Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 08-22-2003, 06:09 AM   #1
STEVE IN MASS

Question Notaro/Capesam....Question

Hey guys, have a question for you regarding lip reading (Sam, I believe you said your son is hearing impaired....forgive me if I am mistaken).

A new employee is starting next week at the place Donna works, and she happens to be hearing impaired. Evidently she reads lips.

However, there is another woman there (Amanda) that is from Columbia, and she has quite a thick Latin American accent. Donna mentioned that she thought the new employee would have a lot on her hands with Amanda because of her accent. I mentioned that I think it wouldn't matter, as long as she was actually speaking English.

So, the question came up, is it difficult for people that must read lips to do so if somebody has an accent?

Thanks......
STEVE IN MASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

shouln't have any problem, biggest thing is have her look right at her when she is speaking an talk slowly, not at a snail's pace, but not at 100 mph either. they should be fine and theres always the good old note pad too if theres a problem.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:03 PM   #3
STEVE IN MASS

Thanks, Sam, I'll pass that along to Donna to pass along to the others..........From what I've been told, Amanda is a bit over-bearing as it is (actually, at times she can hit Donna like a tornado...), so your suggestion of speaking slowly and directly is very helpful.

Thanks again....
Old 08-22-2003, 01:19 PM   #4
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:40 PM   #5
Notaro
None

steve, if the new employee is deaf. oh another thing, steve, most deaf people like us don't like to be labeled as hearing impaired. it means negative in a way to them. but im not saying that ur e worng or something. im just letting you know. anyway, if that person reads lips, it depends on a hearing person's speaking. sometimes a hearing person literaly speaks with his or her voice, not moving the lips. if that person wears hearing aids or some sort of CI (coclear implants), she might hear everything like a hearing person, but can she recieve the message into her brain and make it out into one concept? so it depends on individual.
another thing, if donna and the new employee are having a bad communication, use the paper and pen or a pager (wyndtell). and tell her that people shouldn't neglect the EYE CONTACT! it's vital for that person to have an eye contact in a conversation, so she will know that if a person is listening to her and feels at ease while the communication is being relaying back 'n forth.
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 06:12 AM   #6
STEVE IN MASS

Thanks Notaro. And thank you for the heads up on the "hearing impaired" thing.....I guess I was mistaken in thinking that was the proper term....you know, with all this "politically correct" garbage we have now-a-days, sometimes these so called "politically correct" terms aren't so correct to the individuals they refer to at all .

I will pass the information on to Donna....she is truely excited about having a new employee work with her, and wants to help make her feel comfortable and help her to be successful.....
Old 08-28-2003, 05:22 PM   #7
Notaro
None

No problem, Steve. I'm glad to hear about that.
Notaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 07:56 AM   #8
Raven

Post one other point

believe it or not and i have personally investigated this theory
that via evolution and heredity changes, latin american or spanish people have developed certain differences in their jaw and connecting muscles associated with speech due to the different pronuciation of the latino or spanish language that makes it difficult to enuciate certain english words correctly....

that is another reason why it's sometimes hard to understand their speech....in addition to the speed and increased number of syllables of the forementioned languages.

Last edited by Raven; 08-29-2003 at 08:01 AM..
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:49 AM   #9
jugstah

Send a message via AIM to jugstah Send a message via Yahoo to jugstah
I may have missed this thread, but I am also deaf, like Notaro.

And I am very proficient at lipreading. I think I speak for most deaf people that it is important to follow a few things.

People need to understand that they need to speak clearly, and this includes moving your lips in a way that we can read it. Often, I meet people who speak and they barely move their lips at all, and they are almost impossible to understand.

And there are people who grow the mountain look on their face, and as such, do not keep their facial hairs trimmed. How can a guy lipread a person whose lips are overrun with mustache?

Also, not only do people forget, but facial expressions are as important to speaking to deaf people as tonal frequencies when someone relays a story to a hearing person is....

"Remember Amateurs built the Ark -- Professionals built the Titanic."
jugstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 10:19 AM   #10
STEVE IN MASS

Jugstah, thanks, as well....

I guess I better try to remeber to trim my mustache right before the tourney legs...........

Thanks to all for the insights....
Old 09-04-2003, 10:20 AM   #11
chris L

And there are people who grow the mountain look on their face, and as such, do not keep their facial hairs trimmed. How can a guy lipread a person whose lips are overrun with mustache?

Its a flavor saver ! I can comb it to the side so someone can see my lips . I dont know why any one would ?! lol
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:23 AM   #12
jugstah

Quote:
Originally posted by chris L

Its a flavor saver ! I can comb it to the side so someone can see my lips . I dont know why any one would ?! lol
Flavor Saver? LMFAO!

I've seen my brother with an overrun mustache, and it's funny when you see drips of coffee on his mustache, or food..

and I just plain ignore him when he wants to talk to me, and he knows it's time to trim or else I ignore him while we're fishin'

Old 09-04-2003, 11:23 AM   #13
jugstah

Quote:
Originally posted by STEVE IN MASS
Jugstah, thanks, as well....

I guess I better try to remeber to trim my mustache right before the tourney legs...........

Thanks to all for the insights....
Anytime, my fellow striper fanatic