Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #121
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Trump’s lying far surpasses any predecessors on quantity alone.
Far too many of his claims have no factual basis.
Anyone else would be embarrassed to be caught, and not just double down on the BS.

The downfall of General Donnie Bonespurs long con is coming.
I figure he’s going to show up on TV sooner or later in a uniform with epaulets so I’ve given him a new nickname and don’t worry:

The Meme is Coming
You have not actually made a count of how many lies politicians have made in the past and present. Your claim that Trumps quantity surpasses those of his predecessors is just convenient blather. It is the sort of lie, which has no factual basis, that typical politicians have always resorted to.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #122
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
You have not actually made a count of how many lies politicians have made in the past and present. Your claim that Trumps quantity surpasses those of his predecessors is just convenient blather. It is the sort of lie, which has no factual basis, that typical politicians have always resorted to.
Here's a couple of counts for roughly the same number of statements, now come up with a new spin for your BS

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #123
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Joined yes, but I've have almost zero participation on this political board until Trump ran in 2016.
Same here but I am honest about it.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #124
Sea Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Perhaps it is the constant lying from Trump which never occurred before. Or the constant chaos in the Oval office with members of his own team saying derogatory things about Trump. Or the hypocrisy of the right which would have been screaming holy hell at some of the things that are being done if prior administrations had done them (declare a national emergency to build the wall - imagine if Obama said we have a national health emergency re ACA).

But Got Stripers can certainly respond for himself.
Suck it.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 01-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #125
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Suck it.
Another thoughtful response. I don't really expect more from you.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #126
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Another thoughtful response. I don't really expect more from you.
He's giving you all he's got.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #127
Sea Dangles

I am almost giggling.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #128
detbuch

Quote:
Here's a couple of counts for roughly the same number of statements, now come up with a new spin for your BS

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/
You said: "Trump’s lying far surpasses any predecessors on quantity alone."

I replied "You have not actually made a count of how many lies politicians have made in the past and present." I should have specified a count of "all" politicians, but that is implied in my reference to your "any" predecessors.

Your little sample of Politifact's check on the truth of a few assertions, out of the massive uncountable number of political statements by predecessor politicians is pathetic. It certainly doesn't demonstrate that the few selected checks of Trump statements, nor the few selected ones of Obama, are a count or even an indication that Trump has far surpassed any predecessor in quantity of lies. You haven't even begun to check the record of all predecessor politicians. Your statement is, indeed, as I said, "the sort of lie, which has no factual basis, that typical politicians have always resorted to."

And what's hilarious, even in this skewed and insignificant number of truths and lies by Trump compared to Obama, Trump scores 29% completely true to Obama's only 20% percent completely true. The rest of the categories from mostly true to pants on fire all are versions in which some untruth exists--that is they're partial lies, which is typical of most slanted political lying and media opinion pieces.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-08-2019 at 09:43 PM..
Old 01-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #129
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
You said: "Trump’s lying far surpasses any predecessors on quantity alone."

I replied "You have not actually made a count of how many lies politicians have made in the past and present." I should have specified a count of "all" politicians, but that is implied in my reference to your "any" predecessors.

Your little sample of Politifact's check on the truth of a few assertions, out the massive uncountable number of political statements by predecessor politicians is pathetic. It certainly doesn't demonstrate that the few selected checks of Trump statements, nor the few selected ones of Obama, are a count or even an indication that Trump has far surpassed any predecessor in quantity of lies. You haven't even begun to check the record of all predecessor politicians. Your statement is, indeed, as I said, "the sort of lie, which has no factual basis, that typical politicians have always resorted to."

And what's hilarious, even in this skewed and insignificant number of truths and lies by Trump compared to Obama, Trump scores 29% completely true to Obama's only 20% percent completely true. The rest of the categories from mostly true to pants on fire all are versions in which some untruth exists--that is they're partial lies, which is typical of most slanted political lying and media opinion pieces.
New spin as I predicted, now look at the false side and not surprisingly it's Obama 150 to Trump 444.
You do understand that they did not factcheck every word spoken by each politician, but only looked at issues someone found questionable.
I'm not interested in spending the rest of my life doing political research to rebut an internet argument, perhaps you are.
And so my opinion still stands as stated
No elected American politician has ever lied as much as Generalissimo Donnie Bonespur the First.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #130
spence

Quote:
New spin as I predicted, now look at the false side and not surprisingly it's Obama 150 to Trump 444.
Well that's just statements they've decided warranted checking. I think the WaPo's analysis of all of Trump's public remarks is more telling, what are they up to now like 6 or 7 thousand false or misleading statements? You don't even need to analyze past recent presidents, nobody could manage that volume.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #131
detbuch

Quote:

The false side in the survey was degrees of false. All on the false side were not completely true, but partially false. That makes the trick more believable. It's called slanting in a direction while not actually being totally truthful.

You do understand that they did not factcheck every word spoken by each politician, but only looked at issues someone found questionable.

I completely understand that. Do you? Some issues someone found questionable. Some statements. That Politifact bothered to "check." Uggghh . . . there are an insurmountable number of political statements tinged with or are completely lies that they didn't "fact check." There is no way that your statement "Trump’s lying far surpasses any predecessors on quantity alone" can be verified. And there have been some very prolific liars in the present and past. What you state is not only unverifiable, it is obviously a stretch meant to demonize. It's a discredit to your analysis or opinion of Trump if you have to stoop to this tactic. You don't have to go beyond reason or logic to persuade. If you do, it makes what you say less believable. At least to a logical person. Of course, the choir, when preached to, will lap up each word as gospel truth.

I'm not interested in spending the rest of my life doing political
research to rebut an internet argument, perhaps you are.

Who's asking you to? Some of your page long research results are dull boring repetitious and slanted stuff already. Piling on more would be insufferable to read.

And so my opinion still stands as stated
No elected American politician has ever lied as much as Generalissimo Donnie Bonespur the First.
Maybe you can get Politifact to verify that.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #132
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well that's just statements they've decided warranted checking. I think the WaPo's analysis of all of Trump's public remarks is more telling, what are they up to now like 6 or 7 thousand false or misleading statements? You don't even need to analyze past recent presidents, nobody could manage that volume.
Oh, really? 6 or 7 thousand of Trump's remarks warranted checking? Even wdmso hasn't found that many Trump remarks to warrant pointing out . . . and a lot of what he does is pretty trivial.

And the WAPOST? That bastion of objectivity? You know there are other publications and blogs that fact check politicians, and which focus on the leftist side's lies. You might want to expand your field of information and occasionally step outside the anti-Trump arena.

Again, though, your post is just expansive opinion.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #133
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Oh, really? 6 or 7 thousand of Trump's remarks warranted checking? Even wdmso hasn't found that many Trump remarks to warrant pointing out . . . and a lot of what he does is pretty trivial.

And the WAPOST? That bastion of objectivity? You know there are other publications and blogs that fact check politicians, and which focus on the leftist side's lies. You might want to expand your field of information and occasionally step outside the anti-Trump arena.

Again, though, your post is just expansive opinion.
Perhaps you could inform us of the mainstream publications that offer this information

Lets Go Darwin
Old 01-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #134
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:

Sorry I’d rather live in a free society than an authoritarian one.
Ya know Pete,
You are supporting the party that is authoritarian not I.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #135
detbuch

Quote:
Perhaps you could inform us of the mainstream publications that offer this information
I get criticized for linking videos and articles, or the stuff is not watched or really read but poo-pooed anyway. I think it would be better, and more convincing, if you went on the web and searched it out yourself.

More to the point. I am not impressed by nor care much about lists of stupid lies politicians have told. And it is annoying more than informative if every mistake, or ignorant comment, or difference of opinion is called a lie just to inflate the numbers. But if they're funny, I can enjoy that. You may not have noticed, but I think that lying is a common political tactic that is used by all of them, and is accepted by those who want to believe them.

Sure, pointing out some policy to be wrong, whether it is a lie or just plain wrong, can be important. But claiming run of the mill political rhetoric to be a lie is usually a ho-hum, what's new kind of moment for me. And constantly, daily, on and on, harping on someone being a liar begins to take on the character of some psychological tic.

So, OK then, I've vented about it, and wont anymore. Carry on with informing us about Trump being the greatest liar of all time.

Last edited by detbuch; 01-08-2019 at 09:07 PM..