal was handeled poorly, but was also quite overblown.

Sure Biden can come off as slick (he's one of the best dressed in the entire Congress!) and he certainly can be verbose...but it's a different verbosity than Kerry. Kerry just spun his wheels, Biden talks but his words really have meaning. It's something to be worked on for sure, but I don't see this as a show stopper.

The people are hungry for some real leadership...they don't want a repeat of the last two elections driven by Karl Rove's antics. The people want substance...it's going to be different this time around.

-spence
Old 08-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #41
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

My vote is on Romney. I really like what I have seen. Dont know his international view yet. He'll need a strong plan.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:46 PM   #42
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY
My vote is on Romney. I really like what I have seen. Dont know his international view yet. He'll need a strong plan.
And he's squeeky clean
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:07 PM   #43
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr
And he's squeeky clean
I'm not sure if anyone with that sort of a career can ever be squeaky clean

He's a strong candidate, and someone I'd consider...while he's a solid executive, he lacks the foreign policy experience of a Joe Biden...which will be important.

But most importantly, he may be considered too much of an outsider to the GOP establishment to get party support. The existing power structure is primarily concerned with maintaining the GOP majority...Mitt's independent side could seriously jeopardize this.

-spence
Old 08-29-2006, 02:41 PM   #44
mekcotuit

Not to mention that the right wing christian nut jobs will be very leery of a Mormon....too cultish and out there......

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
mekcotuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #45
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekcotuit
Not to mention that the right wing christian nut jobs will be very leery of a Mormon....too cultish and out there......
That is very true...

Although I have found mormons to be a bit freaky at times, generally speaking they are incredibly nice and genuine people. A pleasure to hang with.

-spence
Old 08-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #46
mekcotuit

Quote:
That is very true...

Although I have found mormons to be a bit freaky at times, generally speaking they are incredibly nice and genuine people. A pleasure to hang with.

-spence

Yes, except for that one man and three, four women thing...which adds anotehr whole twist to the gay marriage debate for the elections!

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #47
spence

Quote:
Yes, except for that one man and three, four women thing...which adds anotehr whole twist to the gay marriage debate for the elections!
Well, I don't think the number of Mormons that practice it is really that high...perhaps about 5 percent?

-spence
Old 08-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #48
mekcotuit

Sorry to get off subject....

was only being facetious about the multiple wives. But have heard 5-10%........

I have always liked Joe Biden.......

What about Bill Richardson?

Old 08-29-2006, 04:05 PM   #49
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

More than one wife????....Makes about as much sense as "More than one kick in the nads"

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 08-29-2006 at 04:29 PM..

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #50
spence

Quote:
What about Bill Richardson?
He's got a lot of good qualities...a bit goofy at times.

-spence
Old 08-29-2006, 06:32 PM   #51
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Ahhh, A Fireside Chat with Spence

Biden isn't bad but a little Used Car salesman like, high end used cars like Benz & Bentleys, but Used Car Salesman slickiness, like Sheldon Whitehouse...

Romney doesn't do squat for me...

Hmmm, who else are we looking at? Who besides McCain, Biden, and Clinton do you think will run and has a minor or above chance?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #52
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Biden vs Giuliani in The Battle of the Bad Combovers. Is America ready for a balding President

On a serious note---candidates from states with 3 electoral votes rarely get to run, and even more rarely get elected.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #53
Vectorfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty
I am sure which ever connected affluent person gets in there they won't have a clue as to how the average American lives his or hers life.
Not that it has anything to do with the presidential election but did anyone catch Fox 25 last night flying over Healy's houses and a few of the other canidates?? PM hit it right on the head these people don't have a friggin clue as to the average American lives !!
Vectorfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:01 AM   #54
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR
Biden isn't bad but a little Used Car salesman like, high end used cars like Benz & Bentleys, but Used Car Salesman slickiness, like Sheldon Whitehouse...

Hmmm, who else are we looking at? Who besides McCain, Biden, and Clinton do you think will run and has a minor or above chance?
Biden is easily one of the best dressed in Congress...perhaps that's why I like him

McCain will be a tough candidate, but unless he can get the GOP nod well in advance of the primaries I think the GOP could shred itsself in the process.

Same goes for Hillary. If the DNC was smart they would hash all this out so the primary process is just an exercise to reinforce the platform.

But we all know how little common sense there can be come voting season

-spence
Old 08-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #55
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

McCains age is a factor.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:24 AM   #56
whiplash
Sand pounder

pres?

I will most likely be harrased for this but I still like John Dean. Too left you say -well maybe we need a little left to make up for the fascist we have running our gov. now. No international experience - what did George II have . Did you hear him this morning on the Today show -the man can't string a sentence together.
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:59 AM   #57
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

The next one

I hear Mrs. Bush is running because George doesn't want to move just yet.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #58
Skip N

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash
I will most likely be harrased for this but I still like John Dean. Too left you say -well maybe we need a little left to make up for the fascist we have running our gov. now. No international experience - what did George II have . Did you hear him this morning on the Today show -the man can't string a sentence together.

Ah yes those evil right wing fascists! Its funny though, guys like you with your radical views, and pure hatred for Bush, never show any anger toward the real evil fascists in this world today, you know, radical islam. You have more anger towards Bush than the radicals who want us killed. Its truly sad and i feel sorry for you.
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #59
Skitterpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip N
Ah yes those evil right wing fascists! Its funny though, guys like you with your radical views, and pure hatred for Bush, never show any anger toward the real evil fascists in this world today, you know, radical islam. You have more anger towards Bush than the radicals who want us killed. Its truly sad and i feel sorry for you.

It might be because being struck at home is disturbing to some

Good health and family
Skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #60
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash
I will most likely be harrased for this but I still like John Dean.
I think you meant Howard Dean?

As an aside, John Dean's new book "Conservatives Without Conscience" is really good

-spence