Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 05-28-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
Motor Fish

Question Tools to get started

Hi guys,

I joined the site last month and until very recently never even thought about building my own plugs. However, after seeing pictures of the plugs all of you have built, the idea has grown on me. I've decided to give it a shot.

My questions are very basic (at least at this point). What tools are required for a newbie like myself to get started? And, can anyone recommend some articles or books? Any other advice or information on how to get started would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Motor Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
All the information you could possibly ever need......you will find right here! Take it from someone who knows! I am just finishing my first batch of plugs and were it not without the help of the builders on this site, they would not be coming out nearly as well as they are. Better still, if you get in a tough spot or need to ask any question at all, simply post and someone will have the answer you are looking for in no time. A small lathe would be a good place to start....I got mine used from Bassmaster for about $50.00 and it works great. The same model lathe, a Grizzly can be found new at their website Grizzly.com. Its a small tabletop model and sells new for I think about $150.00 maybe a little more. Use the search mode here on the site and you can find all the information you need.....good luck MotorFish and welcome to the wonderful world of plug building!

Oh, almost forgot, if you are serious about getting into plug building, you will want to attend "Plug Night II" at MSBA on August 25th in Braintree. Everything to do with plugs from building them to fishing them...it is a blast! Hope to see you there.

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
Bernzy

I would recommend starting out with some kits or pre-turned blanks like you will find at NJ Tackle.
You will sand, seal, paint, assemble and clearcoat.
It is an inexpensive way to build some fine plugs without having to purchase a lot of equipment.
This is the way a lot of us ( myself included) started out.

Good luck,

Bernzy

"Sometimes you eat the bear and, well, sometimes... the bear, he eats you." _____________________
Support your S-B sponsors
--------------------------------------
Bernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Bernzy has a good point....I started out "great guns" and am into this so far for over $1,300.00 now and I got 20 plugs about four days from done!(however they are beauties ) It will pay off for me in the long run because I know I enjoy it and I intend to keep building plugs. Who knows, you may find out you don't like it and not continue, then you are out $1,300.00 and stuck with all the stuff you bought!

Old 05-28-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
Motor Fish

I read that thread you wrote about 5 minutes ago. I also plan on getting my hands on that article that you pointed out too.

I like to think of it more as an investment. In the long run it'll save me many bucks. Especially at the rate that I lose them. And I wanted to start making wood furniture anyway.

But Bernzy has a good point and I'll probably take that route first. Partly because I'm sure it'll take me a while to master the technique and because I NEED NEW PLUGS NOW! Ordering pre-turned blanks will get me going faster. I'm sure I'll like it though. I need another hobby for when I can't fish.

I've already got a lot of the tools, but I'll need a few more. A man can never have enough tools. I've already been to grizzly.com and ebay for a lathe. Haven't decided on a model yet. What model number would you recommend and are there special accessories that are required?

Thanks again.
Motor Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:46 PM   #6
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

being a newb myself i also consider the time/money as an investment. as far as saving jack i'm not so sure, my first few plugs cost me about $300 each! you'll find the guys here great and they have amazing talents and knowledge. one question guys, affliction or addiction??

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:16 PM   #7
Karl F

thirteen hundred!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:03 PM   #8
Jigman

It is doubtful that you will save any money making your own plugs. As long as it is an enjoyable hobby, that is not a problem. The benifits are that you can design plugs specifically for the areas you fish and the way you like to fish. I would start out with the kits as Bernzy suggests. Its a great way to get a feel for what it takes to make a plug, plus you'll have something that will work rather than sawdust. If you want to jump in from the start, you can do poppers with just a pocket knife, sandpaper, and hardwood dowels from homies. After that, lathe, drill press, belt sander, etc. will soon be in your shop. Remember the safety gear too, face shield and dust mask.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
Backbeach Jake

W W W Was that 1300 American bucks?!! I'm coming 'Lizabeth this is the big one. Yeah, that's about right, don't let my wife find out. I'm supposed to be saving money on plugs. All kidding aside, this is a great hobby and this site harbors some masters. We all share knowledge freely amongst ourselves, and using the search feature is a gold mine of pluggage.
My tools: A lathe at $150
Drill press $99
Belt/disc sander $99
Band saw $99
A load of Drill bits: 1/2 Forstner, 3/8 bradpoint, 3/16 bradpoint and another on extra long, and other assorted sizes.
Sand paper in 220 320 and 400 grits.
These things aren't carved in stone, they're just work for me. I'm by no means a woodworker, if I were I'm sure things would go a lot smoother. Good luck and post some work soon!

Last edited by Backbeach Jake; 05-28-2004 at 08:52 PM..
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 08:34 AM   #10
Codfather4
Greatness

If you want to try something cheap before you become fully addicted, you could by a belt/disk sander instead of a lathe. The technique I use is to buy some dowels in the size you want and put it on an electric drill and press it against the belt sander so it will make the plug nice and even, and its a lot faster than turning it by hand. Its sort of like a poor mans lathe

Stay classy
Codfather4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:47 AM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Backbeach....think about it....sounds like you are into it for almost a grand! I include all those little incidentals which are also not cheap.

Old 05-29-2004, 01:47 PM   #12
Backbeach Jake

That's what I'm saying( but not loud enought for wifey to hear) The tools were relatively inexpensive. But paint and wire and grommets and lips and hooks and swivels nickle and dime you to the grand and a half zone quickly. Heck, my airbrush only cost 6 bucks at Ocean State. If I'd bought a Badger or Paasche I'd be in the 2 grand zone. My stutter was from my realizing that your figure was nearly the same as mine.. I just hadn't done the math. BUT... this is still the most enjoyable hobby that I've ever had. See you at the Race BigFish...We got trading to do.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:50 PM   #13
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I will be down there for two weeks starting the 5th of June Backbeach so keep an eye out for my maroon CJ-7.....ya can't miss it by the plates....."BIGFSH"! I will have a few for tradin' just in case!

Old 05-29-2004, 01:53 PM   #14
Backbeach Jake

Old 06-01-2004, 09:38 PM   #15
PARTSGUY

Lightbulb

HOW ABOUT ATACHING A TREBEL HOOK TO A HEINEKIN
KEG CAN?
PARTSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote