Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sportsman's Talk

Sportsman's Talk New forum for other outdoor sports. Hunting, shooting, archery, and everything else that has you crawling around with the bugs...

Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Gun guys - do you think carrying makes a difference for terrorist threats?

Just wondering how you guys feel about personal defense these days. I mean, in a situation like Paris, you don't really have a chance.

I like to think its always better to have it than not but interested to hear your take, do you carry more now than before? I work at a school, so its not an option for me here in MA (even though there is gang violence right outside my office door)
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
Nebe

Just my personal belief but I think that if you had a gun, you have a much higher chance of surviving.
That's the easy answer and it assumes that everyone is as responsible as you are.
If everyone had a gun and carried it at all times I believe gun violence would go through the roof.
Gun control isn't the answer though because only law abiding people would follow the rules.

Complicated issue and I have even been thinking of picking up a hand gun.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
buckman

I look at it like a fire extinguisher . I hope to God I never need it , but I don't want to look like a damn fool, standing there when the fire starts and feeling helpless .
On a sidenote, two women I know who have their licenses to carry and never bought a gun, bought handguns last week. The world has changed .
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
Guppy
User

I don't carry local but do depending on my destination ...... RI, joking
Couldn't help myself
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I am looking at more compact hand guns to carry more often. My current carries, P226, 1911, are too big to carry a lot of the time. And I am not talking about printing. Strictly from a comfort standpoint. OWB and vice holsters are my preference and will need to get them too.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
spence

I think the odds of being involved in a terrorist attack are presently so low it's not worth worrying about. To Buck's point, hindsight would be a bitch if you thought you could make a difference. But I'm not sure there's a good case to be made that untrained CCW is going to do more good than harm.

If people do start thinking about carrying in response to a perceived terror threat I'd wager the odds of an innocent "Muslim looking person" getting shot go way up...
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Fortunately I am not in the "untrained" demographic you are using to make your case....

Secondly, it matters not whether a perpetrator is Muslim looking, or an obsessive fashionista. What matters is the behavior of said person in determining whether a concealed weapon comes unholstered. Mine has never come out in civilian life, and I hope it never has to.

The great majority of deaths brought on by mass shooters or terrorists occur in the first six minutes of the onset. The best average response time of LEOs is 4 minutes. So your chances are better if a. you can run and escape, or b. you can fight back. Law enforcement has just changed its tune in the past three months with regards to recommending option b, as they previously only told you to call 911 and run. They know they can't protect you. So you might well be better off to get trained, armed, and carry.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Secondly, it matters not whether a perpetrator is Muslim looking, or an obsessive fashionista. What matters is the behavior of said person in determining whether a concealed weapon comes unholstered. Mine has never come out in civilian life, and I hope it never has to.
Anti-Muslim hate crimes are still 5 times what they were before 9/11 and on that year they saw a massive spike. As the clock kid thread has shown, people's perception of "behavior" is largely colored by race and religion.

I believe the vast majority of people who seek a CCW have good intentions and will use sound judgement, but expansion beyond this natural base for other reasons will also cause problems.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #9
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Anti-Muslim hate crimes are still 5 times what they were before 9/11 and on that year they saw a massive spike. As the clock kid thread has shown, people's perception of "behavior" is largely colored by race and religion.

I believe the vast majority of people who seek a CCW have good intentions and will use sound judgement, but expansion beyond this natural base for other reasons will also cause problems.
There is a reason attacks happen in gun free zones . These guys are bigger cowards then you think .
As far as Muslim hate crimes .. Cry me a river . I have yet to here outspoken condemnation by Muslim leaders nor have I seen protest against radical Islamist .
If it quacks like a duck it's probably a duck
I think people's "perception " has been largely colored by blood and brutality .
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #10
Raven

there's a town in Texas where it's mandatory
to carry
and there is zero crime
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #11
tysdad115

Hypothetically? If I carried every day ? My first thing would be to get my family to safety taking any means necessary. Then if there's a reasonable chance to help anyone out in whatever way it takes I would take it. Easy to say sitting behind a keyboard but I'm more than confident in my ability to make a tight shot. Practicing every weekend , shooting from cover, shooting in the dark using only a small flash light and night sights. Whatever it takes to keep my family safe.
Of course they are both more than capable of making good shots too so they could provide covering fire !! My whole family is proficient with rifle and pistol so I'm on with that.
That being said I'd walk away if given the chance,but if the choice isn't mine I'm more than confident. If it was a situation in a room full of liberals ?? I'd give the guy ammo !!
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #12
tysdad115

Ross - I use a comp tac minotaur IWB for a full size 45 , the holster makes all the difference. Depending on where I'm headed i may carry a g19 9mm in a crossbreed supertuck iwb holster, or ruger sr9c in my pocket with a remora pocket holster. A quality holster will help anyone carry every day.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
There is a reason attacks happen in gun free zones . These guys are bigger cowards then you think .
As far as Muslim hate crimes .. Cry me a river . I have yet to here outspoken condemnation by Muslim leaders nor have I seen protest against radical Islamist .
If it quacks like a duck it's probably a duck
I think people's "perception " has been largely colored by blood and brutality .
Ahhh the old gun free zone myth. As for Muslim leadership condemnation, it's all out there.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #14
Bronko

