Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 08-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #31
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Stick a fork in the Republicans, like I said earlier, Mondale/Ferraro
Yup.....McCain is an inept candidate challenging a wildly popular incumbent.

Do you really think that it was Ferraro who caused Mondale to lose?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #32
saltfly

wait till the media starts "digging" into her life.I hope there's not many ghosts.I can't wait for the debates.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #33
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
McCain will be a single term president, he's too old.

And while I'm sure she will be put on the attack, she'd going to have to find some credibility somewhere to make any of it stick.

I completely disagree with Mike P. above on the debates. Biden is a good speaker with a library of anecdotes and analysis he can bring to bear.

She has a good life story for sure, but at the end of the day she'll just be spinning rehearsed talking points.

-spence
Biden is a rambling speaker who can't stay on point, assuming he ever gets to the point. He's infamous for it.

Biden can't even hold an audience in the Iowa Democratic caucuses.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #34
Joe

I bet they were on the fence with a couple of people then decided they needed more star-power.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #35
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Yup.....McCain is an inept candidate challenging a wildly popular incumbent.

Do you really think that it was Ferraro who caused Mondale to lose?
No I don't think that, however Mondale and Ferraro did not stand a chance, I think she was nominated for the VP as a token gesture not as an attempt to beat Reagan
Old 08-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #36
spence

Quote:
Biden is a rambling speaker who can't stay on point, assuming he ever gets to the point. He's infamous for it.

Biden can't even hold an audience in the Iowa Democratic caucuses.
Well, I said good and not great

This isn't a Senate hearing where the point is to make your statement rather than ask questions. The debates don't give you much opportunity to be long winded.

-spence
Old 08-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #37
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
agian.. desperate people make desperate decisions.
Like voting for a 148 day wonder?

My initial reaction was disappointment but the more I learn about her I'm seeing this as an extremely shrewd political maneuver. There's a whole lot of disenfranchised cougars out there who are already applauding the choice. 80% bi-partisan support in her state. Neither JM or BHO can make that claim.

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Old 08-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #38
MAC

I think the Obama crowd is a little scared right now. He should have grabbed Hillary when he had the chance. Personally I don't see Biden doing much for him.

Obama talks about CHANGE...... Biden has been in DC for what, 30 years ? That to me sounds like same old, same old.... to me. Not change.....

And on the debates; I think Biden will get chewed up. A heckler would probably drive him nuts and totally off topic.

Like Swimmer pointed out though. The main race is between Obama and John McCain. Hopefully the Reps. smoke em.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #39
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Well, I said good and not great

This isn't a Senate hearing where the point is to make your statement rather than ask questions. The debates don't give you much opportunity to be long winded.

-spence
I plagiarized this verbatim from a post on another website, which pretty much sums it up:

Against Ramblin' Joe? You may be surprised.

1.Biden is terrible off the prompter - a legend on Capitol Hill.
2. He can't hit her too hard because she's a chick. Hillary used this to her advantage countless times in debates.
3. Expectations will be lower for her so all she has to do is stay even.
4. We don't know yet how good she is in a debate. She may be a killer.
5. VP debates don't win elections. Dan Quayle was OWNED by Lloyd Bentsen but Dukakis still had to drive his tank back to Taxachusetts afer the election, didn't he?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #40
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Her Kids have weird names

Track, Bristol., Willow, Piper, and Trig

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #41
spence

Quote:
I plagiarized this verbatim from a post on another website, which pretty much sums it up:

Against Ramblin' Joe? You may be surprised.

1.Biden is terrible off the prompter - a legend on Capitol Hill.
2. He can't hit her too hard because she's a chick. Hillary used this to her advantage countless times in debates.
3. Expectations will be lower for her so all she has to do is stay even.
4. We don't know yet how good she is in a debate. She may be a killer.
5. VP debates don't win elections. Dan Quayle was OWNED by Lloyd Bentsen but Dukakis still had to drive his tank back to Taxachusetts afer the election, didn't he?
I think #'s 4 and 5 will be the most important. My expectation is that she's bright and quick and this will help her hold her own. Expectations for Bush were low and he was able to stumble through, even though Kerry killed him in all three.

