Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

R.I.P. Agent 86

Get Smart used to be one of my favoritess.....still love catching the re-runs.

LOS ANGELES - Don Adams, the wry-voiced comedian who starred as the fumbling secret agent Maxwell Smart in the 1960s television spoof of James Bond movies, "Get Smart," has died. He was 82.

Adams died of a lung infection late Sunday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, his friend and former agent Bruce Tufeld said Monday, adding the actor broke his hip a year ago and had been in ill health since.

As the inept Agent 86 of the super-secret federal agency Control, Adams captured TV viewers with his antics in combatting the evil agents of Kaos. When his explanations failed to convince the villains or his boss, he tried another tack: "Would you believe ... ?" It became a national catchphrase.

Smart was also prone to spilling things on the desk or person of his boss — the chief (actor Edward Platt). Smart's apologetic "Sorry about that, chief" also entered the American lexicon. The spy gadgets, which aped those of the Bond movies, were a popular feature, especially the pre-cell-phone telephone in a shoe.

Smart's beautiful partner, Agent 99, played by Barbara Felden, was as brainy as he was dense, and a plot romance led to marriage and the birth of twins later in the series.

Adams, who had been under contract to NBC, was lukewarm about doing a spy spoof. When he learned that Mel Brooks and Buck Henry had written the pilot script, he accepted immediately. "Get Smart" debuted on NBC in September 1965 and scored No. 12 among the season's most-watched series and No. 22 in its second season.

"Get Smart" twice won the Emmy for best comedy series with three Emmys for Adams as comedy actor.

CBS picked up the show but the ratings fell off as the jokes seemed repetitive, and it was canceled after four seasons. The show lived on in syndication and a cartoon series. In 1995 Fox network revived the series with Smart as chief and 99 as a congresswoman. It lasted seven episodes.

Adams never had another showcase to display his comic talent.

"It was a special show that became a cult classic of sorts, and I made a lot of money for it," he remarked of "Get Smart" in a 1995 interview. "But it also hindered me career-wise because I was typed. The character was so strong, particularly because of that distinctive voice, that nobody could picture me in any other type of role."

He was born Donald James Yarmy in New York City on April 13, 1926, Tufeld said, although some sources say 1923 or 1927. The actor's father was a Hungarian Jew who ran a few small restaurants in the Bronx.

In a 1959 interview Adams said he never cared about being funny as a kid: "Sometimes I wonder how I got into comedy at all. I did movie star impressions as a kid in high school. Somehow they just got out of hand."

In 1941, he dropped out of school to join the Marines, lying about his age. In Guadalcanal he survived the deadly blackwater fever and was returned to the States to become a drill instructor, acquiring the clipped delivery that served him well as a comedian.

After the war he worked in New York as a commercial artist by day, doing standup comedy in clubs at night, taking the surname of his first wife, Adelaide Adams. His following grew, and soon he was appearing on the Ed Sullivan and late night TV shows. Bill Dana, who had helped him develop comedy routines, cast him as his sidekick on Dana's Jose Jiminez show. That led to the NBC contract and "Get Smart."

Adams, who married and divorced three times and had seven children, served as the voice for the popular cartoon series, "Inspector Gadget." In 1980, he appeared as Maxwell Smart in a feature movie, "The Nude Bomb," about a madman whose bomb destroyed people's clothing.

Tufeld said funeral arrangements were incomplete.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

rip 86. loved his cars- sunbeam tiger, shelby, karmen ghia..

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
2006......."missed it by that much!"

Rest In Peace Maxwell Smart...you made us all laugh!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
fishsmith
DDG-51

The cone of silence - That was good tv.

RIP - Don Adams
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
Diamond Tackle

He will be missed . He was a great charachter. I loved that show, esp the Kaos agents with their villian accents.Who was the Kaos guy that always called him "SCHmart" ? Pretty funny stuff , ill have to catch some of the episodes again .
RIP agent 86 !

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

" Would you believe a nun, 3 boy scouts and a poodle?"

Old 09-26-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Bernie Kopel from the Love Boat played that villian I believe.....and would you also believe a nius nin and some chop sticks? I thought not!

Old 09-26-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
Diamond Tackle

thats the one BF. He was "Ziegfried".
Remember that one agent that always got stuck with the crappy assigments. they would rendezous with him at some streetcorner and he would be inside a mailbox.. classic stuff.

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:28 PM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

His name was Hymey...Himey.....don't remember his agent number though!

Old 09-27-2005, 07:22 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman
Remember that one agent that always got stuck with the crappy assigments. they would rendezous with him at some streetcorner and he would be inside a mailbox.. classic stuff.

I think that was Agent 13....Hymie was the C.O.N.T.R.O.L. Robot.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:18 AM   #11
Saltheart

Good character actor , including Maxwell Smart!

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:23 AM   #12
Homerun04
Which Way Did They Go

Send a message via AIM to Homerun04
Agent 99....Barbara Feldman...?? What a great show.......thanks for the laughs and saving us from C.H.A.O.S.............

"You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give"
Homerun04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #13
The Iceman 6
Here fishy fishy

I loved that show.....really maxwell smart was way a head of his time, I mean the guy had a freakin' shoe phone........And the theme music, no words...just can't teach that stuff....

Ice
The Iceman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:31 PM   #14
striprman
Wishin' for fishin'

Go Go Gadget

striprman is offline   Reply With Quote