Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #31
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
Yep I understand the distinction, each instance has its own set of nuances but at the end of the day all the firings were essentially for the same reason.
Ok, now you're just spinning.

There's a huge difference between, I'd like to have Federal Prosecutors who share a common legal viewpoint, so I think I'll nominate them and let the Sentate confirm them...and in all but the most extreme circumstances let them serve out my term so you can do your job without fear of political influence.

Than, well, I thought we shared a common political viewpoint, but you seem to be spending a little too much time upholding the laws in ways that are causing me pain. So I think I'm going to fire you now midstream and replace you with someone of my choosing alone, that's going to do a much better job of following my political agenda...

And when questioned about it, I'll say it's for performance reasons. And when that's proved to be not accurate I'll just make something up, and point fingers, and then blame the media for a witch hunt.

It's called impropriety.

-spence
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #32
spence

Wow...the Senate votes 96-4 to require Bush to present all appointments for Senate approval.

The subpoenas are starting to fly. As a citizen of the USA it's quite refreshing to see bi-partisan oversight and the healing of our government.

-spence
Old 03-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #33
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

The president gets to appoint judges with common political viewpoints why not AG's?

When Hillary was president what was that mess she got herself and the first man into over travelgate. She had those people canned for telling the truth and nothing happened. Didn't her friend end up going to jail and she and Bill skated. Refresh my memory Spence, please? And I'm not being a wiseass by asking.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 03-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
The president gets to appoint judges with common political viewpoints why not AG's?
That's not the issue here, please reread the thread

Quote:
When Hillary was president what was that mess she got herself and the first man into over travelgate. She had those people canned for telling the truth and nothing happened. Didn't her friend end up going to jail and she and Bill skated. Refresh my memory Spence, please? And I'm not being a wiseass by asking.
Hillary was President

I don't remember exactly, but it's a moot issue. How come some people keep returning on the old "two wrongs make it right" line of defense?

-spence
Old 03-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #35
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I don't remember exactly, but it's a moot issue. How come some people keep returning on the old "two wrongs make it right" line of defense?

-spence
I think its more like people keep returning to the old "double standard" line of reasonable thought. By the way wasn't one of the prosecutors let go by Clinton involved in the Whitewater investigation, or is it out of bounds to mention that? And history isn't moot.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #36
spence

Quote:
By the way wasn't one of the prosecutors let go by Clinton involved in the Whitewater investigation, or is it out of bounds to mention that?
It's not out of bounds, it's just a meaningless talking point

1) The prosecutor in place was fired along with the other 93 in a routine dismissal and replaced via Senate approval.

2) It's been reported that the prosecutor who was fired, a Bush appointee had actually resisted investigating Whitewater despite pressure from the Bush administration to do so

Quote:
On Oct. 8 [1992], [Attorney General William] Barr convened a joint FBI-Justice Department panel to examine the referral [naming the Clintons as witnesses in the Whitewater case]. But the panel concluded that the referral "failed to cite evidence of any federal criminal offense." The panel's comment about the referral ranged from "junky" and "half-baked" to that its allegations were "reckless, irresponsible" and "odd."

Nevertheless, Barr put a preliminary investigation into motion and ordered Banks to review it again and to report back by Oct. 16, two weeks before the Nov. 3 election.

But, in fact, Banks had already concluded, and the FBI in Little Rock had agreed, that "no action should be taken on the referral at that time." Banks had already prosecuted Jim McDougal in 1990 for alleged bank crimes, and McDougal had been acquitted. Banks said further that he believed "no prosecutable case existed against any of the witnesses," most notably the Clintons.

3) After years and millions of taxpayers money spent investigation Whitewater during Clinton's presidency, the investigation ended without any claims of wrongdoing

So the characterization that Clinton fired a specific Federal Prosecutor to impeed an investigation into his own dealings is simply not supported by the facts.

You know, some grapes would go nicely in your salad. And those little mandarin oranges

-spence
Old 03-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #37
stripersnipr

"I's been reported"? Sounds like spin to me.
How about Jay Stephens who was midway through an investigation of Ways and Means Chairman Dan Rostenkowski who was indicted and convicted (and later pardoned of course) despite Clintons best effort to protect him. Does the fact he was one of 92 excuse that? Just routine right? Sorry Spence but Bush is no worse than Slick in this case. Just another case of the old double standard. Theres plenty more documented reasons why Clinton dismissed 92 FP's, I'll keep them coming if you want.

I hear grapes go better with Kool-Aid, is that true?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #38
spence

Quote:
"I's been reported"? Sounds like spin to me.
Follow the link, read the quotes, do some work instead of just ignoring the evidence and reciting anything, anything you can scrounge up to obfuscate the situation.

Did Clinton mislead Congress as to the motivation for his firings? Did Clinton dismiss prosecutors mid-term so the rest had to watch their backs? When Reagan or Bush 41 or Bush 43 did the same thing did they interrupt any existing cases against government officials?

I'd bet they did.

Quote:
How about Jay Stephens who was midway through an investigation of Ways and Means Chairman Dan Rostenkowski who was indicted and convicted (and later pardoned of course) despite Clintons best effort to protect him. Does the fact he was one of 92 excuse that? Just routine right?
Clinton's own appointed replacement continued the investigation, indicted and convicted Rostenkowski!

The prosecutors appointed from both parties did their jobs in enforcing the laws. The Sentate provided oversight...

The system worked.

Why don't ya grab these...

-spence
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #39
stripersnipr

LMAO............So Clinton supported the investigation and prosecution of Rostenkowski, right? That must be why he pardoned him. This thread was not intended to defend Bush or prosecute Clinton, it's intent was to point out a double standard that we witness in play by the media everyday. If you dont see it your blind. You have posted nothing that dispels that common belief. Clinton dismissed those prosecutors because he felt they didn't share his priorities, likewise Bush. Like it or not that is their perogative. I'm still waiting for Sandy Burglars lie detector test, but the media seems to have forgotten about that. His crime was and is far more serious than this media blitzkrieg, but they dont like to talk about that.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #40
spence

Quote:
LMAO............So Clinton supported the investigation and prosecution of Rostenkowski, right? That must be why he pardoned him.
Good God man, now you're mixing your talking points.

Clinton supporting the Rostenkowski's prosecution isn't the question, of course he didn't. But he clearly did allow the system to indict and convict, so one would assume he didn't fire the prosecutor to impeed the investigation as so many would like to think.

If the pardon was ethical is a separate issue.

Quote:
This thread was not intended to defend Bush or prosecute Clinton, it's intent was to point out a double standard that we witness in play by the media everyday. If you dont see it your blind.

You have posted nothing that dispels that common belief.
Have you read a thing I've posted, or do you just blindly cut and paste from goptalkingpointsmemo.com?

This entire scandal arose because the Justice Department appears to have misled the US Congress.

It's exploding because the Executive Branch is declaring executive authority to impeed an investigation to see if this is really true.

Would you like me to go back 10 years or so and print to quotes of Clinton's attack dogs, crying foul at his shameless use of executive privelage to limit transparancy? With all that Clinton still allowed some 41 aides to testify under oath!

Your bushbotic GOP gyro-coding has you on your head, and you think everyone else is upside down!

-spence
Old 03-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #41
stripersnipr

Quote:
This entire scandal arose because the Justice Department appears to have misled the US Congress.

-spence
The entire scandal exploded because the Media and their Democratic alliance chose to use the excuse of a boiler plate reply to a question that wasn't even required to be answered as cause for a fishing expedition. The scary part are the blind minions who can't even see through the hypocritical BS.

And again you are confusing anyone who see's through that hypocritical, double standard as GOP Lemmings. I despise hypocrisy on both sides it just so happens you guy's supply me with much more fodder.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #42
spence

Quote:
The entire scandal exploded because the Media and their Democratic alliance chose to use the excuse of a boiler plate reply to a question that wasn't even required to be answered as cause for a fishing expedition.

Only the Bush Adminstration could give a boilerplate response to an unprecidented organizational change....

...and expect those sworn to provide oversight to blindly rubberstamp the unprecidented organizational change.

-spence
Old 03-21-2007, 05:10 PM   #43
Skitterpop

Anybody seen any herring scouts yet?

Good health and family
Old 03-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #44
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitterpop View Post
No, but I'd certainly say the Sniper is having difficulty swimming upstream

-spence
Old 03-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #45
Nebe

spence, i think you found your new fishing partner for the season
Old 03-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #46
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
spence, i think you found your new fishing partner for the season
Huh?

Sniper doesn't fish, he boats

-spence
Old 03-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #47
buckman

"3) After years and millions of taxpayers money spent investigation Whitewater during Clinton's presidency, the investigation ended without any claims of wrongdoing"

I think the number of people that went to jail for this might disagree with you. We won't mention the people that ended up dead. The US attornies serve at the pleasure of the President. It's just that simple.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #48
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I think the number of people that went to jail for this might disagree with you. We won't mention the people that ended up dead.
Then add "against Clinton" as that's what I obviously meant

And yes, we all know Bill and Hillary pulled the trigger on Vince Foster and at least a few dozen others

-spence
Old 03-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #49
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitterpop View Post
Actually rumor has it the Taunton River runs are loaded.

Last report DNC volunteers were working vigorously to register the newcomers as Democrats in preparation for the 08 elections. When it was pointed out that fish are not legally qualified to vote, the volunters scoffed at the idea saying those laws only applied to Republicans and swore to investigate and subpoena any and all who disagreed with them. When they were challenged further they simply ran away as fast as they could.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #50
Nebe

didja know herring communicate by farting? im serious.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #51
stripersnipr

Quote:
Huh?

Sniper doesn't fish, he boats

-spence
I wish I could cast to Tuna from the beach. But I really can be found pounding the surf in Marshfield and Scituate every so often. Can I fish with you now?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #52
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
didja know herring communicate by farting? im serious.
I do too, whats so strange about that? So far I've only learned to say "you better leave the room" but I'm working on expanding my vocabulary.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #53
Nebe

I speak herring as well, and at sometimes the very complicated language of the mud shart
Old 03-21-2007, 06:39 PM   #54
spence

Quote:
I do too, whats so strange about that? So far I've only learned to say "you better leave the room" but I'm working on expanding my vocabulary.
So is that how you're communicating in this thread, by herring fart

Sorry about all of this, for a moment I thought I was Uffah!!

-spence
Old 03-21-2007, 09:10 PM   #55
Skitterpop

Lightbulb

Quote:
Actually rumor has it the Taunton River runs are loaded.

Last report DNC volunteers were working vigorously to register the newcomers as Democrats in preparation for the 08 elections. When it was pointed out that fish are not legally qualified to vote, the volunters scoffed at the idea saying those laws only applied to Republicans and swore to investigate and subpoena any and all who disagreed with them. When they were challenged further they simply ran away as fast as they could.
All Republicans wear panties and frilly flowing wigs

So.... after many posts and distillation we all agree that it does`nt matter who is in power... what group won the battle.... we as human beings tend to be far from perfect and though life is good its tough a nails sometimes.

anybody want to unplug from the matrix and fish soon?

Good health and family
Old 03-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #56
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

NEBE=fartologist

Thanks for the levity

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 03-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #57
mosholu
Mosholu

When a new administration comes in it is practive to appoint new AGs that are in line with your political views. Those appointments are submitted to the senate for approval. Under the legislation that extended the Patriots Act an additional provisions was put in to allow the appointment of a U
Old 03-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #58
mosholu
Mosholu

Sorry for the previous post I hit the wrong key.

When a new administration comes in it is practive to appoint new Attys that are in line with your political views. Those appointments are submitted to the senate for approval. This is part of the check and balances. Under the legislation that extended the Patriots Act an additional provision was put in to allow the appointment of a US Atty without Senate approval. This was to cover instances where an Atty dies or becomes incapacitated and an ongoing investigation or trial would be impaired. It is the use of this provision, intended to help the fight against terrorists, as a means to replace people with political appointments without review by the Senate which is really the issue here. I voted for the guy but his underlings willingness to twist and undermine basic principles of law and sepeartion of powers to extend their power is starting to scare me.