Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 10-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
Jimbo

Eben is there a simple way...

To figure out what glass is hand blown and what is not? We had family involved in the Sandwich Glass Works (of yore). I have the dubious honor of settling an estate on the Cape. Sort of a messy thing among relatives.
Some it seems easy to identify by the "navel" on the bottom that it came from some glassworks operation. Some, not so easy, but obviously someone spent some time making it. For example, a small dark red cup with a clear handle and my grandfather's name and date of birth on it. I was told as a kid that was Sandwich glass. But my folks had (and I have) 8 water glasses in the same color, but a clear glass stem and base that we kids were never allowed to touch. Even as adults if we'd had a couple pops before Thanksgiving dinner, my mother removed them from our spots at the table. Now I have a dining room table full of it.
So, is there any way for the untrained eye to identify hand blown glass? I also have some Tiffany work, but Louis was at least nice enough to put his little "l.c.t." on the bottom to let ya know.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
spence

Not sure if just being handblown is what you're after, there are a lot of kinds of vintage collectable glassware. You can learn a lot searching through antiques websites that specialize in glass.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #3
Pete F.
Canceled

I’d call the sandwich glass museum
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
Nebe

The term “hand blown glass” can be very vague. It sounds cheesy but it’s one of those things that isn’t”I know it when I see it” an and it’s hard to explain.
I will say that there is true “hand blown glass” where you will see a pontil mark on the bottom of the piece and tool marks near the lip that are there from the glass blower using his jacks to open the lip to a desired opening.

Then there’s “mouth blown”’glass where it’s blown into a mold and bonked off the blowpipe and a machine cuts the top off and fire polishes the lip. Lots of Eastern European glassware is made that way.

If you want me to look at something , send me a pm and I’ll give you my cell number .. text me some pictures and I’ll comment on what’s I think you have.

The Tiffany glass is worth big bucks FYI
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
Jimbo

I'll see if i can figure out how to post some stuff. I don't know if a phone pic does the stuff service. But I'll try.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote