Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 12-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
Jim in CT

November jobs report crushed expectations

Unemployment down to 3.5%.

Just sayin’...this is one part of the conversation.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
scottw

Pelosi is going to hate that..
Old 12-06-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
PaulS

Funny when Obama turned the economy around from the depths Bush left us there wasn't monthly threads started about it. If someone posts how Obama's stats are similar or better than Trumps v the economy you will complain about it.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Funny when Obama turned the economy around from the depths Bush left us there wasn't monthly threads started about it. If someone posts how Obama's stats are similar or better than Trumps v the economy you will complain about it.
bitter clinger
Old 12-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
PaulS

snarky one
Old 12-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post

Pelosi is going to hate that..
Didn't you hear her? She's Catholic, she doesn't hate anyone or anything, her Catholicism forbids it. Her Catholicism also forbids her to be rabidly pro-abortion, I guess no one told her that...
Old 12-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
Jim in CT

Quote:
I gave him credit all the time, although Obama's recovery was the slowest of all time, and he didn't lower my taxes. But the economy was a lot better when he left that what he inherited.

The 2008 crash wasn't Bush's fault, come on. He did very little to contribute to subprime mortgages. I mean, if you blame Bush for that, then you are saying a President owns the economic results during his term, and using that logic you have to give Trump an A. So which is it?
Old 12-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
wdmso

yes its good but big picture it was boosted by the return to work of 48,000 auto workers following a 40-day strike
Old 12-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
Sea Dangles

He won’t figure this out for days.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Speaking of ass kicking, the national debt is at a record $23,089,914,098,997 as Floridaman put $3.1 trillion on the taxpayers’ credit card to buy a sugar-high economy, and while unemployment numbers sound good, the poverty rate in NC is 15-20% in many counties.

And just so we're clear on the math, $3.1 trillion is enough money to create 4,428,800 jobs for 10 years.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #11
Jim in CT

From CNBC of all places...

"The end of the GM strike helped inflate the number, with 41,300 jobs added in motor vehicles and parts, but the overall gain in payrolls was still about 100,000 better than expected by many economists. Manufacturing gained 54,000 overall"
Old 12-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #12
scottw

winning!!!
Old 12-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Speaking of ass kicking, the national debt is at a record $23,089,914,098,997 as Floridaman put $3.1 trillion on the taxpayers’ credit card to buy a sugar-high economy, and while unemployment numbers sound good, the poverty rate in NC is 15-20% in many counties.

And just so we're clear on the math, $3.1 trillion is enough money to create 4,428,800 jobs for 10 years.
you reflexively, instinctively cannot allow good news to stand.

'the poverty rate in NC is 15-20% in many counties.'

Curious why you picked NC. The capital city of uber-liberal Connecticut, one of the wealthiest states in the nation, and a city run by liberals for 75 years, is above 30%. So very curious why you picked NC...
Old 12-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
winning!!!
Big time. Hence the gibberish response.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Curious why you picked NC. The capital city of uber-liberal Connecticut, one of the wealthiest states in the nation, and a city run by liberals for 75 years, is above 30%. So very curious why you picked NC...
Just for your benefit

The national debt is at a record $23,089,914,098,997 as Floridaman put $3.1 trillion on the taxpayers’ credit card to buy a sugar-high economy

Last edited by Pete F.; 12-06-2019 at 02:30 PM..

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
Just for your benefit

The national debt is at a record $23,089,914,098,997 as Floridaman put $3.1 trillion on the taxpayers’ credit card to buy a sugar-high economy

I've been saying for a long time that the debt needs to be dealt with. Most people only care about debt when their party is not in the oval office, hypocrisy on both sides.

Why'd you pick NC to talk about poverty rates?
Old 12-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #17
Pete F.
Canceled

Dad: "Son, here's $50, go have a good time.
Son: "Thanks Dad, you're the greatest, I've never had so much money!
Mom: "You know we're two months behind on the mortgage payment
Dad: So?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Dad: "Son, here's $50, go have a good time.
Son: "Thanks Dad, you're the greatest, I've never had so much money!
Mom: "You know we're two months behind on the mortgage payment
Dad: So?
Oh, we're bouncing checks at the federal level?

You're making up gibberish.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #19
PaulS

Quote:
I gave him credit all the time, although Obama's recovery was the slowest of all time, and he didn't lower my taxes. But the economy was a lot better when he left that what he inherited.

The 2008 crash wasn't Bush's fault, come on. He did very little to contribute to subprime mortgages. I mean, if you blame Bush for that, then you are saying a President owns the economic results during his term, and using that logic you have to give Trump an A. So which is it?
The point of my post is that you seem to need affirmation w/Trump and almost every month start a thread about the economy.

I've always said that Pres. get too much credit/blame for economy and that if anyone was to give the Pres. credit they should wait until like the middle of the 2nd year.

Don't forget that the tea part was started bc of the huge defecit.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #20
PaulS

Quote:

Don't you constantly bring up NC when you want to compare it to Conn?

Hypocrisy at it's finest.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #21
PaulS

Quote:
gibberish.
is that the latest insult you constantly throw around?

You should use "you and your ilk" more to change it up a little.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #22
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

He's just practicing the Trumplican defense, though he missed the Gym Jordan memo to do it LOUDLY AND REALLY FAST

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
Don't you constantly bring up NC when you want to compare it to Conn?

Hypocrisy at it's finest.
I do bring it up, and I can explain why, as if you didn't already know... NC and SC have some communities with a very high standard of living, and very low taxes. Not every community in NC and SC fit that description obviously, but some do, more than zero do. Here in CT, there are exactly zero places that fit that description. Not one. Zero. I think that's significant. I bring up NC as evidence that CT taxes are not necessary to fund a high quality of life, nor are they necessary to provide great public schools, so it's actually relevant when I bring it up.

By contrast, I'm not sure what the poverty rate in some southern counties has to do with the jobs report. Every state has brutally poor areas. Pete was offering that to refute the good news of the jobs report, which is absurd. The United States federal government will never eradicate poverty.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-06-2019 at 04:53 PM..
Old 12-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:

Only when what's been said, is impossible to discern. Seeing more and more of that as re-election possibilities sink in.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
The point of my post is that you seem to need affirmation w/Trump and almost every month start a thread about the economy.

I've always said that Pres. get too much credit/blame for economy and that if anyone was to give the Pres. credit they should wait until like the middle of the 2nd year.

Don't forget that the tea part was started bc of the huge defecit.
I don't need to affirm anything with Trump. Just pointing out facts. If I'm making a post about the economy once a month, that's a good thing, because it means that there's good economic news monthly. I'm not making stuff up out of thin air. Just injecting some truth. I'm sorry if facts and truth seem so startling to you and your ilk, maybe you should spend less time embracing the gibberish.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
He's just practicing the Trumplican defense, though he missed the Gym Jordan memo to do it LOUDLY AND REALLY FAST
Can't answer the question I asked twice, eh?

"Gym" Jordan, I get it! Ha ha ha, please stop my stomach hurts from laughing so hard.

Your signature says that Sondland stated there was a quid pro quo. You seem to have left out the part where he said very clearly, that this was a presumption, he had zero evidence. He presumes there was. Others presume there wasn't.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
Your signature says that Sondland stated there was a quid pro quo. You seem to have left out the part where he said very clearly, that this was a presumption, he had zero evidence. He presumes there was. Others presume there wasn't.
This isn't really true, he definitely said there was a quid pro quo, he said he presumed it was directed by the president. The evidence overwhelmingly shows that it was...
Old 12-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This isn't really true, he definitely said there was a quid pro quo, he said he presumed it was directed by the president. The evidence overwhelmingly shows that it was...
True, his presumption is that Trump ordered it.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #29
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I do bring it up, and I can explain why, as if you didn't already know... NC and SC have some communities with a very high standard of living, and very low taxes. Not every community in NC and SC fit that description obviously, but some do, more than zero do. Here in CT, there are exactly zero places that fit that description. Not one. Zero. I think that's significant.

Zero hypocrisy.

Not sure what the poverty rate in some southern counties has to do with the jobs report. Every state has brutally poor areas. Pete was offering that to refute the good news of the jobs report, which is absurd. The United States federal government will never eradicate poverty.
When you look at states, it looks more like blind belief in rhetorical baloney than hypocrisy on someones part. Cheaper isn't all that counts. Don't forget Floridaman is doing things for black unemployment and that must be wonderful for Hartford and Bridgeport.
And of course income distribution can't be an issue because, well just because. Otherwise it would be somekindofevilism and we can't have that.

38. North Carolina
• Median household income: $52,752
• Population: 10,273,419 (9th highest)
• 2017 unemployment rate: 4.6 percent (17th highest)
• Poverty rate: 14.7 percent (13th highest)

Some 14.7 percent of North Carolina residents live below the poverty line, one of the higher poverty rates in the country.

5. Connecticut
• Median household income: $74,168
• Population: 3,588,184 (22nd lowest)
• 2017 unemployment rate: 4.7 percent (16th highest)
• Poverty rate: 9.6 percent (5th lowest)

Connecticut is one of just a handful of states with a poverty rate under 10 percent, at 9.6 percent.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 12-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
When you look at states, it looks more like blind belief in rhetorical baloney than hypocrisy on someones part. Cheaper isn't all that counts. Don't forget Floridaman is doing things for black unemployment and that must be wonderful for Hartford and Bridgeport.
And of course income distribution can't be an issue because, well just because. Otherwise it would be somekindofevilism and we can't have that.

38. North Carolina
• Median household income: $52,752
• Population: 10,273,419 (9th highest)
• 2017 unemployment rate: 4.6 percent (17th highest)
• Poverty rate: 14.7 percent (13th highest)

Some 14.7 percent of North Carolina residents live below the poverty line, one of the higher poverty rates in the country.

5. Connecticut
• Median household income: $74,168
• Population: 3,588,184 (22nd lowest)
• 2017 unemployment rate: 4.7 percent (16th highest)
• Poverty rate: 9.6 percent (5th lowest)

Connecticut is one of just a handful of states with a poverty rate under 10 percent, at 9.6 percent.
“cheaper isn’t all that counts.”

i agree, which is why every time, i
mention places that have low cost AND a high quality of
living. My point is that insanely high taxes are not necessary to deliver a high quality of life. Not sure how you didn’t see that.

I’m not saying every city in NC is good, or that every city in CT is bad. My point is that there are cities out there that deliver high quality at low cost, and exactly zero if those cities are in CT. If I’m
wrong, please tell
us which cities in CT are cheap
and have a high standard of living?

How would you possibly make that wrong?

CT is losing population, NC is booming. CT is dying, getting worse and worse every year. It cannot be saved.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by Jim in CT; 12-06-2019 at 06:10 PM..