Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

What Plugfest is all about

Well folks, once again we are getting ready for plugfest.
For those who don't know about it, Plugfest goes back more than 10 years. It began as a simple gathering in my home workshop where we had about 18-20 guys including JHabs, and Tattoo who brought a few plug building supplies along with their knowledge to share. We had 3 or 4 lathes going, we had Got Stripers out back pouring Ledgerunner rubba, we had Saltheart tying tailhooks, we had Smokey and Saltheart pouring lead jigs outside. It was quite the day
The next year got bigger so less building going on but still a lot was learned, I think capesams brought a bunch of rod blanks he was getting rid of cheap. The following year year it was clear we had to move to a bigger place so we had it at the Mitchel club where it was for about 3-4 years. Canalman and salty began a contest one year, I also had a smaller gathering at my shop in january where mr.pogie demonstrated how to make a bottle swimmer. It kept on growing from there each year and we had it at different places - Carver, then the last 2 years in Buzzards Bay.
For those who don't know about plugfest, I will explain a little bit. I will also remind others of how things go, so forgive the long post please.
Plugfest is a gathering of obsessed fishermen who craft,modify, or repaint their fishing lures. we get together every winter and trade plugs,share ideas and methods and eat food, usually the eats are as good as the plugs so maybe we can step it up a bit and catch up this year with some great food. We also have some sort of building contest. We also usually have a raffle of some sort where guys can donate plugs etc. to raise money for JohnR for the site or some worthy cause.

It costs about 10 bucks to get in,kids and seniors are free and you'll get a ballot for voting and an entrance ticket for a door prize and a nametag which we would like you to put on please, it helps a lot. We try to raise enough money to cover the hall expenses and winners certificates, etc.

Hopefully we will have some demonstrations going on also if we get any offers, if we don't I will have to bore you all with something. The last few years Joe aka Rockfish9 has brought some killer displays of each step involved in making certain plugs.
If anyone wants to offer to do any demonstrations, please feel free. We can begin another thread about that.
Plugfest is NOT a place to come and sell plugs or buy them, so if that is your intention, please stay home. If you only come to try to ho plugs from guys for nothing, well, you better bring something to trade or forget about it, nobody should be pressured into giving away a work of art which is what these plugs pretty much are. If guys want to hand out plugs that is up to them, if they do it would be nice to give feedback on how you do with it. It's about commraderie and learning and is supposed to be fun.

Usually a sponsor comes and sells plug building materials, so that stuff should be available too.

This year quite a few of us will make contest plugs like I mentioned. I am not sure if you guys want to include the usual stuff or not, like best of show, classic plug reproduction. We can have a category for fishable plugs and another category for novelty or whatever. We can discuss this more.

If we all watch out for each others stuff, there should be no problems of anything mysteriously disappearing. Anyone caught pocketing anything will be promptly tossed in the canal for a swim. I'd like to feel comfortable stepping away from my display and not have to worry about it.

This year we hope to hold it again at the Wareham Elks club. We can start around 8:00 and be out of there by 3 or so.
This place is the largest place we have had it to date, there will be plenty of room for everyone to have a table to display stuff and trade and talk about plugs all day. The past couple years the hall opened the kitchen to sell lunch which worked out great for us to not have to deal so much with preparing food to put out. We can still bring some dishes of food and drink, but this gives us an option since some years not so many have participated in bringing food. It works out better this way. And this hall is plenty big enough.

So get your creative juices flowing and knock out some great plugs and do the best you can. With all the knowledge on this site I'm sure they'll catch fish just fine.
Newcomers are welcome also. There will be something for everyone.
See you all there,
thanks

Bruce

This year the date to be determined

Last edited by Slipknot; 12-19-2013 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: edit dates because thread was bumped

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Clammer

Thumbs up

Nice, informative past , Slip

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
N.ShoreFisher
Annisquam Assassin

I cant wait!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
N.ShoreFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
iamskippy

What the hell how did i miss the food?
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamskippy View Post
What the hell how did i miss the food?
Dunno, I don't
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
djlesco

Can i still get in on this?
djlesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlesco View Post
Can i still get in on this?
Yes. Plenty of info about it.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
Rockfish9

I'll have most of the displays i had last year.. as well as the jigs and fixtures i had on display.. and if there is interest... I'll do the e-tex demo i did last year once again...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Fishoholic

Nice post Slip. This will be my 3rd and I'm really looking forward to it.
Fishoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

bruce you want ayc ?

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Why don't you come Dave. Be nice to catch up.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
pbadad

Nice post Bruce. The CSA crew will be coming. Is anyone going to bring wood? AYC.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
bassmaster
Dave's Guide Service

if i dont forget and i will

Pro Tool Club....
bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Dave, do show up.....
nightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Rockfish9

Adding a new display this year

I made a "mock " lathe seeing mine is bolted to a bench to mount my duplicator on so I can demonstrate how I make plexi or lexan templates from a turned master... just another wrinkle to my pile of "stuff" I lug there each year... for those that dont know.. this event is the high light of the winter..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Slipknot
Super Moderator

should we start setting a date for 2014?

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Yes
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Raven

Unhappy

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
steve1874

If i'm just interested in learning about this can I come? I'm not looking to whore plugs
steve1874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
Slipknot
Super Moderator

yes absolutely you can come, that is also what it is for