Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
angler229

Skin Plugs

Finally getting something done. Here's a few skin plugs, about the size of a spin atom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th_1263220236_P1100027.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	37629   Click image for larger version

Name:	th_1263220326_P1100030.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	37630  
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Nebe

I'll take a blue one
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
eskimo

I think those are going to treat you well.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Nicely done.
Did you adjust the weighting to compensate for the lack of a rear hook?
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
a4scoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Nicely done.
Wouldn't the eel skin throw the weight and balance off more than the missing hook? Does a "skin" have the same density as wood? Nice plugs Dan!!

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!!
a4scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Slipknot
Super Moderator

lookin good Dan
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
Nicely done.
put a little brass chain on the tail,,, it will give it a little weight....
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

look good D.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
angler229

Quote:
Nicely done.
The weight is just forward of center, so no I didn't move it very much to compensate for the lack of rear hook. I made one last winter as a prototype and with the weight of a skin the plug swam almost level just slightest bit nose down which helped it dig in and hold very well in current. I think if you wanted it to swim completely level the addition of a piece of brass chain would accomplish this. I still have a bit to learn about skin plugs as this was the first year I've used them so I'm still undecided on exactly what I want them to do. But there certainly is alot of fish catching potential in this style plug.
angler229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4scoot View Post
Wouldn't the eel skin throw the weight and balance off more than the missing hook? Does a "skin" have the same density as wood? Nice plugs Dan!!
I never found the skins to weigh enough to effect the action one way or the other.

Nice job on the plugs BTW

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
numbskull

For what it is worth, I usually add a tail weight (or increase the size of the weight already there) when I build a skin plug. It helps with balance, but more importantly I think they tumble less on the cast. I often also use a larger lip than usual to help swing the skin.

The plug usually will only have one belly hook (unless I plan to troll it), fairly far forward (though back enough so the fish clears the lip as it hits) to help cut down tail wraps (which also throws the balance off). I don't use chain or mono on the tail, seems like it would hurt the action and cut down casting distance (they already cast much worse than a normal plug).

I turn the tail section fatter to fill out the skin (and also allow more tail weight). I like to fish them with a tail that is 1/2 to 2/3rds the length of the plug. I have always built them big, though Flap did a job last year using very small (by my standards) skin needles (which he built using a dowel and egg sinker on each end).

I've also done well with skins on slopeheads, and I saw one of Stan Gibbs' tackle boxes once that had a skin on a bottle plug.

Word of caution, however, the two hook BM Gibbs skin needle design fouls horribly (presumably the guys who fished that used mono tail loops).
Old 01-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #12
pbadad

Nice looking skin plugs. I found to compensate for the skin weight, I eliminate the tailweight, use a second belly hook position further back. The BM style swimmer swings nicely in a lazy S pattern. 3" skin tail no mono. Lob cast w/o force keeps the skin wraps down. Good Luck. By the way, skins catch well!!!

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
For what it is worth, I usually add a tail weight (or increase the size of the weight already there) when I build a skin plug. It helps with balance, but more importantly I think they tumble less on the cast. I often also use a larger lip than usual to help swing the skin.

The plug usually will only have one belly hook (unless I plan to troll it), fairly far forward (though back enough so the fish clears the lip as it hits) to help cut down tail wraps (which also throws the balance off). I don't use chain or mono on the tail, seems like it would hurt the action and cut down casting distance (they already cast much worse than a normal plug).

I turn the tail section fatter to fill out the skin (and also allow more tail weight). I like to fish them with a tail that is 1/2 to 2/3rds the length of the plug. I have always built them big, though Flap did a job last year using very small (by my standards) skin needles (which he built using a dowel and egg sinker on each end).

I've also done well with skins on slopeheads, and I saw one of Stan Gibbs' tackle boxes once that had a skin on a bottle plug.

Word of caution, however, the two hook BM Gibbs skin needle design fouls horribly (presumably the guys who fished that used mono tail loops).
George,

Do you have any pics of your eelskin plugs that can be posted here?

Nice work on the skin plugs Dan.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
numbskull

This one (Sauerkraut's Xmas present) shows how I go at it.

I turn a more cylindrical plug than usual (ie less tail shape). Pick a bigger lip (this is a pikie 3 but I've always been impresssed at how well the atom shaped lips swim a skin). Put a BIG hook where I want it, then float it and fool with movable weighting to get it to float where I want. This one is meant for the canal and to get beneath the surface so it will use extra lead to float low (sans skin). On the finished plug, only the tail weight would be through wired. The other weights I just use belly weights of the same gram weight. More often I would use a single belly weight behind the hook and a small tail weight to counteract the thick tail's buoyancy and help cast better.

The other thing to consider is the size of the skins you can get. This plug is meant for medium skins and #^&#^&#^&#^&head wanted one heavier than the one I built him last year (in which I missed the swivel with the through wire and cost him two fish ). On large skins I still use the plastic A40 but had two wires break over the last 2 years so will likely build some protos this year instead.

Likewise, on skin needles I'm still unsure whether I like more tail weight or not. Taking the tail hook off a needle makes it run more level which in turn makes depth control more difficult, but also lets you fish it more slowly. I've built a bunch of skin needles but remain undecided on what works best.

All that said, I don't think there is any such thing as a bad skin plug. The only thing I find that makes them suboptimal is tail fouling or the wrong length tail for the action of the plug (you get a hinge effect instead of a S wave). The swimmers also cast poorly which is why I'm fooling with tail weights (but don't pretend to know if they are the right answer or not).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skinplug.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	37649  
Old 01-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
Back Beach
Respect your elvers

Quote:
On large skins I still use the plastic A40 but had two wires break over the last 2 years so will likely build some protos this year instead.
\.
When you say A40 lip do you mean a lip like what's on the sinker I sent over or the other 40 type with no folds on the outer edge of the lip?

Pretty sure you can rewire old plastic atoms too. A buddy of mine used to heat the wire up, then slide slide it out when the plastic around the wire got soft and insert another wire. Another skill for you to master, no doubt.

It's not the bait
At the end of your line
It's the fishing hole
Where all the fish is blind
Back Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #16
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Beach View Post
When you say A40 lip do you mean a lip like what's on the sinker I sent over or the other 40 type with no folds on the outer edge of the lip?

Pretty sure you can rewire old plastic atoms too. A buddy of mine used to heat the wire up, then slide slide it out when the plastic around the wire got soft and insert another wire. Another skill for you to master, no doubt.
I don't think it matters with a skin. The styrofoam Atom Jr makes a great skin plug with a flat lip. The usual reason to tweak the sides of the lip is to narrow it a bit and reduce roll (I think).
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #17
fumifish

Quote:
This one (Sauerkraut's Xmas present) shows how I go at it.

I turn a more cylindrical plug than usual (ie less tail shape). Pick a bigger lip (this is a pikie 3 but I've always been impresssed at how well the atom shaped lips swim a skin). Put a BIG hook where I want it, then float it and fool with movable weighting to get it to float where I want. This one is meant for the canal and to get beneath the surface so it will use extra lead to float low (sans skin). On the finished plug, only the tail weight would be through wired. The other weights I just use belly weights of the same gram weight. More often I would use a single belly weight behind the hook and a small tail weight to counteract the thick tail's buoyancy and help cast better.

The other thing to consider is the size of the skins you can get. This plug is meant for medium skins and #^&#^&#^&#^&head wanted one heavier than the one I built him last year (in which I missed the swivel with the through wire and cost him two fish ). On large skins I still use the plastic A40 but had two wires break over the last 2 years so will likely build some protos this year instead.

Likewise, on skin needles I'm still unsure whether I like more tail weight or not. Taking the tail hook off a needle makes it run more level which in turn makes depth control more difficult, but also lets you fish it more slowly. I've built a bunch of skin needles but remain undecided on what works best.

All that said, I don't think there is any such thing as a bad skin plug. The only thing I find that makes them suboptimal is tail fouling or the wrong length tail for the action of the plug (you get a hinge effect instead of a S wave). The swimmers also cast poorly which is why I'm fooling with tail weights (but don't pretend to know if they are the right answer or not).
amazing numbskull..

always something to learn........
fumifish is offline   Reply With Quote