Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 07-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

WOAH

Drudge has a report that Borders is shutting down ALL it's stores.

That's gonna leave a mark in the morning......
Old 07-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Why is this in the Political Forum?
Or is it just 7 degrees of Obama sucks?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 07-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
spence

Innovate or die. Remember that company Blockbuster who had rental stores all over town?

-spence
Old 07-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Raven

adios... i liked their stores
Old 07-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

BECAUSE THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE is going to increase by another 11,000 workers which your PRESIDENT is so valiantly spending his time arguing about when his next golf tee time is or is counting down to his next vacation while this is happening.

Because the stock market had a rough day today and is going to be even worse tomorrow with this news.

And yes because O'Bama just plain out sucks.

So far I've seen NOTHING out of him for progress in changing this economic environment we're in right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Why is this in the Political Forum?
Or is it just 7 degrees of Obama sucks?
Old 07-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
BECAUSE THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE is going to increase by another 11,000 workers which your PRESIDENT is so valiantly spending his time arguing about when his next golf tee time is or is counting down to his next vacation while this is happening.
From what I've read Obama works pretty much 24 hours a day, makes his aids work nights etc...I'm not sure if he works so hard to get ahead so he can get a round in...or perhaps it's the mountain of crap his presidency has had to deal with.

Quote:
Because the stock market had a rough day today and is going to be even worse tomorrow with this news.
Perhaps if the GOP would quit playing games and actually work to negotiate a solution the market wouldn't be having a rough patch. The political grandstanding makes for good TV, but you can't have a real solution with no compromise.

Quote:
And yes because O'Bama just plain out sucks.
So you think he is Irish?

Quote:
So far I've seen NOTHING out of him for progress in changing this economic environment we're in right now.
The current economic malaise isn't a product of "Obama", it's a product of decades of mismanagement that's left us challenged to deal with massive global changes.

Remember back in 2008/2009 and many were predicting we would be in a full on depression right now...

As bad as things are the DOW is still above 12,000.

Borders is suffering because they didn't have a solid business model going into a very severe recession. Not because of Obama.

-spence
Old 07-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
JohnnyD

That's what happens when you send out 30% off any item coupons every month. I remember getting a $300 textbook with a 40% off coupon once.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
striperman36
Old Guy

I read the same thing other sources, they have no choice but to completely liquidate and lay off 11,000 employees by end of Sept.

Big empty spot in Mansfield Crossing.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
It is called eCommerce! Download your books (and movies) on-line.

Polaroid got blindsided by digital photography???

Last edited by PRBuzz; 07-18-2011 at 06:54 PM..

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

Yeah, I still am waiting for the disruption in the price
Old 07-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Polaroid got blindsided by digital photography???
Blindsided? Try destroyed...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
From what I've read Obama works pretty much 24 hours a day, makes his aids work nights etc...I'm not sure if he works so hard to get ahead so he can get a round in...or perhaps it's the mountain of crap his presidency has had to deal with.

Perhaps if the GOP would quit playing games and actually work to negotiate a solution the market wouldn't be having a rough patch. The political grandstanding makes for good TV, but you can't have a real solution with no compromise.

The current economic malaise isn't a product of "Obama", it's a product of decades of mismanagement that's left us challenged to deal with massive global changes.

Remember back in 2008/2009 and many were predicting we would be in a full on depression right now...

Borders is suffering because they didn't have a solid business model going into a very severe recession. Not because of Obama.

-spence
"Obama works pretty much 24 hours a day".....haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...the laziest, most incompetent and juvenile president in American history works REALLY, REALLY hard.....
Old 07-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #13
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

"Remember back in 2008/2009 and many were predicting we would be in a full on depression right now..."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Your kidding me! Spence keep drinking the Irish coolaid.

This country is 2 weeks away from total full on out depression.

NO-ONE is spending money. NOT ONE single NOT ONE small business owner I've spoken with over the last 3-4 months has good things to say right now. People I respect. People who spend as much time trying to succeed as I do. Varied businesses too.

Don't guzzle. You might choke. Pretty soon all those nice Armani and Brooks Bros suits will be good for one thing.....wiping the floor in the soup kitchen

Quote:

-spence
Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:

-spence
you should read RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT...