But I really can't see her chewing Biden up, and I think he's a better speaker than you're giving him credit for.

Time will tell...

-spence
Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #42
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
There's a whole lot of disenfranchised cougars out there who are already applauding the choice. 80% bi-partisan support in her state. Neither JM or BHO can make that claim.
Yea, amazing that the people who voted her into office, in a very red state, would support her as VP

-spence
Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #43
JoeP

Haven't been in here for a while because I haven't been overly excited about my Republican Party's actions the past couple years...

But picking Sarah Palin is a Home Run!! on all fronts. Too many positives to list here. Just a great pick...

I already thought that the almighty chosen one Obama could not win the electoral college in November - but I think picking VP Palin really puts it over the edge.

You can see it already that since about 11:00AM today the mighty Obama's speech from atop his tower last night has already been wiped out of the headlines by Palin. It's amazing the amount of positive energy this pick of Palin has generated in 12 hours.

And remember one thing about Biden. As quick/sharp as he may be his main "trait" is his annoying condescending and arrogant tone in his comments. He pulls that stuff against Sarah Palin in a debate and he'll immediately be cast as the evil ogre attacking the lovely VP female candidate... Remember Gore rolling his eyes...that went over really well.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #44
tynan19
Stuck In Reality

Here is a better one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Palin_resize.preview.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	28758  
Old 08-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #45
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
And remember one thing about Biden. As quick/sharp as he may be his main "trait" is his annoying condescending and arrogant tone in his comments. He pulls that stuff against Sarah Palin in a debate and he'll immediately be cast as the evil ogre attacking the lovely VP female candidate... Remember Gore rolling his eyes...that went over really well.
I think this could cut both ways, sure he could be seen as a bully...on the other hand many voters would see her as not up to the fight.

Because she's an attractive woman people may apply a higher standard.

-spence
Old 08-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #46
JoeP

Quote:
I think this could cut both ways, sure he could be seen as a bully...on the other hand many voters would see her as not up to the fight.

Because she's an attractive woman people may apply a higher standard.

-spence
Nah - the only ones who would have that opinion are the liberal elites already in Obama's camp. The centrist soccer-mom types and conservaties would take offense to Biden for that. Of course those same liberals who would take Biden's side against Palin would be the same to attack a Republican for doing the same to Hillary Clinton if the roles were reversed...
Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #47
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Nah - the only ones who would have that opinion are the liberal elites already in Obama's camp. The centrist soccer-mom types and conservaties would take offense to Biden for that. Of course those same liberals who would take Biden's side against Palin would be the same to attack a Republican for doing the same to Hillary Clinton if the roles were reversed...
I think you're trying a little too hard to spin like a pundit here

Hillary is a battle axe, I don't buy the notion that you have to give her a pass for being a woman.

Palin is being sold as if she's a Repub cut from the same stuff. If so she'll have to earn her respect or be made a fool. My guess is that she's got some substance, but people are paying a lot more attention this time round.

-spence
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #48
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynan19 View Post
Here is a better one.
We need one with gurry on her glasses

Just watched part of the CNBC exclusive, she is actually very articulate. Don't know how much was setup but it was indeed an enlightening show.

NECN had PUMPAC.ORG leaning her way, their postion was that Hillary was denied the bid by election gerrymandering.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #49
fishsmith
DDG-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersnipr View Post
My initial reaction was disappointment but the more I learn about her I'm seeing this as an extremely shrewd political maneuver.
Me thinks the same, . This move does take the wind out of DNC. My vote remains with McCain, I gots to shut up and listen more ...

as a side note, I am happy that Jay Severin didn't get his boy Mitt
Old 08-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #50
sokinwet

Hey I'm a lifelong hunter and fisherman too and I don't know much about this woman yet; but so far I've read....creationist, believes global warming is a hoax, against a womans right to choose, not a hint of foreign policy experience, a short time removed from being Mayor of thriving "podunk" Alaska.... I'm jaded here..I work for local government ;-( ..., being investigated by special counsel in her own state for abuse of power...this certainly doesn't get any of the "Hillary" vote...and I dont care if she was pulling pots on "Deadliest Catch" and looks like J Lo, it sure as heck won't get mine either.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #51
JoeP

Quote:
I think you're trying a little too hard to spin like a pundit here

Hillary is a battle axe, I don't buy the notion that you have to give her a pass for being a woman.

Palin is being sold as if she's a Repub cut from the same stuff. If so she'll have to earn her respect or be made a fool. My guess is that she's got some substance, but people are paying a lot more attention this time round.

-spence

Spence - noone spins more than you... And you're giving the average citizen way too much credit. You'll see - as soon as Biden pulls his arrogant crap with her it'll backfire.

And by the way - I firmly believe she is capable of going toe to toe with Biden - which she'll do hands down.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:16 AM   #52
stripersnipr

Quote:
Yea, amazing that the people who voted her into office, in a very red state, would support her as VP

-spence
The approval rating is for her job as Governor and has nothing to do with the vice presidency. Try to keep up.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #53
Nebe

Sokinwet's got it right.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #54
Backbeach Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl F View Post

People will begin to look long and hard at Palin... because of McCain's age and health issues... & they really need to... she would be litteraly and figuratively a "heartbeat" away from the big desk.....

gonna be an interesting couple of months of listening to all the pundits... and trying to sift thru all the spoon fed

Let's call it the Gina Davis syndrome.
..and yep this is gonna get very interesting. She's gonna have to walk a very fine line, just being a woman. Wimp on one side, beyotch on the other. Sportsmen of a lesser IQ are gonna think that she's one of them. If the Rebuplican Party is endorsing her, especially McCain, then she's for more of the same. No thanks.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 08-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #55
Nebe

correct me if I am wrong, but was it not Mccain who played adds asking something to the efffect of 'who do you want to answer the phone at 3 AM when there is a problem'... I can not see how she is a good choice as 2nd in command, but good god, look at who is in the chair now ..... hmmmm.....
Old 08-30-2008, 06:57 AM   #56
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
correct me if I am wrong, but was it not Mccain who played adds asking something to the efffect of 'who do you want to answer the phone at 3 AM when there is a problem'... I can not see how she is a good choice as 2nd in command, but good god, look at who is in the chair now ..... hmmmm.....
What makes BHO better suited to answer that call?

Old 08-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #57
Joe

That ad with the phonecall in the night was Hillary Clinton's - it was meant to highlight her experience over Obama's

Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 AM   #58
MAC

Here is something I think a lot of people will relate to. She has been there and can relate to middle class America. Some how I can't see Obama or Biden like this unless the photo were staged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	palin.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	28759  
Old 08-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #59
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

So, I'm not quite the hippy that Eben is, but I agree with Sokinwet as well..

Palin:
Creationist (Seriously?)
believes global warming is a hoax
against a woman's right to choose

That there is far enough for me.
I don't care if she was the supreme ruler of Mars before hand. Leadership experience doesn't make up for the the fact that she is an uber-rightwinger.

Add on.
has been governor for less than two years
no foreign-policy experience

I think McCain had to go way right or towards the center with his pick. He went for the way right.
I'll always say, I like McCain, I respect McCain, I just disagree with his politics way too much to ever support him.

One quote I read on slate.com (I usually don't like 'opinions' from sites like that, bu I still read it, along with the WSJ)
"If Sara Palin is ready to be commander in chief, then so is Barack Obama"

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #60
MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post

One quote I read on slate.com (I usually don't like 'opinions' from sites like that, bu I still read it, along with the WSJ)
"If Sara Palin is ready to be commander in chief, then so is Barack Obama"

LOL, Only problem with this analogy is Palin is in the running for VP, not Pres.