Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 11-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
redlite

F'd up mass dmv/ inspections

So I take my wife's 05 corrolla to dealership for inspection sticker today and it gets rejected for safety because the f'n state made license plate is peeling. I'm like are u f'n kidding me. Dealership said to go to/ contact registry. After 40 minutes on hold with them they tell me I have 2 choices. I can bring them in and get new number plate on the spot or if I want to keep same numbers it takes 90 days for them to make them at the jail. And I said well how does that work if I only have 60 friggin days to get it reinspected. She also said it is a few of $25 for the new plates either way. I I told agent that this is f'd up as they produced a #^&#^&#^&#^&ty defective product and now I have to pay for it. Then when I told her I was gonna call my congressman to file a complaint she proceeded to hang up on me.
This state is so f'd up I don't understand how we take it as citizens. Wait I know how we do, sideways up the butt with no lube
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I read about this stuff elsewhere

it seems you have a third option Mike

paint it yourself

google it, there is special paint I beleive

can't be that hard to prep and paint

are you surprised someone from the registry hung up on you?

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Guppy
User

Sorry Mike, can't stop laughing... :-)
I truly hate the DMV

Goes in for license renewal, she says look into the viewer, read top line, no problemo, read next line down, chit, couldn't get one of the letters, starts guessing, she says if you don't tell me that letter I can't renew,,,, I recited the entire alphabet, she says, pass

The last thing she wanted to do was creat more work for herself, Be-arch....

Good luck Mike
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I read about this stuff elsewhere

it seems you have a third option Mike

paint it yourself

google it, there is special paint I beleive

can't be that hard to prep and paint

are you surprised someone from the registry hung up on you?
No you can't..no refinishing of plates. Mike no worries go to the registry order your plates, should be no charge because they are worn not damaged. Bring your plate order receipt to your inspection station and they have to give you a sticker. No worries.
But yes the liberal #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s have allowed a new program and they now require 3 digital pictures. Front,back and odometer. Those get uploaded with the inspection. That way they can randomly audit inspections and send fines to inspectors and stations.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

you are right about that part Andy since it is after inspection , but if your plate is worn and you repaint it yourself with the proper paint ahead of time, it should pass inspection. Is that allowed?

getting closer and closer to escaping from this tyrannical state every day

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
Finlander

And if your headlight lens is cloudy you can be failed now as well.

Tight Lines!!!!
Finlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
tysdad115

No Bruce it isn't allowed. It will fail.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
And if your headlight lens is cloudy you can be failed now as well.
Technically you always could fail for that...what the #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s on Beacon Hill deem "massive inspection fraud" the people out in life call helping someone out. Many more vehicles will fail now , wait until the cameras in the bays start working. The fail rate will skyrocket.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
FishermanTim

When has ANY story involving the DMV, or any state agency for that matter, ever ending with the phrase "It was the best experience I've ever had!" (unless the person is a masochist and really enjoys pain)?

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #10
Rockfish9

Been there...feel your pain... I bought a new truck June of 16... so I go in to pick up my truck.. I spend a few minutes with the salesman and he disappears to take my plates off the old truck and put them on my new truck so he can have the shop put the sticker on it...this fiasco started at 10:00AM...

so he disappears with my new truck and someone else takes my old one .. I sit at his desk waiting for him to return... about 20 minutes latter he returns and says they are putting the sticker on it now... no sooner the words leave his mouth the service manager and their inspector motion him over... after the consultation... the 3 amigos come to tell me my NEW truck wont pass inspection because my rear plate is no longer reflective... so they propose the same scenarios outlined above... after some discussion another salesman ( whom I bought the previous truck from) comes over to say hello and suggests that I drive over to the registry and order a new plate... with the new plate receipt they will then give me my sticker... so I did just that... long story short... My wife works until 5... she beat me home.. but I did eventually arrive home in my new truck with a valid inspection sticker on the windshield.. so ya.. RMV and inspection stations suck...and I feel your pain.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #11
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
No you can't..no refinishing of plates. Mike no worries go to the registry order your plates, should be no charge because they are worn not damaged. Bring your plate order receipt to your inspection station and they have to give you a sticker. No worries.
But yes the liberal #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s have allowed a new program and they now require 3 digital pictures. Front,back and odometer. Those get uploaded with the inspection. That way they can randomly audit inspections and send fines to inspectors and stations.
I think it cost me $3 or maybe $5 for the replacement .. but it took about 2 months to arrive

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
Been there...feel your pain... I bought a new truck June of 16... so I go in to pick up my truck.. I spend a few minutes with the salesman and he disappears to take my plates off the old truck and put them on my new truck so he can have the shop put the sticker on it...this fiasco started at 10:00AM...

so he disappears with my new truck and someone else takes my old one .. I sit at his desk waiting for him to return... about 20 minutes latter he returns and says they are putting the sticker on it now... no sooner the words leave his mouth the service manager and their inspector motion him over... after the consultation... the 3 amigos come to tell me my NEW truck wont pass inspection because my rear plate is no longer reflective... so they propose the same scenarios outlined above... after some discussion another salesman ( whom I bought the previous truck from) comes over to say hello and suggests that I drive over to the registry and order a new plate... with the new plate receipt they will then give me my sticker... so I did just that... long story short... My wife works until 5... she beat me home.. but I did eventually arrive home in my new truck with a valid inspection sticker on the windshield.. so ya.. RMV and inspection stations suck...and I feel your pain.
I had the exact same scenario in 2010 when I bought my Tacoma. They just said to get new plates and come back. I left the dealership with my new truck and old plates, stopped at my regular inspection station and got my sticker. I still have those plates on it today. Just passed inspection too. I've had the same plates since 1985.
Two years ago my wife was stopped by a local cop and was told to get new plates (she had the old green one) because they weren't reflective any longer. We got new plates and eight months later, the new ones look almost as bad as the old. It's all BS.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #13
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
I think it cost me $3 or maybe $5 for the replacement .. but it took about 2 months to arrive
Wouldn't surprise me Joe. When they first came out with the 2 plate rule here the replacement plates used to be free as long as they were only worn and not damaged. Even then I think they were $10 to replace. Nothing stays "free" in this state.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
Guppy
User

On another note: I just bought a new rocket ship (thanks for the help Andy) and it's the first one I've ever owned with power windows... LOL no lie... I even lock the doors now... :-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #15
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
On another note: I just bought a new rocket ship (thanks for the help Andy) and it's the first one I've ever owned with power windows... LOL no lie... I even lock the doors now... :-)
Good you are enjoying it my friend , I'm happy to help anyone. Thank you for your business.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #16
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

So here's one I just found out about in RI. If you buy a used vehicle from a private party you have to pay sales tax on the retail Kelly Blue Book price when you register it. The bill of sale means nothing unless it's from a dealer.

You just cannot make this stuff up.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #17
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
So here's one I just found out about in RI. If you buy a used vehicle from a private party you have to pay sales tax on the retail Kelly Blue Book price when you register it. The bill of sale means nothing unless it's from a dealer.

Not true. You can have that bill of sale notarized and I believe that changes the rule.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #18
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post

MA is like that as well. I can sell a vehicle to a family member for a dollar, but they'll pay the tax on book value.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #19
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Not true. You can have that bill of sale notarized and I believe that changes the rule.
I didn't know that

Old 11-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #20
beamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
MA is like that as well. I can sell a vehicle to a family member for a dollar, but they'll pay the tax on book value.

You know what is rediculous. Seems they get there way.........

I donated my old truck in 2008. But you can no longer deduct the KBB value. You have to deduct what the charity SELLS to car for, which is usually lower than the KBB value. WTF.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #21
Raven

my wind-star van is now a designated farm truck
and will never again leave my property. I'll be parking it next
to the big garden for medication breaks and if it starts pouring.

it didn't pass inspection because of rust so i had to get a NEW truck
which is getting rust proofed and undercoated this week

Last edited by Raven; 11-20-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:57 AM   #22
Rmarsh

When I went to register my homemade boat, I got sent over to the sales tax office to prove that I paid taxes on all the materials. When I told them that I paid cash for the plywood to a private party in Conn. two years prior, I was informed that I would have to pay interest and penalty in addition to sales tax.

Back to the registration office, lady at the desk, rolling her eyes, upset by extra paperwork for the homemade. Had to fill out an affidavit how the boat came into existence with descriptions and pictures.

A few weeks prior to going to the registry there was an on site inspection of the boat by EPO. Lady officer did not want to believe I built from scratch.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #23
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
When I went to register my homemade boat, I got sent over to the sales tax office to prove that I paid taxes on all the materials. When I told them that I paid cash for the plywood to a private party in Conn. two years prior, I was informed that I would have to pay interest and penalty in addition to sales tax.

Back to the registration office, lady at the desk, rolling her eyes, upset by extra paperwork for the homemade. Had to fill out an affidavit how the boat came into existence with descriptions and pictures.

A few weeks prior to going to the registry there was an on site inspection of the boat by EPO. Lady officer did not want to believe I built from scratch.
I assume you paid tax on your own labor also?
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #24
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Another pet peeve. This *&*&& State assesses the Personal Property Tax on the KBB. I have a 2003 Silverado with rusted out rocker panels, rusted bumpers and 151,000 miles on it. They just taxed me at $9,500 book value.
So I drove the truck to the assessors office and parked it right in front of her office window. I asked her if she wanted to buy my truck for $9,500. She said she wouldn't give me $2K for it but it is the State of Rhode Island, not the town tax assessors office who sets the rules.
WTF!!!!!

Old 12-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #25
Raven

Arrow think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post

getting closer and closer to escaping from this tyrannical state every day
i was driving thru ALBION Maine (just east of waterville)
on a trip to the Coast
and had to stop at this one spot because you could look
in 360 degrees and see for many MANY miles nothing but
glorious farmland...just breath taking
for what your house is presently worth
you could sell -buy up here-(cheap) and put a ton in the bank
Old 12-22-2017, 07:11 PM   #26
Raven

my old 2000 ford van wouldn't pass inspection -too rusty

so now i'm driving a spiffy lookin truck and real Happy