Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 11-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
BMEUPSCOTTY

hunting is dead...

in MA. Just saw on the news (at the beginning, no less) that the town of Upton made a big deal about having a deer check station near a playground. Heard some selectman lady saying "this is the time of year kids have reindeer in their heads, live reindeer and this is the last thing these kids want to see." ????????? Until I was twelve and could go with him, I spent my hunting season afternoons glued to the window, waiting for dad to get home from hunting. I couldn't wait to see if he got one. Don't hunters around here raise little hunters?? WTF is wrong here?? I initially was yelling and screaming at the tv, then started laughing, realizing that I don't have to worry. When I moved here in 91, I left my guns in PA, that's where I do my hunting anyways. I remember when I was in Red Top, not long after moving here, someone came in to buy BB's. The clerk asked to see something called an FID card. A what?!?!?!?! For !#$@$#@ BB's?!?!?!?!? I remember back home when my freind turned 16. He wanted a new shotgun for his birthday, so his parents gave him the money for one. We walked across town to the sporting goods store and he bought one. Walked back through town with it. I would give anyone $100 to try that around here. I am sure glad we have almost 500 acres in the family...

ps isn't upton west of 495??? I thought they were a little more normal out there... In PA they are trying to promote and preserve hunting. Their mentored hunting program allows kids under twelve to hunt (at the side of a mentor) chucks, squirrels and spring gobblers this year, and antlered deer starting next year. The Game Commision (not the towns) buys up any and all open space in the state to turn into public game lands. (which are open to non-hunting activities as well) I gotta give some kudos to you guys who still do it around here, with all the anti-sentiment and ignorance that exists. But you better pass it on to your kids, or it will be gone. Then everyone will be bitching about the ticks and rising auto insurance rates, and they'll come up with some ridiculous and un-natural "solution" to that. Remeber when they outlawed those cruel traps a few years ago?? I had a good laugh while the beavers flooded everyones basements...

Last edited by BMEUPSCOTTY; 11-28-2006 at 06:49 PM..
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I saw that piece...they never seem to moan and cry when a truck is headed down the highway with one or two in the bed and little Jimmy or Sally sees the big dead deer! These people are way over the top...its a fact of life....must eat so must hunt....natures oldest law!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
Raven

i call upton

uptight....

they are so rediculous
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

......all of these anti's should visit the slaughter house that prepares their food.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I don't see where its any different than taking your kid fishing, keeping a fish and hanging it on a scale at a bait and tackle for a photo op!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Its one of the most Hypocritical things in life.....Its OK to eat meat as long as nobody has to see where it comes from......and as long as it isn't a "Cute" animal everybody (well, almost everybody) is OK with it.

Cows, Pigs, and Chickens are ugly so Its OK.....But try and have a dinner of Bambi or Thumper and everybody thinks your "F"ed up.

I say If I can make a Gravy from it put it on the Plate

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
blaruffa
In the Hole II

I agree, this is ridiculous. My dad alaways hunted when we young, if Dadd'y didn't a deer it ment another winter without meet. He would take us a long as we got older. I loved sitting in the tree stand waiting for the deer to come so we would have food.

What Upton needs is a few deer jumping thru there windows in to there houses trashing the place.
blaruffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
rob-s

i read on another site that the check station has been there for years.
recently the school yard was enlarged closer to the check station.
i belive upton is on the western side of quabin, rural town, but obviously new folks move to town
rob-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:55 AM   #9
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Why is it that the whiners always get the publicity?

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Hey, it could be worse---you could live in New Jersey. I read where the state DNR director just ordered the annual bear hunt cancelled, in favor of exploring "non lethal" means of bear control This is in a state which already has the highest taxes in the whole US of A.

Almost as bad, a few years ago, a group of East Enders on LI wanted to ban hunting in favor of hiring "professional sharpshooters" to control the burgeoning deer herds out there. Downstate NY is shotgun and bow and arrow only. What's more of a threat to a home 500 yards away--a hunter with a shotgun or a "professional sharpshooter" with a 30.06?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #11
basswipe

As Ted Nugent says:"You can't grill it till ya kill it."

Ain't that the truth.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:19 PM   #12
fishsmith
DDG-51

Child : "Mommy why am I so tired and weak"
Mommy : " you have lyme disease, you had a deer tick on you"
Child: "Where do they come from?"
Mommy: "Deers honey, just like the ones we saw from the park"
Child: "Can I get a gun for Christmas"

Last edited by fishsmith; 11-29-2006 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: bad speling
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:19 PM   #13
BMEUPSCOTTY

Non-lethal bear control: get complaint about nuisance bear, trap bear, re-locate bear until it garners another complaint, repeat as desired.
BMEUPSCOTTY is offline   Reply With Quote