Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
Tattoo

Montauk Project

During the visit this year, Kadir and Danno showed us around Camp Hero. Just did some research for a few hours on the whole thing.....

WOW!

Photos from the Acid House were indeed "trippy"

Anyone have any weird experiences related to fishing Montauk?
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
cheferson

Hippy commune?
cheferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 02:15 PM   #3
MakoMike

Tatoo,
I grew up visiting camp hero regularly, My Dad was partly in charge of the base. All of those stories you read o the net about the "montauk Project" are IMHO a bunch of crap. Of course it is entirely possible that I didn't see everything, but I spent a lot of time above and below ground out there and never saw anything even vaguely suspicious.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Tattoo

Mike,

You may be right, but there is an awful lot of strange stuff that went on there, and still does.

Didnt they close the whole point down a year or two ago at night because of mosquitoes? Funny, mosquitoes are not nocturnal as far as I know. I did do some work for the company American BioPhysiscs which now manufactures those propane traps you put in your yard.

I'm not sure I believe everything I read, but something sure is strange over there.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:47 PM   #5
Tattoo

Chef,

A bit more than a Hippie Commune for sure.

Here's a link for some pictures. Very interesting reading if you go back to the main page of this site.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/7971/pic3.html
Old 12-23-2004, 02:57 PM   #6
Diamond Tackle

The only thing that will jump out and scare you at montauk is deer in the middle of the night. It will happen when u least expect it too.
Thats a sure thing.
And YES, they do go down the cliffs to get a little salt at the beach. All those other stories are a crock of *** , probably made up by very clever locals attempting to keep all the good NIGHT fishing to themselves. u really cant blame them for that..
Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
MakoMike

Tatoo,
Yes they closed the whole point to night fishing, I think it was two years ago, because of mosquiots carrying the west nile virus. They closed it from something like 6pm to 8AM to avoid the dawn and dusk periods when the bugs are most active.

I've spent an inordinate amount of time both on the beach and in the woods since the early 50s up until I moved to RI three years ago. SSure it can get "creepy" feeling at times. What place can't if you're all alone and start thinking creept thoughts. You want real spooky climb the inside of the old radar tower today. There is not a hint of light in there and when you about half way up start telling yourself ghost stories BTW- there are lots of other WW2 fortifications in Montauk, but you have to know where to look for them, they aren't obvious from the main roads. In fact one of the surf spots near town is called "bunkers" not for the fish, but for the gun emplacements that are just off the beach on top of the bluffs.

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 12-23-2004, 07:57 PM   #8
Nebe

thats some crazy stuff.. on a side note, that radar tower can be seen from south county and BI... until now I had no idea what it was
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
fishweewee

Send a message via AIM to fishweewee
Lightbulb

Kinda the same creepy chit vibes u get at the end of Naps (thx Krispy for freaking me out with those stories).

When I think of Camp Hero, I flashback to this crazy-ass '70's horror flick. I forgot the name, but remember the one with the German u-boat zombies walking around on the bottom of the ocean?
fishweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
Goose

Hey scare-dee cat, how was your vist to Montauk, fishin wise? I don't remember a thread on it. I was considering doin a trip last year but rumors of big crowds drop me away.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
Mr. Sandman

Thats funny, as a kid in the 60s and 70s i spent quite a bit of time out there and never even gave it a second thought. They have bunkers like that all over the place. Fisher's has a load of them all overgrown with poison ivy now.
To be honest I spent most of my time then on a boat and never really explored all the nooks and crannys of montauk.
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #12
theSURF121

This guy didn't wear his Korkers on a few too many trips...Montauk Project
Watch out for those reptilians!

M.S.A. #422
L.I.B.B.A. #422
theSURF121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:28 AM   #13
Krispy

Mansfield Fort (Napatree) Link
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:31 AM   #14
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
Now there is 30 mins of my life I am never getting back
Seriously, in the past I am sure there might have been some sketchy chit goin on but..In Hingham you can go into old bases as well and they are riddled with bunkers and stuffs that make you scratch your head and wonder. I spent half my teenage years kickin around in those places. There were all sorts of "satanistic worshiping" and rituals supossedly taking place out there. Mostly it is just these kids from rich a$$ familys living on Main St and HIN stickers in their back windows of their H2's...It just all sounds like a bunch of bunk...I can't believe I used the word "bunk" I gotta be gettin old, dammit

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:41 AM   #15
zacs
D'oh

I saw that hurricane of '38 special on PBS the other day (new years eve maybe?). All I could do was just sit there with my jaw dropping. There apparently used to be 100+ homes and a road and all that on nappatree stretching all the way to the point. They have good footage of the before and after. After the storm it was completely gone, similar to what it looks like today.
Crazy. Over all that is a real good doccumentary. You should all watch it the next time it airs.
_Z_

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #16
partsjay
Let's Rock!

I used to hang out with some kids from Long Island. And they swore that there was all kinds of weird stuff going on. There is a Lab out there that my buddies father worked at, would never talk about his work though. They talked about seeing " white firetrucks " coming out of the lab and going to be the beach, that they had closed. I love that history stuff though....love to see the old military placements....if anyone has any other cool links to that stuff...post them or PM me please....thanks, Jay
partsjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #17
Bronko

ZACS

Zacs, I saw that special on the hurricane of 38'. That was unreal. Until now I had only read about it. That show was well done. That was quite a storm.
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:01 PM   #18
MakoMike

Partsjay.
Do you mean the animal lab on Plum Island? If so that's no where near Montauk.

****MakoMike****

Official S-B Sponsor
Old 01-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #19
partsjay
Let's Rock!

I'm not sure what the name of the lab is, but I dont think it was that...They lived in Shirley, if that helps at all....I cannot remember what the name of the lab is....I'm going to call them in the next couple of days to find out.
partsjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:29 PM   #20
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Re: ZACS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronko
Zacs, I saw that special on the hurricane of 38'. That was unreal. Until now I had only read about it. That show was well done. That was quite a storm.
Yup---and here's the real scary part--it was "only" a Category 3 storm, and shoreline development in these parts was nowhere near as extensive as it is now.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:14 PM   #21
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Some debate rages about the 1938 being a strong 3 or a weak 4...

As far as only a 3, we are fortunate in some regards, because of the (relatively) shallow shelf as you come into Block Island Sound and offshore of that, the water isnt really Warm or deep enough to "feed" a Cat 5 Hurricane... picture our inner shelf vs. The Bahamas Bank area as far as depth and Temp...

But.. Mike is right, shoreline development has gone nuts since the 50's, and most of them have never seen a hurricane that struck directly (ie. passed to the west so we had the strong side in So Co..) Working as a coastal geologist who is on the SoCo beaches weekly I can tell you that the average homeowner has little trust or belief in what we have to say... All I can say is you should never find a knowledgable coastal geologist living on the barrier

As far as rebuilding after a storm, the regs say not if your lot becomes unbuildable if it is more than 50% destroyed... but as we saw in S.C. after Hugo in 1989, people rebuild bigger, higher (more stores) and closer than before

Ok, end ranting transmisson...
B

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #22
walking through

Last edited by JohnR; 02-01-2011 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Dragging out a 6 year old thread for an attack is beyond unnecessary. Don't really care why.
walking through is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #23
Nebe

well that is uncomfortable...
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #24
likwid
lobster = striper bait

Send a message via AIM to likwid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
well that is uncomfortable...

Ski Quicks Hole
likwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #25
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Dragging out a 6 year old thread for an attack is beyond unnecessary. Don't really care why.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote