Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Cool Beans

Ahmadinejad wins the election in Iran

It never mattered what the turn-out was, or how the people voted, when the Mula's (not sure on spelling) supported Ahmadinejad. I memtioned this in another post on how Obama could respond to him calling him out for a face to face meeting. Several here told me that he was about to get voted out and he was irrelevant. I never doubted the fact that the Ayatollah would declare him the winner no matter the vote.

Quote:
Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, in a message on state TV, urged the nation to unite behind Ahmadinejad, calling the result a "divine assessment."
Things won't be getting any better in that region and reading the news this morning North Korea is upping the game a bit, saying they will use their plutonium and uranium for weapons production and will use them against the US if we insist on enforcing the UN sanctions by boarding their ships.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
spence

It doesn't make a lot of sense that an incumbent President in a terrible economy would win a landslide against a popular reformer with a large voter turnout.

Obama's message has been pretty good on these policy issues and will put more pressure on Arab and Persian governments to respond to their people.

Note that Lebanon did recently go towards a pro-US government which was a very positive sign.

Iran has a pretty large and well educated segment of the population that doesn't back the extremist members in the government. It's only a matter of time before Iran sees another revolution to bring the nation back into the mainstream.

Bush royally f'ed up the Iranian situation with the "Axis of Evil" rhetoric and Iraq policy. Obama isn't going to be able to magically fix it, but so far I think he's projecting the right message to the Middle East.

The proof will ultimately be in the putting.

-spence
Old 06-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Iran has a pretty large and well educated segment of the population that doesn't back the extremist members in the government. It's only a matter of time before Iran sees another revolution to bring the nation back into the mainstream.

-spence

People have been saying that since 1979.

As long as the mullahs control the military, nothing will change.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
The proof will ultimately be in the putting.

-spence
No kidding - I lived my entire life thinking the expression is " the proof is in the pudding" !

Serioulsy, it never made any sense! Spence has finally enlightened me! Thanks Bud

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 06-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
No kidding - I lived my entire life thinking the expression is " the proof is in the pudding" !

Serioulsy, it never made any sense! Spence has finally enlightened me! Thanks Bud
nooo, Spence is referring to a famous Arnold Palmer quote " the proofs in the putting" .... Jimmy, you are thinking of Julia Child's famous old saying ...."the proofs in the pudding"...kinda the same thing though
Old 06-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

wait a minute......I was actually believeing spence for a minute and came across this

http://ask.yahoo.com/20020903.html

more liberal trickery!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
fishbones

It's the second time he's spelled it that way in different threads the last couple of days. I was going to call him out on it, but he's been testy lately with all of his snide remarks and insults, so I left it alone. At first, I thought it must have been some new liberal phrase that Spence was trying out. Then I realized that although he's the smartest person in here, without spellcheck even he can make mistakes.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 06-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
spence

Pudding is the literary usage, but putting still makes fine technical sense.

-spence
Old 06-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

do we need an English forum?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
fishbones

Spence is just pudding us on.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 06-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #11
spence

The other alternative is to actually talk about the pretty incredible things going on in Iran today...

I'm thinking the election was a complete sham and this official inquiry could just be another sham to quell the Green Revolution.

-spence
Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
fishbones

Quote:
The other alternative is to actually talk about the pretty incredible things going on in Iran today...

I'm thinking the election was a complete sham and this official inquiry could just be another sham to quell the Green Revolution.

-spence
It makes you realize how lucky we are to live where we do. I suppose that Iranians only know their own political system, so they have to live with it for now. But with the world becoming smaller, they're exposed more to the democratic process and see how the rest of the world lives. This more than likely will lead to questioning of the government there and more uprisings.

And just to point something else out, Spence. The phrase "other alternative" without first giving an alternative, makes no sense.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
And just to point something else out, Spence. The phrase "other alternative" without first giving an alternative, makes no sense.
The first alternative was to deviate from the original post, the second alternative being to return rather than continue to follow course.

Hence the need for other.

-spence
Old 06-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
fishbones

Quote:
The first alternative was to deviate from the original post, the second alternative being to return rather than continue to follow course.

Hence the need for other.

-spence
Goodness, gracious! Now we have to be able to read your mind to interpret your posts? There's no mention of deviating from the original post in any of your (or anyone else's) earlier posts. You're funny.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
Goodness, gracious! Now we have to be able to read your mind to interpret your posts? There's no mention of deviating from the original post in any of your (or anyone else's) earlier posts. You're funny.
No, you just have to read the post. It's all there...

-spence
Old 06-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
Raven

the revolution will not be televised

it's a black out

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...74874#31374874

Last edited by Raven; 06-15-2009 at 04:40 PM..