Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #61
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
The U.S. postal system has needed extra funding at least ever since it became unionized. And for most personal and even much of people's official and financial correspondence, it has greatly been replaced by the internet. Computer mailing would probably be more reliable than postal mail.
Not since unionization as much as since a Republican led congress insisted they hold ridiculously high pension reserves.

Regardless it's an unprecedented, vile, shameless and brazen politicization of our system.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #62
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

It’s Trump looking for a conspiracy where one doesn’t exist, so he is turning the postal service into part of his campaign team. Trump never hides his intent, he basically admitted he is killing the funding to stop the mail in voting.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #63
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Not since unionization as much as since a Republican led congress insisted they hold ridiculously high pension reserves.

Regardless it's an unprecedented, vile, shameless and brazen politicization of our system.
Yeah, quite a bit since unionization, though not only because of that. The price of government beyond its normal idiotic and unsustainable spending, has incrementally grown by periodic union demands in wages and benefits--especially the benefits and generous pension arrangements and low ages possible for retirement.

As for the idea that the high pension reserves is the cause, this Forbes article effectively explains it differently: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer/.../#2281215d335f
Old 08-13-2020, 05:55 PM   #64
wdmso

Your mail in vote doesn't leave the town you mailed in in it's not rocket science

Thousands of absentee ballots have been processed by the military overseas forever they dont magically disappear or increase

At best they need some funding to cover overtime to process the ballots
Old 08-13-2020, 08:20 PM   #65
Pete F.
Canceled

Ahh it’s the evil unionists
Oddly enough the growth of the middle class parallels the growth of unions, those dirty bastards
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 08-13-2020, 11:36 PM   #66
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Ahh it’s the evil unionists
Oddly enough the growth of the middle class parallels the growth of unions, those dirty bastards
Their growth is parallel because it requires the creation of strong enough economies generated by profitable businesses that can afford to hire the number of workers and pay them the wages needed to sustain and grow the power of a union. The businesses come first. The unions follow.

It isn't as if unions were formed in order to create businesses. There was a middle class without unions. There are middle class jobs that don't have union employees. A free market can produce a middle class without unions. But unions need a market to exist in which they can usefully unionize.

The notion that it was the unions that created the middle class is backwards. And I didn't say that unions are evil. Private sector unions are viable because the relation is symbiotic. The union needs the business to be successful, so, if it is reasonable, it will negotiate win/win contracts. Public sector unions aren't as hampered by the need of their government agency to be profitable. Public sector unions are often one of the reasons why contracts, especially legacy costs, are not sustainable without the government raising taxes or going further into debt.

Last edited by detbuch; 08-13-2020 at 11:42 PM..
Old 08-14-2020, 05:22 AM   #67
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Your mail in vote doesn't leave the town you mailed in in it's not rocket science

Thousands of absentee ballots have been processed by the military overseas forever they dont magically disappear or increase

At best they need some funding to cover overtime to process the ballots
you understand the difference between absentee and mail-in voting...right?
Old 08-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #68
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The Covid virus has taken focus away from something far more troubling to future generations, but when you don’t believe in science to begin with, it’s all just white noise. Greenland ice is predicted to be soon beyond the point of stopping the ice melt eclipsing any snow to replace it and if it goes eventually that’s 23 feet of see level.

Here is a smart guy’s prediction, but hey vote for a science denier if you don’t care about your grandkids future.

Bill Gates summarized the current research this way: “By 2060, climate change could be just as deadly as COVID-19, and by 2100 it could be five times as deadly.” And unlike this pandemic, it would not abate and could not even be stalled, except by entirely zeroing out every ounce of carbon being produced now — 37 gigatons annually — by the planet we have transformed into an emissions factory, and then waiting, at least decades and perhaps centuries, for the climate to stabilize.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:42 PM   #69
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
The Covid virus has taken focus away from something far more troubling to future generations, but when you don’t believe in science to begin with, it’s all just white noise. Greenland ice is predicted to be soon beyond the point of stopping the ice melt eclipsing any snow to replace it and if it goes eventually that’s 23 feet of see level.

Here is a smart guy’s prediction, but hey vote for a science denier if you don’t care about your grandkids future.

Bill Gates summarized the current research this way: “By 2060, climate change could be just as deadly as COVID-19, and by 2100 it could be five times as deadly.” And unlike this pandemic, it would not abate and could not even be stalled, except by entirely zeroing out every ounce of carbon being produced now — 37 gigatons annually — by the planet we have transformed into an emissions factory, and then waiting, at least decades and perhaps centuries, for the climate to stabilize.
Old news.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #70
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

But no worries, what no children, no grandchildren, or just a science skeptic?
Old 08-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #71
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Awesome, I’ll finally have ocean front property
Old 08-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #72
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
you understand the difference between absentee and mail-in voting...right?
yes there is no difference..

Not sure why you keep suggesting they are diffrent.. because they are spelled differently?

Care to tell us how they differe
Old 08-15-2020, 11:10 AM   #73
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
yes there is no difference..

Not sure why you keep suggesting they are diffrent.. because they are spelled differently?

Care to tell us how they differe
Well, absentee ballots are for those who are Physically located outside their voting jurisdiction

Where mail in voting is, as you stated.....

Quote:

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #74
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Well, absentee ballots are for those who are Physically located outside their voting jurisdiction
No, they are for anyone who doesn’t want to or physically can’t go to a polling location for any reason allowed by local law.

My mom voted absentee for 30 years because she couldn’t walk.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #75
scottw

Quote:

Where mail in voting is, as you stated.....

absentee ballots are requested because the people that request them want to vote, the "mail-in" are just being sent out in volume....because democrats want to try to get as many stupid, lazy and dead people voting as possible because it increases their chances
Old 08-15-2020, 12:45 PM   #76
spence

Quote:
absentee ballots are requested because the people that request them want to vote, the "mail-in" are just being sent out in volume....because democrats want to try to get as many stupid, lazy and dead people voting as possible because it increases their chances
Stupid might just help Trump, lazy benefits nobody, dead doesn’t really happen.

Don’t know why making voting safer in a pandemic is a bad thing. It’s one of the most important institutions we have and yet one more Trump wants to undermine.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #77
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
No, they are for anyone who doesn’t want to or physically can’t go to a polling location for any reason allowed by local law.

My mom voted absentee for 30 years because she couldn’t walk.
Yeah, I’ll give you that, for those folks as well.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #78
scottw

Quote:
Yeah, I’ll give you that, for those folks as well.
wait... the same people who can't or refuse to differentiate between illegal and legal immigrants....can't or refuse to differentiate between requested and mailed out unrequested ballots...this is shocking
Old 08-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #79
wdmso

Quote:
Really love to see where that's happening.. Here in Massachusetts every registered voter had a application for a mail in ballot sent to their home.. and had the choice go to a polling site or fill out the application to receive a MAIL IN BALLOT

But why should facts matter
Old 08-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #80
scottw

Quote:
Really love to see where that's happening.. Here in Massachusetts every registered voter had a application for a mail in ballot sent to their home.. and had the choice go to a polling site or fill out the application to receive a MAIL IN BALLOT

But why should facts matter

CNBCPOLITICS

PUBLISHED FRI, AUG 14 2020
POLITICS

New Jersey will send mail-in ballots to ‘everybody’ for 2020 election, despite Trump’s attacks, governor says

New Jersey will send mail-in ballots to all registered voters for the 2020 presidential election while still offering the option for voters to cast their ballots in person, Gov. Phil Murphy said Friday.

“It doesn’t matter what party you’re in, everybody gets a ballot,” Murphy announced in a CNN interview.

Last edited by scottw; 08-15-2020 at 04:44 PM..
Old 08-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #81
spence

Quote:
CNBCPOLITICS

POLITICS

New Jersey will send mail-in ballots to ‘everybody’ for 2020 election, despite Trump’s attacks, governor says

New Jersey will send mail-in ballots to all registered voters for the 2020 presidential election while still offering the option for voters to cast their ballots in person, Gov. Phil Murphy said Friday.

“It doesn’t matter what party you’re in, everybody gets a ballot,” Murphy announced in a CNN interview.

Think of the widespread corruption when all of those people who were too lazy to register don't get ballots.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #82
scottw

Quote:

Think of the widespread corruption when all of those people who were too lazy to register don't get ballots.
that's ok democraps and their friends are working hard to register everyone with or without a pulse
Old 08-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #83
Pete F.
Canceled

One would think it important to make sure Americans vote

Country % of voting-age population % of registered voters
Belgium (2014)* 87.21% 89.37%
Sweden (2014) 82.61% 85.81%
Denmark (2015) 80.34% 85.89%
Australia (2016)* 78.96% 90.98%
South Korea (2017) 77.92% 77.23%
Netherlands (2017) 77.31% 81.93%
Israel (2015) 76.10% 72.34%
New Zealand (2017) 75.65% 79.01%
Finland (2015) 73.14% 66.85%
Hungary (2018) 71.65% 69.68%
Norway (2017) 70.59% 78.22%
Germany (2017) 69.11% 76.15%
Austria (2017) 68.79% 80.00%
France (2017) 67.93% 74.56%
Mexico (2012)* 65.97% 63.08%
Italy (2018) 65.28% 73.05%
Czech Republic (2018) 63.44% 66.57%
U.K. (2017) 63.25% 69.31%
Greece (2015)* 62.14% 56.16%
Canada (2015) 62.12% 68.28%
Portugal (2015) 61.75% 55.84%
Spain (2016) 61.17% 66.48%
Slovakia (2016) 59.43% 59.82%
Ireland (2016) 58.04% 65.09%
Estonia (2015) 56.82% 64.23%
United States (2016) 55.70% 86.80%
Luxembourg (2013)* 55.12% 91.15%
Slovenia (2014) 54.09% 51.73%
Poland (2015) 53.83% 55.34%
Chile (2017) 52.20% 49.02%
Latvia (2014) 51.69% 58.80%
Switzerland (2015)* 38.63% 48.40%
Iceland (2017) NA 81.20%
Japan (2017) NA 53.65%
Turkey (2017)* NA 85.43%
Old 08-15-2020, 10:15 PM   #84
wdmso

Quote:
CNBCPOLITICS

POLITICS

Again with the needle in the haystack theory

Now all haystack are full of needles
Old 08-16-2020, 04:08 AM   #85
scottw

Quote:
Again with the needle in the haystack theory

Now all haystack are full of needles
ummm...no

you very arrogantly wrote...

