Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
dannyplug1

Not happy with etex

Is there a finish that is thicker and harder than etex? I have used it for years but it dosent stand up to hook rash or fish and rocks to well. Devcon two ton epoxy rod wrapping coat or an automotive coat? Help
dannyplug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
ThrowingTimber
It's about respect baby!

Putting anything super hard. Over wood which is by nature a bit soft and forgiving is going to give you a hard time. Hook rash happens.. They're plugs not fabergé eggs.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ThrowingTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Eric Roach
Big E

I feel your epoxy pain. I've had the least amount of problems applying E-Tex (as far as covering sharp angles, preventing fisheyes & waves, etc), but I agree it wears fast. I've tried some epoxy additives to make it more durable, the one that affected the clarity the least was clear frit, which is the fine glass powder used for blowing glass. It might have made a slight difference, but I shied away from the risks of inhaling fine glass particles...Can't imagine the lungs like that too much.

I've used System 3 Clear Coat just once, and recently -- I was surprised how thin it was, but it definitely dired extremely hard. I did have some fisheye issues, but I don't think I let the acrylic paint fully dry first.

I tried System 3 Mirror Coat last night on a needle. Even though I had some warnings about brittleness I wanted to try it for myself. The surface ended-up an uneven mess, despite doing everything I know to get a nice finish.

It looks like all the common options have pros & cons. If I can't get some the Clear Coat nuances worked out, I'll probably go back to E-Tex.

Out of any plug I've ever used, I think Afterhours has the most durable finish; great top coat process he has there -- awesome quality. I think he mentioned before that this is an industrial coating of some sort.

I also have a spook from Striper Sniper which has held up through a lot of fish over the years -- not sure what he uses/used, but it might actually be a well-cured coat of E-Tex(?) Someone who used to work at Surfland told me that's what he used.

Good luck, please share another viable option if you find one.

Last edited by Eric Roach; 06-20-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Kids.....they are fishing lures after all???? Beat them up, bang them up, hook rash is the highest form of flattery!!!!! No matter what you try to do the only way to make them stay "MINT" forever......is to never fish them!!! All the gouges, rash and dents add character!!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Slipknot
Super Moderator

the only way to slow or stop hookrash is to coat the plug with something as hard as the hooks

not likely to happen though

there is no magic, ya do the best you can, and Don from afterhours does have an awesome finish coat on his stuff.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
basswipe

Once met a guy who coated is plugs in West System.Didn't look good but they were pretty durable!
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Kids.....they are fishing lures after all???? Beat them up, bang them up, hook rash is the highest form of flattery!!!!! No matter what you try to do the only way to make them stay "MINT" forever......is to never fish them!!! All the gouges, rash and dents add character!!!!
Bingo......exactly, way to much over thinking the process here. Have fun making them then bang'em up

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Amen Kev....it ain't brain surgery!

Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Don't use Mirror coat. It is not elastic enough and will crack and peel.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Eric Roach
Big E

Quote:
Amen...it ain't brain surgery!
Not sure anyone sees it that way (though I hear there is a brain surgeon on this site).

It seems to me that asking for input on a better topcoat makes sense to post in a forum like this -- not sure why this gets under your skin.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Not that it gets under my skin but I have yet to see a fishing lure of any kind that does not exhibit the signs of being used as it should be is all.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
stripermaineiac

I first tried flex coat an it held up ok but yellowed bad plus it didn't like some paints. Tried ultra gloss ,less yellowing but needed 2 coats . didn't like gettin beat on rocks.Cracked an pealed. Tried Aftcote an had no yellowing but needed 2 coats and had to handle for a bit an rotatin speed was cutial as it would gravitate to widest part of plug at wrong speed plus to longer to cure. plus it didn't like some metalic paints.holds up ok but fussy to work with. Etex seems to hold up good an is easier to work with. I really watch whats on my hands so as not to contaminate a plug with body oils or sweat.so far it's held up good but not bullet proof. Hook rash is a cost of using a plug but the etex stays bonded to a plug pretty good. Will chip an peal a bit when blues an rocks beat on it but all plugs get that even the hard plastics.Once in a blue moon I have a plug peal bad an thats probably from some stupid mistake I made from bein too tired an still keep coating plugs.so now when tired I go to drinkin beer. That helps keep the winter waist intact LOL. Hope this helps Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Roach View Post
Not sure anyone sees it that way (though I hear there is a brain surgeon on this site).

It seems to me that asking for input on a better topcoat makes sense to post in a forum like this -- not sure why this gets under your skin.
Sorry Eric, didn't mean to come across that way....this is the place to ask those questions.

Myself I use the Devcon 2-ton. Super easy to work with. the only draw back is that you can only do 1 plug at a time.

I'm not making quantity.....so that works fine for me

Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
Eric Roach
Big E

Quote:
Not that it gets under my skin but I have yet to see a fishing lure of any kind that does not exhibit the signs of being used as it should be is all.
I gotcha'.

Some finishes do seem to wear better than others, though. Those Afterhours plugs -- man -- they withstand a beating better than anything I've used.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
Eric Roach
Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Sorry Eric, didn't mean to come across that way....this is the place to ask those questions.

Myself I use the Devcon 2-ton. Super easy to work with. the only draw back is that you can only do 1 plug at a time.

I'm not making quantity.....so that works fine for me
It's all good.

Do you find that the 2-Ton yellows easily?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Not Really...it stays pretty clear....I have plugs I did probably 3 years ago that are still clear

Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
Eric Roach
Big E

Thanks.

I hope some of this helps you, Dannyplug1.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

look at the other products e tex makes, the e tex lite available at craft stores is the thinniest they make and the cheapest.

they have an incredible line of products available to anyone who wants to buy them

one issue is pack size, most only come in gallons.

and the other is the price, if i remember correctly the best one is somewhere between 150-250 for the 2 gallon kit, which is a lot of epoxy.

i found that mixing the etex really well and having good drying temps with low humidity makes the hardest finish.

I like the etex, its readily available, inexpensive and easy to use.

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote