Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-10-2023, 06:21 PM   #181
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Wayne, using your exact words, can I simply say "there was a reason" and that's good enough? Or is that only good enough for you to use?

I'm not an extremist. But there are unelected people in DC who are very powerful and have been there way too long. Obviously not every federal employee fits into that category. But there are some.

In a democracy, only those we elect should be able to make policy. That way we can vote them out if we don't like what they're doing.
Not judges, not bureaucrats. Do you disagree? That's a sincere question, not a gotcha question.

1st I said everything happened for a reason and are easily explained and justified

The gop has not shown explanation or a justification for needing an 1875 rule. Or investigating the investigators

Of course their are unelected bureaucrats in DC we have a supreme court full of them

Not sure why unelected maters when the position . Doesn’t require it

Of course the GOP won’t name these unelected positions and would they just replace them with other unelected people?who have pledged allegiance to them not the nation?

To answer you question as I understand it.

Federal bureaucrats don’t make policy they interpret laws and apply the rules and make decisions because congress has empowered them to do.

The reason judges seem to be making policies is the congress won’t fix what’s broken and some courts like the SJC. Are accepting cases they should be refusing. So state’s attorney keep going back because their nonsensical arguments keep being entertained

We have a court taking a case based on a woman’s business

That only exists on paper?

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by wdmso; 01-10-2023 at 06:47 PM..
Old 01-10-2023, 09:39 PM   #182
Pete F.
Canceled

It’ll be interesting to see what Schumer does with the stupid MAGA stuff, does he just let it die or does he force GOP senators to take a vote on the actual House bills.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:39 PM   #183
Pete F.
Canceled

Jim Jordan is now officially the Chair of a subcommittee that will investigate why the Biden Administration imprisoned untold numbers of parents all across America just for speaking at School Board meetings, also known as Biden’s Concerned-Parent Pogrom.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:45 AM   #184
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post

Of course their are unelected bureaucrats in DC we have a supreme court full of them

Not sure why unelected maters when the position . Doesn’t require it

Of course the GOP won’t name these unelected positions and would they just replace them with other unelected people?who have pledged allegiance to them not the nation?

To answer you question as I understand it.

Federal bureaucrats don’t make policy they interpret laws and apply the rules and make decisions because congress has empowered them to do.

The reason judges seem to be making policies is the congress won’t fix what’s broken and some courts like the SJC. Are accepting cases they should be refusing. So state’s attorney keep going back because their nonsensical arguments keep being entertained

We have a court taking a case based on a woman’s business

That only exists on paper?

"Of course their are unelected bureaucrats in DC we have a supreme court full of them

Not sure why unelected maters when the position . Doesn’t require it"

I guess I didn't say it well. If someone isn't elected, that means "we the people" can't vote them out, which means they are not answerable to us. That's why they should not be setting policy. Especially supreme court judges who are there for life, that's exactly why my side likes to say "they shouldn't legislate from the bench", because we have no mechanism to keep them in check. That would be totalitarian. Setting laws and policies were meant to only be the purview of people who are elected by us. The job of unelected bureaucrats is to implement policy, not to create it. If you think about it, it's very logical and democratic. In a democracy, policies and laws should only be created by those who are directly answerable to us.

Obviously in the real world there are grey areas. But we should strive for that ideal, not venture too far away from it.

I'm not a thoughtless conspiracy nut. You know that I believe Biden won fair and square. But I do believe there are unelected people out there, who have bene there way too long, who have way too much power. That's what MAGA folk refer to as "the swamp". It's healthy to keep that to a minimum.

"Federal bureaucrats don’t make policy"

They aren't supposed to. Sometimes it ends up happening though. That's what happened when SCOTUS legalized abortion, that was obviously legislating from the bench. When the attorney general decides that parents protesting school board meetings are committing a federal crime. Anthony Faucci had too much power. Lobbyists have too much power (like the NRA, for example). Defense contractors have too much power.

I'm not saying everything is completely broken. I think it can be improved.

But it won't be improved. The GOP likes to talk, they don't always like delivering.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:49 AM   #185
Jim in CT

Quote:

The reason judges seem to be making policies is the congress won’t fix what’s broken

But the constitution doesn't say judges can change their role if congress isn't doing a good job. It's up to the voters, not the courts, to fix a broken legislature. What you just said, seems to imply that you agree with me.

Judges aren't supposed to make decisions, based on whether or not they personally like what congress is doing. That's the definition of totalitarianism.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:31 AM   #186
wdmso

Quote:
But the constitution doesn't say judges can change their role if congress isn't doing a good job. It's up to the voters, not the courts, to fix a broken legislature. What you just said, seems to imply that you agree with me.

Judges aren't supposed to make decisions, based on whether or not they personally like what congress is doing. That's the definition of totalitarianism.
Tell that to the conservatives majority in the us supreme court

And Republicans who want them to legislate from the bench

IT’s Republicans who are pushing
The The independent state legislature theory posits that the Constitution of the United States delegates authority to regulate federal elections within a state to that state's elected lawmakers without any checks and balances from state courts, governors, or other bodies

There’s a thread that links the partisan gerrymandering of congressional maps in North Carolina, attempts to dissolve the Wisconsin Election Commission, and efforts to overthrow the 2020 presidential election in Pennsylvania and elsewhere. In each case, the participants have invoked a dubious interpretation of the Constitution called the “independent state legislature theory.”

Long relegated to the fringe of election law, the theory will soon be front and center before the Supreme Court, which has agreed to hear a case concerning the North Carolina congressional maps in the fall. If the Supreme Court were to adopt the theory, it would radically change our elections.

Then, after the 2020 election, President Trump and his allies used the independent state legislature theory as part of their effort to overturn the results. For a third time, the Supreme Court declined to adopt the theory. But three sitting justices — Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Neil Gorsuch —endorsed it.

But this court took up the case with the 3 above acceptance of the case

Last edited by wdmso; 01-11-2023 at 11:41 AM..
Old 01-11-2023, 12:11 PM   #187
Jim in CT

Quote:
Tell that to the conservatives majority in the us supreme court

And Republicans who want them to legislate from the bench

IT’s Republicans who are pushing
The The independent state legislature theory posits that the Constitution of the United States delegates authority to regulate federal elections within a state to that state's elected lawmakers without any checks and balances from state courts, governors, or other bodies

There’s a thread that links the partisan gerrymandering of congressional maps in North Carolina, attempts to dissolve the Wisconsin Election Commission, and efforts to overthrow the 2020 presidential election in Pennsylvania and elsewhere. In each case, the participants have invoked a dubious interpretation of the Constitution called the “independent state legislature theory.”

Long relegated to the fringe of election law, the theory will soon be front and center before the Supreme Court, which has agreed to hear a case concerning the North Carolina congressional maps in the fall. If the Supreme Court were to adopt the theory, it would radically change our elections.

Then, after the 2020 election, President Trump and his allies used the independent state legislature theory as part of their effort to overturn the results. For a third time, the Supreme Court declined to adopt the theory. But three sitting justices — Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Neil Gorsuch —endorsed it.

But this court took up the case with the 3 above acceptance of the case

I never said the GOP is free of hypocrites. But our democracy is healthier if elected officials, and only elected officials, legislate and make policy. Roe V Wade was a massive violation of that ideal.

"Tell that to the conservatives majority in the us supreme court"

You are basing your attack, on how you are assuming a future case will go.

But as I said, the GOP has plenty of hypocrites.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:55 PM   #188
wdmso

Quote:
I never said the GOP is free of hypocrites. But our democracy is healthier if elected officials, and only elected officials, legislate and make policy. Roe V Wade was a massive violation of that ideal.

"Tell that to the conservatives majority in the us supreme court"

You are basing your attack, on how you are assuming a future case will go.

But as I said, the GOP has plenty of hypocrites.

But our democracy is healthier if elected officials, and only elected officials, legislate and make policy

I’d say Having a potus and his party willingly trying to overturn an election is far more of a concern then republicans claiming unelected bureaucrats are a danger

But the GOP are doing exactly what I said they would do.

the Republican-led House is poised to vote on two abortion-related measures. One would condemn attacks “on pro-life facilities, groups, and churches,” while the other would force medical practitioners to provide care to infants who survive an abortion — a very rare occurrence

Funny their bills seem to be once again influenced by Fox News headlines

'Slow-walked justice': FBI insists it is prosecuting attacks on pro-life centers amid claims of politicization
A pro-life activist says the FBI has 'slow-walked justice' for pregnancy center attacks because of politics