Gretchen Morgenson, a Pulitzer Prize-winning business reporter and columnist at The New York Times, and Joshua Rosner, an expert on housing finance, deftly trace the beginnings of the collapse to the mid-1990s, when the Clinton administration called for a partnership between the private sector and Fannie and Freddie to encourage home buying.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

There is a Borders in my town and I go there once a month. I usually walk around for 10 mins trying to find someone to help me, they're usually clueless, and they dont have what I want.
I can order any book, read reviews, and get it in a few days with 5 mins worth of effort from my desk. There is no competition with the internet.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 07-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #16
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Why don't you just blame The Kindle.....Seriously

Book Stores are going to go the way of Video Stores....it has nothing to do with Politics....it has more to do with the Digital Age

Paper is soooooo 20th Century

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

Book Stores are going to go the way of Video Stores....it has nothing to do with Politics....it has more to do with the Digital Age

Paper is soooooo 20th Century
yup

Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Obama invented the Kindle?

-spence
Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #19
fishbones

I enjoy reading books much more than looking at a Kindle.

Which reminds me. Spence, where's that Four Fishes you were supposed to send? I'm on vaca in a couple of weeks and will need something to read while I tan myself on the beach and drink heavily.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #20
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post

Which reminds me. Spence, where's that Four Fishes you were supposed to send? I'm on vaca in a couple of weeks and will need something to read while I tan myself on the beach and drink heavily.
You said take your time

It's in a stack of stuff to go to the post office. I've been mad busy.

-spence
Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #21
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

And I bet alot of other people feel this way too otherwise the place wouldn't have been in business. I won't buy a kindle. I dislike reading the small screen on the iphone already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post

Old 07-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #22
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
And I bet alot of other people feel this way too otherwise the place wouldn't have been in business. I won't buy a kindle. I dislike reading the small screen on the iphone already.
take a walk on a train or airplane. Kindles and ipads outnumber books 5 to 1.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #23
Raven

just thinking that soon we'll have to pay extra to have a book printed
and it'll be double what it costs to recieve it digitally.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
just thinking that soon we'll have to pay extra to have a book printed
and it'll be double what it costs to recieve it digitally.
Paper costs money. Electrons are practically free.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #25
FishermanTim

Remember that at some point we will be thrust back into the dark ages, where demand will overtake supply, where arrogance will replace ignorance, an we will be starting from scratch again.

When that time comes, I hope everyone has some way of charging their kindles, Ipads, computers and phones using a stationary bicycle and a generator.

When that time comes, if I am fortunate enough to still be here, I will be one of the guys with books. Books that explain how stuff works and how to make stuff and fix stuff!

You can have all the technology you want, but when the power goes out, so does the technology. Then where will you be???
Old 07-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #26
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
Remember that at some point we will be thrust back into the dark ages, where demand will overtake supply, where arrogance will replace ignorance, an we will be starting from scratch again.

When that time comes, I hope everyone has some way of charging their kindles, Ipads, computers and phones using a stationary bicycle and a generator.

When that time comes, if I am fortunate enough to still be here, I will be one of the guys with books. Books that explain how stuff works and how to make stuff and fix stuff!

You can have all the technology you want, but when the power goes out, so does the technology. Then where will you be???
I'll be looting like crazy.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #27
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
You said take your time

It's in a stack of stuff to go to the post office. I've been mad busy.

-spence
I'll stop by pick it up, read it and then give it to Fishbones.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #28
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
I'll stop by pick it up, read it and then give it to Fishbones.
Works for me! Are you a fast reader, Bill?

Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #29
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Would any of the 20 somethings care to chime in about the kindles....instead of a bunch of AARP Draft Prospects.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 07-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #30
mosholu
Mosholu

The thing about downloading books is that once you are done you can not share them with anyone because they are stuck on your device (as I understand it). One of the great things about books is passing them on to your friends and family.
As far as borders goes the one that is in Manhattan near me has shut down. What I always felt was their problem was that nobody was in there to buy stuff everybody was having coffee and reading the
magazines. While I would have liked to give them some business a lot of times I did not because all the magazine had been pawed over.