Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 07-08-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
hulkyj61
The one that got away

Adopting a Dog

Hey guys,
I'm starting to settle down in life a bit and I have been pondering getting a dog. I want a breed that it loyal, medium-large, not overly energetic but not lazy, likes to play but also will be calm. I am adopting, so what kind of pup do you guys suggest getting?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
hulkyj61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
5/0
Eels

My Family & I adopted a pooch from the MSPCA we (wife)got the dog we wanted a nice temper ect...The thing was before we cashed out $100 + twe aked all the questions about health and age well they do a pretty through 120 point safety chech on all of them.
They told us she was 4-6 years old,well when we took her the groomers then to the vet,the Vet pulled out like 10 theeth and told us she was more like 12-14 yrs.

Live bait sharp hooks and timing is all you need
5/0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

RESCUE LEAGUES

Each breed just about has a rescue league. If your willing to wait for availabilty you could google them. I know golden retrievers have one, great danes, and so on. You'll get the truth for them about the dogs you adopt.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Clammer

GOLDERN ><><<

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
Raven

Arrow

that question is dependent upon your location

whether you live in the country or the city

and what is the dog's job is going to be?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Redsoxticket

my best friend, Willow. choc lab
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG011.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	28178  
Redsoxticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Flaptail

Thumbs down

I love my dog, she was a pound puppy but it was my first and last dog. Love them but they are like having a kid and ruined my yard, bath once a week and she still smells and the occasional house accident is a pain in the ass even brushed aily she sheds hair everywhere. She could not be replaced anyway but it's way to much responsibilty if you like to just take off now and then. Sticking with cats, much easier and cleaner.

When she goes my wife already knows, no more dogs. I had one , she was great, but no more thanks anyway.

Why even try.........
Flaptail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
striperman36
Old Guy

Do your homework, decide the type of dog that suits your lifestyle.
It took us 2 years to find the sheperd we have, thru the gsrne.
Even after we had him in the house we went thru Stage 4 Heartworm, successfully, and several thousand dollars in treatment. Be careful adopting, without having a full checkout of the animal, by a vet you know and trust. Rescue Leagues normally get animals that have had a bad experience and require more attention than other dogs for that reason. Our Sheperd, still has personality traits, 4+ years, that are a result of previous abuse or neglect.

Also find a vet you like, vets are very different. we have a practice that we bring our animals to for over 20 years, owned by 2 different vets but of similar disposition.

Dogs, most pets, become part of the family and you should be prepared to invest as much time, affection, at times frustration and finances as you would with a young child.

Given all that, I wouldn't trade our life with the 2 dogs, and cat for any other.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
Duke41
got gas?

If you have a good size yard get a lab, if not a Sheltie is a great house pooch. I have had both. They are both awesome dogs.
Duke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
Do your homework, decide the type of dog that suits your lifestyle.
It took us 2 years to find the sheperd we have, thru the gsrne.
Even after we had him in the house we went thru Stage 4 Heartworm, successfully, and several thousand dollars in treatment. Be careful adopting, without having a full checkout of the animal, by a vet you know and trust. Rescue Leagues normally get animals that have had a bad experience and require more attention than other dogs for that reason. Our Sheperd, still has personality traits, 4+ years, that are a result of previous abuse or neglect.

Also find a vet you like, vets are very different. we have a practice that we bring our animals to for over 20 years, owned by 2 different vets but of similar disposition.

Dogs, most pets, become part of the family and you should be prepared to invest as much time, affection, at times frustration and finances as you would with a young child.

Given all that, I wouldn't trade our life with the 2 dogs, and cat for any other.
All great advice.

If you can take the shedding, a lab or golden seems like a good fit as long as you're prepared to do the basic training.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
Bass Babe
Registered LUser

Sounds like besides the size, you're all about personality. I would suggest forgetting about a certain breed for now, and going to a shelter that will match you with the appropriate dog for your lifestyle. You wouldn't want to go and look only at golden retrievers when the furry love of your life could be a small terrier or some kind of mammoth wolfhound creature. You never know. It's like saying you'll only date redheads. It narrows the playing field too much.

Some shelter animals do have behavioral problems, but animals are being given up more frequently now because of financial difficulties and not a lack of love. You could be the home someone was wishing they could just afford to provide for their pet.

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working. ...Wait a minute, my work IS fishing. Sweet.
Bass Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:25 AM   #12
Andy D
Just Keep On Pluggin !

Labrador Retriever . They are smart and train easily and are great with kids. Both of mine were gotten from a breeder. If your serious about a dog it might be worth looking into. Just my 2cents .
Good luck in your search.
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
teaser
Wave Jumper

Shouldn't matter what breed the dog is if you truly want one, just go to the local pound and get the one that catches you're eye and gives you that special feeling inside.

They all need good homes and like people they all come with a history, good and bad. I have 2 Rotties that think their cats and are as tame as cats, just ask Raven. So size shouldn't be too much of an issue unless you don't have alot of room for them to stretch out.

Whatever dog you choose just make sure you have a good vet lined up to get them checked out now and in the future, and like posted before make sure you have the time to devote to one because they are like kids and once you reach out emotionally to him or her they really do become part of the family just like kids.

Also think of the expense of having a dog before you make the commitment of a dog, when they get sick it'll cost you as much as it would a person. Fortunately we have insurance to cover us and now they do too so look into pet insurance, it should run you about $375.00 a year for the best plan but they have to be checked out by a vet first to make sure there isn't any previous conditions that they won't cover.

Somewhere a dog will be blessing you for adopting him or her and giving them another shot at a good life and I take my hat off to you for doing so!

Good luck and keep us posted on you're choice.

Insanity is a long and winding road ... I think I finally made it there.
teaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #14
Slick Moedee

My wife and I just adopted/rescued a brittany spaniel, the breed is know for being high energy on the verge of spastic, but ours seems to be contect with a decent walk twice a day. Whittle your choices down based on what you read/hear from folks as the general breed traits are just a rule of thumb. Plus you'll know which is the right one when you meet him/her.
Slick Moedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
fishaholic18
Finally

You can't go wrong with a Lab.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #16
hulkyj61
The one that got away

Found a yellow lab in Portland Maine from a guy whos dog just had a litter. He is 91 years old and cannot take care of that many dogs. It is the last one to go from the litter of 7 I am picking him up today, I still have not thought of a name though. Rosco keeps coming back to me but who knows.

Thanks everyone who gave me advice!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
hulkyj61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
mekcotuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkyj61 View Post
Found a yellow lab in Portland Maine from a guy whos dog just had a litter. He is 91 years old and cannot take care of that many dogs. It is the last one to go from the litter of 7 I am picking him up today, I still have not thought of a name though. Rosco keeps coming back to me but who knows.

Maybe you could nab the mom dog and get her spayed before the 91 year old who cannot take care of dogs lets her have another litter??

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
mekcotuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
Raven

your dog "has to" retrieve

so if your not a duck hunter or pheasant shooter

at least train him to fetch a tennis ball !!!

because when holding it and making eye contact

with your dog.... it becomes easier to train him

to do what ever else....you want to teach him
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #19
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Labs are great dogs, especially if you have kids.
But I couldn't deal with the hair!
I've owned boxers for long time.
Best dogs I've ever seen with kids !
No hair shedding !

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 AM   #20
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkyj61 View Post

Best of luck with your new buddy!

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #21
smokefish

This is life with a Lab. Twice a day every day we have to run the Swiffer across the floor or we'll be swimming in doghair. Other than that they are great dogs but definitely need a job like others have said. Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doghair.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	28211  
smokefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #22
Slammer223

Read up on Vizslas.We love ours.Could be TOO energetic for you though.What a personality,and beautiful,and CLEAN.Need a job and exercise,don't let them get bored or you are in deep doo doo.
Slammer223 is offline   Reply With Quote