More than 100 pro-life orgs, churches attacked since Dobbs leak
DOJ has yet to announce any arrests in attacks on pro-life centers

Republicans doing what they do best playing the victim and suggesting conspiracies are at play

I Just need gun bill . And they checked all my boxes
Old 01-11-2023, 01:44 PM   #189
Jim in CT

Quote:

I’d say Having a potus and his party willingly trying to overturn an election is far more of a concern then republicans claiming unelected bureaucrats are a danger

So we can't discuss anything other than January 6...forever?
Old 01-11-2023, 01:50 PM   #190
Jim in CT

Quote:
But our democracy is healthier if elected officials, and only elected officials, legislate and make policy

But the GOP are doing exactly what I said they would do.

the Republican-led House is poised to vote on two abortion-related measures. One would condemn attacks “on pro-life facilities, groups, and churches,” while the other would force medical practitioners to provide care to infants who survive an abortion — a very rare occurrence

Funny their bills seem to be once again influenced by Fox News headlines

'Slow-walked justice': FBI insists it is prosecuting attacks on pro-life centers amid claims of politicization
A pro-life activist says the FBI has 'slow-walked justice' for pregnancy center attacks because of politics

More than 100 pro-life orgs, churches attacked since Dobbs leak
DOJ has yet to announce any arrests in attacks on pro-life centers

Republicans doing what they do best playing the victim and suggesting conspiracies are at play

I Just need gun bill . And they checked all my boxes
"One would condemn attacks “on pro-life facilities, groups, and churches,”"

Are you opposed to condemning such attacks?

"the other would force medical practitioners to provide care to infants who survive an abortion — a very rare occurrence"

Yes, it's rare. But are you opposed to the bill?

I don't think independents are adamantly opposed to requiring that care Wayne. Only a very callous person would oppose that.

"Republicans doing what they do best playing the victim"

They're not playing victim. They're trying to help actual victims.

If America wanted babies to be ;left to whiter and die, and if America wanted pro life buildings to be attacked, I don't think America would have given house control to the GOP.

Wayne, elections do in fact have consequences. If you thought the GOP was going to legalize late term abortions on their first day, that's on you.

You posted quotes from folks saying the FBI isn't taking those attacks seriously. You posted nothing to suggest those people are wrong. Are we supposed to take your word for it?
Old 01-11-2023, 02:41 PM   #191
Pete F.
Canceled

Don’t we have existing laws that this falls under?
Do we need a new law for every special interest group?
Old 01-11-2023, 02:49 PM   #192
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

The Constitution doesn’t say they can’t, so…..
Totalitarianism’s having a cult appointed now constituting a majority of the Supreme Court and imposing their religious beliefs.
Kinda like the guys who wear the robes in Afghanistan

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-11-2023, 02:59 PM   #193
wdmso

Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signs executive orders on first day of term ( Should say she Blew a dog whistle)

The first one she signed institutes a promotion and hiring freeze for all state government workers.

Another executive order will prevent government agencies from implementing new regulations without her approval.

“We are going to continue to limit the scope of government and empower Arkansans,” Sanders said.

Sanders also signed an executive order aimed at prohibiting “indoctrination and Critical Race Theory in schools.”

Maybe she should take care of bigger issues in her State .

Here entire work history is working for daddy minus orange daddy good luck Arkansans day 1 governing by decree Gotta Love Republicans

Health Care 48th Education 41st economy 41st Infrastructure 43rd
Crime & Corrections 48th
Old 01-11-2023, 03:08 PM   #194
wdmso

Quote:
"One would condemn attacks “on pro-life facilities, groups, and churches,”"

Are you opposed to condemning such attacks?

"the other would force medical practitioners to provide care to infants who survive an abortion — a very rare occurrence"

Yes, it's rare. But are you opposed to the bill?

Do you really need a bill condemning these attacks? Do we have a bill condemning Jan 6th attacks .. nope just more feeding the Maga horde total political posturing

I don't think independents are adamantly opposed to requiring that care Wayne. Only a very callous person would oppose that.

"Republicans doing what they do best playing the victim"

They're not playing victim. They're trying to help actual victims.

No their not Jim The unborn are not the victims their unborn

If America wanted babies to be ;left to whiter and die, and if America wanted pro life buildings to be attacked, I don't think America would have given house control to the GOP.

Wayne, elections do in fact have consequences. If you thought the GOP was going to legalize late term abortions on their first day, that's on you.

So much for inflation gas prices and the border

More red meat for the minority of people. Just say Abortion

You posted quotes from folks saying the FBI isn't taking those attacks seriously. You posted nothing to suggest those people are wrong. Are we supposed to take your word for it?
More of the gop and the rights victimization brought to you by Fox News

The FBI is against solving these crimes…. Really. Actually Jim it’s a local police issue not the FBIs. But don’t expect the Truth from Fox or Republicans

You may not know this if you’re not tuned in to conservative media, but the FBI has an agenda to protect abortion clinics and punish conservatives generally and anti-abortion conservatives specifically.

So goes the narrative believed by many anti-abortion advocates, including elected officials like Sen. Ted Cruz, R.-Texas.

Crisis pregnancy centers often are touted as “clinics,” even though they offer no licensed medical services and are designed to talk women out of having abortions.

Pro-abortion political elites are attacking pro-life people not because they are dangerous criminals but because the core pro-life belief undermines their power over the masses,

the pro-abortion Hydra is pulling out all the stops, failing to investigate violence against pro-lifers, weaponizing the FBI and legislature against them, and censoring them. Why? Because if the Republicans win the midterms and gain control of the House and Senate, they will have the ability to engage real investigations into conspiratorial crimes committed by law enforcement, government, big tech and pro-abortion extremists against pro-life people.”

But of course the GOP is doing just that passing a bill based on conspiratorial crimes committed by law enforcement and government against pro life people

It never stops with this party and it’s supporters
Old 01-11-2023, 03:49 PM   #195
wdmso

Alito and Thomas encourage opponents of gun control laws to keep pressure on the courts

So now it’s open activism
Old 01-11-2023, 04:35 PM   #196
Jim in CT

Quote:

The FBI is against solving these crimes…. Really. Actually Jim it’s a local police issue not the FBIs. But don’t expect the Truth from Fox or Republicans

Y
Yet you didn't take that position when the feds got involved with parents having the nerve to speak up at local school board meetings. Not a peep from you about why that's not a local issue.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:39 PM   #197
Jim in CT

Quote:
It never stops with this party and it’s supporters
I know, right! Imagine getting worked up over a silly, trivial thing like tens of millions of babies slaughtered in the womb. Cant they just chill?

We need SENSIBLE policies. We don't need to worry about babies being mutilated. What the country needs, is fewer cops, and for men to have more access to girls locker rooms. That's what people want! That, and for eggs to cost a buck a piece.

You really have your finger on the pulse of America. That's why, when Gallup asked Americans if they were better off after 4 years of Trump, 100% of Americans said no.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:45 PM   #198
PaulS

Quote:
You really have your finger on the pulse of America. That's why, when Gallup asked Americans if they were better off after 4 years of Trump, 100% of Americans said no.
Can you pls. post up that poll as I couldn't find it.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:49 PM   #199
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Can you pls. post up that poll as I couldn't find it.
you didnt get that was a joke?

in the poll i like to cute, a record number of americans identified as being better off after 4 years of trump. so when wayne claims that america wants to turn into san francisco, gallup’s polling would seem
to contradict that.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:50 PM   #200
Jim in CT

Quote:
Alito and Thomas encourage opponents of gun control laws to keep pressure on the courts

So now it’s open activism
what did they say/do, exactly?
Old 01-11-2023, 04:58 PM   #201
wdmso

From Sara

We will show the world that there is still a place in America where freedom reigns and liberty will never die, and that place is Arkansas.

What a loser
Old 01-11-2023, 05:13 PM   #202
PaulS

Quote:
you didnt get that was a joke?

in the poll i like to cute, a record number of americans identified as being better off after 4 years of trump. so when wayne claims that america wants to turn into san francisco, gallup’s polling would seem
to contradict that.
I'd like to see the pole where they specifically said they were better off after 4 years of trump. Usually those polls ask are you better now then you were 4 years ago which is quite different.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:30 PM   #203
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I'd like to see the pole where they specifically said they were better off after 4 years of trump. Usually those polls ask are you better now then you were 4 years ago which is quite different.
sorry, i thought you were asking me for the poll, where i said 100% said they were t better off.

here it is. obviously this isn’t saying that 60% of americans like trump. but to some degree, this poll is a referendum on the 4 years of a presidents term.

in think americans liked his policies, many of which were popular and centrist. They just couldn’t stand him, and for good reason.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/285593/...elections.aspx

Old 01-11-2023, 05:45 PM   #204
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Ah but to some degree, sounds like a change of tune, damn and it was one of your greatest hits.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:50 PM   #205
PaulS

Quote:
sorry, i thought you were asking me for the poll, where i said 100% said they were t better off.

here it is. obviously this isn’t saying that 60% of americans like trump. but to some degree, this poll is a referendum on the 4 years of a presidents term.

in think americans liked his policies, many of which were popular and centrist. They just couldn’t stand him, and for good reason.

Probably difficult to totally understand the results without the actual question but agree in some ways it's a referendum on the president. For me personally I would answer it based on my health or finances.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:52 PM   #206
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Ah but to some degree, sounds like a change of tune, damn and it was one of your greatest hits.
no change of tune. saying what i always say. i guess it was just to fast for you.

i’ll stop bringing it up, when you guys stop
claiming that trump didn’t do anything good, and that the gop is a lunatic fringe party.

this is why you’re all scared of Desantis. He’ll advocate for popular and effective policies, and while he’s far from perfect ( i didn’t like him going after disney) he’s not nearly as repulsive as Trump. He appears to be a very formidable candidate. which is why the left never stops
lying about him.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:59 PM   #207
wdmso

Now in the fantasy world of the Maga GOPQ. The Secretary of Transportation

Was responsible for the south west air line meltdowns

And now he’s responsible for the flight system crashing

Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., who tweeted: "Pete Buttigieg couldn't organize a one-car funeral.

The Republicans intellectual dishonesty is amazing
Old 01-11-2023, 08:57 PM   #208
Pete F.
Canceled

Debating the house rules on the floor today, and the first amendment offered by a Republican is about making stricter the rules of what women have to wear in the house.
After they get done with that, do you think they’ll make the runt wear a jacket?
Old 01-11-2023, 09:08 PM   #209
Pete F.
Canceled

You talking about this DeSantis?

Florida’s education system is vastly underperforming.
A close look at ‘the Nation’s Report Card’ shows how Florida fails its students as they move up through the grades.
A few years ago, just before COVID hit, a Stanford University study of state-level standardized tests showed that Florida’s “learning rate” was the worst in the country — by a wide margin.
Florida students learned 12 percent less each year from third to eighth grade than the national average from 2009 to 2018. The next worst state was Alabama, according to The Educational Opportunity Project at Stanford University. Florida’s political and education leaders completely ignored that finding.

Billy Townsend
Billy Townsend [ Provided ]
Contrast that deafening silence with the hype and misinterpretation that comes with the release of the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), “the Nation’s Report Card.” When those results came out last fall, Gov. Ron DeSantis crowed on Twitter that, “We kept schools open in 2020, and today’s NAEP results once again prove that we made the right decision. In Florida, adjusted for demographics, fourth grade students are #1 in both reading and math.”

Tellingly, DeSantis ignored the eighth grade results, which came out far worse than fourth grade — just as they have in every NAEP cycle since 2003.

The “Nation’s Report Card” is a snapshot of group proficiency taken by different cohorts of kids every two years in reading and math in fourth grade and eighth grade. It produces state-by-state results and proficiency rankings. It does not track individual kids year over year. But it does tell you how Florida’s fourth and eighth graders compare with students in other states. I crunched the data, and here’s the bottom line: Florida’s students perform worse as they move up through the grades. There is consistent, massive systemic regression with age. And the gap is widening.

This is a state failure, not a local one attributable to individual districts. Yet, in every NAEP cycle, Florida politicians and education leaders brag about fourth-grade NAEP results in press releases.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:10 PM   #210
Pete F.
Canceled

Or this DeSantis

Ron DeSantis just summarily declared an election null and void and vacated the seat of an elected official. He announced he would select the replacement.

And you think someone who does this has conducted fair and honest state elections? He stopped federal election monitors from being allowed inside polling places across the state in 2022. So you tell me. 🤔

DeSantis is erasing democracy in Florida.