"Really love to see where that's happening.. ..But why should facts matter"

I showed you that you were wrong...period
Old 08-16-2020, 07:18 AM   #86
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post

One would think it important to make sure Americans vote

voting is voluntary and optional....it's not your business to make sure anyone votes but yourself
Old 08-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #87
detbuch

Quote:
voting is voluntary and optional....it's not your business to make sure anyone votes but yourself
Pete is an authoritarian.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #88
wdmso

https://www.foxcarolina.com/trump-en...5e64c42fd.html

Trump told supporters who'd dialed into a telephone rally. "You can request absentee ballots right now. Absentee ballots are great."
Trump encouraged supporters to "watch that other people aren't cheating, because that's what they're looking to do."

At the same time, he told his audience: "Absentee voting is a secure process. It's initiated by the voter -- you request it -- and every voter is verified. Every vote is verified. It's the exact opposite of Democrats' voter fraud scheme. They want to mail ballots to every eligible voter all over the state."

PS universal voting is another Trump Lie like open border, attacks on Christians

WOW Scott which is it good or bad encouraging people to get a mail in ballot but watch your neighbors they might be cheating because their Democrats?

Donald Trump keeps blasting 'universal' mail voting. But few states are planning that in November

But only nine states and the District of Columbia so far plan to hold universal mail-in elections
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/3333957001/

At least 77% of American voters can cast ballots by mail in the fall

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...y-mail-states/

And your needle you found doesn't support you or Trumps claims of wide spread fraud ..

Now you move the needle and ,, claim I just said Fraud .. nothing about widespread.. correct

But Republicans have always been about Voter suppression. It's in their DNA and nothing scares them like voter turn out

Last edited by wdmso; 08-17-2020 at 09:09 AM..
Old 08-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #89
Pete F.
Canceled

Nothing to see here

Tweety's donor installed as head of the USPS continues to cut, "reorganize," and dismantle parts of the agency.
The inspector general of USPS " is reviewing controversial policy changes recently imposed under Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, and is also examining DeJoy's compliance with federal ethics rules..."

READING ACROSS THE COUNTRY on the front page of local newspapers:
Arizona Republic, bottom of the front page: “Postal Service warns 46 states about ballot delays” …
Sacramento Bee: “Newsom says USPS changes ‘sabotage’ mail-in vote” …
San Diego Union-Tribune: “POSTAL SERVICE WARNS STATES IT MAY NOT MEET MAIL-IN BALLOT DEADLINES” …
Connecticut Post: “USPS to CT: Mail-in ballots not assured by Nov. 3 election” …
Hartford Courant: “USPS: Ballot delivery could be late” …

Miami Herald: “USPS warns Florida some of its mail ballots could be rejected” …
Tampa Bay Times: “Mail-in votes are threatened” …
Atlanta Journal-Constitution: “Mail delays may void absentee ballots”…
Wichita Eagle: “USPS removes mail machines in Mo., Kansas” … Baltimore Sun: “Answers sought in delays of US mail” …
Boston Globe: “Postal service warns about vote” …
Kansas City Star: “Mail machines in Kansas, Missouri removed by USPS” …
Star-Ledger (N.J.): “Postal service warns of possible ballot delay” …

Charlotte Observer: “NC voters urged to request, mail absentee ballots earlier” …
The Oregonian: “Leaders blast postal changes” …
Dallas Morning News: “Are mail ballots at risk?” …
Houston Chronicle: “States warned mail-in ballot delays likely” …
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: “USPS warns ballot delivery at risk”

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 08-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #90
wdmso

Quote:
ummm...no

you very arrogantly wrote...

I showed you that you were wrong...period
No you stated and I qoute mail-in" are just being sent out in volume....because democrats want to try to get as many stupid, lazy and dead people voting as possible because it increases their chances

And then I arrogantly wrote...qoute

And you showed me 1 state sending ballots to all registered voters 6 others are doing the same thing not all Blue ... but you never showed the reason other than your conspericy on why ... .. I guess in your Analysis Republicans wont be getting ballots in any state who mails ballots to all registered voters. , just asking. How you think mail in ballots help 1 side or hurts the other ?

I would think any American would support and encourage all Americans to vote and if making easier would benfit our democracy giving the people equal representation they deserve. But it's clear you only support a voting system you feel provides you and your party a cushion, via voter suppression tactics