S&W .40 shield (trigger redone) Alien IWB holster. Great reliable compact carry cannon. Rarely carry it, but as Rocport eludes.... Thinking about it more.
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #15
tysdad115

The only real decision for me is one extra mag or two ?
Old 11-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #16
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Quote:
Ahhh the old gun free zone myth.
Why don't you expound on why the myth is a myth???? I just want to know because I am aware of a number of killings that took place in so called gun free zones. So instead of coming off in a condescending tone, say what you, again, are alluding to.... A statement like above is just thrown out there as chicken chit....... Jeff, you should really go into politics. I am sure you will be successful, because your style of discussion/debate is really irritating.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #17
tysdad115

Wasn't this thread directed at "gun guys" asking a question ? Does liberal trash feel the need to spew vomit everywhere ? If you don't participate in the discussion about the topic stay out.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:45 AM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Why don't you expound on why the myth is a myth???? I just want to know because I am aware of a number of killings that took place in so called gun free zones. So instead of coming off in a condescending tone, say what you, again, are alluding to.... A statement like above is just thrown out there as chicken chit....... Jeff, you should really go into politics. I am sure you will be successful, because your style of discussion/debate is really irritating.
We've covered this before. There is no data that supports the argument that gun free zones attract mass shootings. This is from memory but I believe only 15 percent or less of mass shootings have taken place in gun free zones. I'm not aware of a single recent mass shooting incident where any motive was associated with the gun free zone as a softer target.

The whole gun free zone argument is a rhetorical device.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #19
Nebe

Sorry spence but you are way off base here.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ings-john-fund
[size=1][i]Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #20
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

yeah I was directing this towards those who carry or are thinking about it, not to spark another gun debate, but that's life here!

My sense is that if you can't get out of an active shooter situation (which is honestly what I would try to do first), its better to be armed and go down fighting. Not to bring down this thread and make it too morbid, but think about those people in the bartaclan theater, just hitting the ground waiting to be shot dead. If one or two people had pistols maybe they could have taken one of these pricks down and saved their own life ya know? I'm not talking about being freakin rambo and saving the massses, just enough to get out of the situation with your life.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #21
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm not aware of a single recent mass shooting incident where any motive was associated with the gun free zone as a softer target.

The whole gun free zone argument is a rhetorical device.
you have to be kidding and don't care about being taken seriously or have a terrible memory. The recent movie theater killings, Nebe's link, the concert hall in Paris.

rhetorical device? and you should know about those as a true liberal that you are, and being very familiar with those.

the gun free zone topic of discussion comes up because people can't protect themselves in those places of vulnerability so are sitting ducks, easy targets to slaughter. How do you not get that?

I don't carry, but am considering it. I am not going to be a victim if I can help it, and the more threats there are, I and my family are better off if I am armed. I also have a S&W Sheild in 40 cal. but need to get the trigger done. It fits perfect in a custom holster made by my brother who recently started a business making and selling them.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #22
tysdad115

It's just your typical liberal moronic way of thinking, the shelter in place mentality. Maybe they can blow their rape whistle really loud in a SHTF scenario.
How about the DC police chief advocating for "citizens to take out the attacker"
http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...yle-attackers/
And just how the hell does she expect that to happen when she is an anti who won't issue concealed carry permits to law abiding citizens?
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/24...roved-few-gun/

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:55 AM   #23
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Sorry spence but you are way off base here.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ings-john-fund
[size=1][i]Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The old read article and stop. You're turning into Scott.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #24
Nebe

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #25
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

For the Rhody guys.

RI schools are not off-limits to holders of valid RI pistol permits.

Carry when you can.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #26
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Although ccw is "available" in RI unless it is needed for "work" specific purposes attorney general will not sign off on it, although as the law is written your chief LEO is able to sign off, however they will and do not deferring to the attorney General.

You by no means are allowed to get a concealed carry permit "untrained" as has been stated above. That's just f'ing stupid talk.

To answer the op's question:
Yes, I do feel that a well trained/responsible armed populace is a deterrent to any type of criminal element foreign or domestic.

Domination takes full concentration..
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #27
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Cool

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:20 AM   #28
Fishpart
Keep The Change

The original intent of the framers of The Constitution

The militia of these free commonwealths, entitled and accustomed to their arms, when compared with any possible army, must be tremendous and irresistible. Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American … the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.

–Tenche Cox, Pennsylvania delegate to the Continental Congress

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Fishpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #29
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
The original intent of the framers of The Constitution

The militia of these free commonwealths, entitled and accustomed to their arms, when compared with any possible army, must be tremendous and irresistible. Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American … the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.

–Tenche Cox, Pennsylvania delegate to the Continental Congress
Great post.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #30
Hookedagain

I can't carry when I am at the fire station, however I carry at my second job daily. I am legal to carry in several states and it goes where I go. As Andy said, I will walk away first but that may not always be the case. My son and I are very capable of making the shot count, my wife on the other hand....she is working on it.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote