Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Jimbo

Fishing with Permanent Ailments

My oncologist got blunt on me this week. I have fairly severe nerve damage (neuropathy) which is a result or side effect of chemo treatments I had last year. Mostly in my feet, for the most part making it difficult to walk on uneven surfaces. He said he's not convinced I'm going to see a complete recovery from it like many do, so I started thinking I can't be the only fisherperson whose dealt with something like this. Have others? Carried on, but maybe had to give up the rocky shores and jetties and nights and be confined to sand and in the day when you can see what you're stepping on? I've had to make many adjustments to life in the past year, ironically this one I seem to more have difficulty in accepting. I guess like Gunny Highway said, improvise, adapt, overcome.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Sea Dangles

Take it slow and wear corkers.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I haven't had to do anything like that in life as yet, but I just wanted to say keep your chin up, and maybe you'll recover or adapt well-enough so that it doesn't bother you.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Squid kids Dad

Jimbo..I feel your pain..Something here but for a differrent reason

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Raven

think comfortable boat seat and fish sitting down
it's more fun being on the move anyway with the wind blowing
thru your hair..... you do have to create a demand to gain strength
but you shouldn't be doing that on un-even surfaces or rocks.
just my two cents... as i deal with it too (arthritis)a permanently sprained ankle
supports my weight one minute and not the next.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Sound like a perfect candidate for a kayak??? Ever try one or think about it??? Give it a shot...I think you might enjoy it!!! Good luck to you my friend!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Pete F.
Canceled

Step #1 ask him why he thinks that and what you can do to make that not be. Every little bit you quit in life makes it more sure you can't do whatever. None of us are getting younger and contrary to popular belief in your twenties you will live to 50 and beyond and pay for the bad stuff you do to your body.
Step #2 Don't quit, adapt. Stay active.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Jimbo

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. All are most appreciated and I have definitely been coveting my neighbor's kayak. The nerve damage caused by the chemo may or may not go away and it could take upwards of 18 months (I'm 6 months along) to see improvement, but along the way there should be little bits of progress. It's mostly gone from my fingers, but from my ankles down not so much, so the doctor is giving me a heads up. I ask at every appointment and there's still no cure for it.
One idea I came up with on my own is I ordered a new truck with 4WD, so once I figure that out at least I can shorten the distance it takes me to get to the ocean's edge.
Good weekend all.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
Raven

ONE other thought.... Jimbo , do not underestimate the Power of belief in yourself getting better...
Do not accept the Doctor's assessment of non regeneration... it's just a slower process
Old 06-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Saltheart

Its all about assessing what you can do safely. yes you canb try to hop across 6 feet to the next rock but you might end up with a busted head. You can try to just park 5 feet from the bike path and fish from a folding chair and you can probably do it. All the in between takes an assessment of the risk vs rewards. It may be worth risking a little discomfort to fish but its not worth risking breaking your neck. yes its a big throttle back but who knows , you throttle back for a while then maybe as time goes on you can regain some of the loses.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Jenn

Adapt- if you love fishing enough you will find a way. Rock hopping may be out of the question but how about finding an easier access spot and try bait fishing? You may be surprised how rewarding it may feel when you get there and realize youre still doing what you love but with a different approach! I dont live 10 minutes from the ocean so I dont get to the surf as often as I would hope too....but sometimes fishing in the local pond gives me the "reality check" that a fishing trip does not ALWAYS have to be ideal to be enjoyed.

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
FishermanTim

Never underestimate the power of the human spirit, or of your willpower!!!
Remember when you were a kid and when you were told that "you can't do that!", and you went and proved them wrong?
This is just the adult version.

As Raven stated, the power of belief, though it may not move mountains, it can move YOU over those mountains!

My popular belief is that the human spirit hates being told that something cannot be done. That is what drove man to reach for the stars, and more closely, driven many to prove their doctors wrong!!!

Keep at it and hopefully you will be able to regain your former mobility. I would also suggest the kayak, as it will offer you another fishing venue to explore.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
Raven

3 years ago my foot Doctor said in his own words "you got nothin"
when he went to flex my toe Joint.... i was going thru some
difficult times and postponed the joint replacement surgery until i was comfortably in a new location (new life).

then, i went back to say i'm ready now for the "procedure" or operation and he talked me out of it .

So then later at home ..........i was sorting thru some stuff
and found an un opened bottle of 1500 Mg chondroitin / glucosamine and said "what the hell" might as well try it.

within three days the toe joint felt all warm and fuzzy (happy town)
and i had 70 % of my mobility "range of motion" back and was
marching around like no tomorrow. So i learned a valuable lesson.

it used to be...if i even stepped on an unseen acorn or pebble on the driveway it would roll or turn my ankle
real bad and screw me up big time but now it is not an issue.

That took ten years worth of healing to make that difference. I'm just telling you my story so you can
have Faith that time will heal all wounds.............. so be patient.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Jimbo

Thanks for the continued responses and support. Maybe what I was asking for are the subtle "boot to the hind quarters" responses I'm seeing (appreciating). I have no intention of throwing in the towel yet and do believe I'll be close to whole again someday. I have to, just like I have no doubt he got all the cancer. My frustration is two-fold and I probably should have added I had pretty major surgery in 2011, then another in the same spot this past January and got a severe warning from the surgeon about doing too much too soon and herneating something after he spent 7 and a half hours making me a complete a$$hole again. "When, doc?" "I don't know." UFN-no heavy lifting, no softball, no volleyball. I walk and bike everywhere (like Forrest Gump in his running phase) and bending being good you won't find a weed to be had in my garden (a wary chipmunk but no weeds). I'm just now looking up B vitamins as there is research indicating it may help with the nerve thing. We'll see. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Jimbo - you can also switch up where and how you fish. Some of the easier places you used to go you can access at more favorable times - like first light - and use that to your benefit.

I'm glad you are on the mend - very glad

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Raven

keep in mind also...if you can find some water that isn't heavy surf
standing in it half way with waders on...

you'll weigh half as much due to the buoyancy... on your feet.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Clammer

Jimbo,

If you travel this way .all you have to do is make to the bottom of the ramp ;

All the rest will be easy , on your part , might be scary ..maybe even enough to speed up your healing process .

But if you are planning a trip this way >>> Ya have a unlimited pass on the Clammer1 ;;

BOL MIKE

ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE !!!

MIKE
Clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

What about acupuncture or massage therapy to help bring feeling back?

My girlfriends mom had similiar issues when she dealt with her cancer and chemo and lost feeling in her feet and hands and calves too.

She went for massages weekly and made a full recovery. Or almost full.

There's lots of natural ways to help with the effects of chemo.

My girlfriend is now a massage therapists and has 6 or 7 cancer/chemo patients that see her regularly to help with joint pain, swelling, loss of feeling, etc.

Best of luck in your battle, have faith and keep at it.

Best wishes
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
Jimbo

More great ideas and more thank you's from me. I will find time to look into everything that's been posted (I'd be sort of a fool not to, right?). I have grilled a number of doctors, family, oncology, the super doc who did my surgery, even the folks at the treatment center I went to, and not a one would give up even something they even heard rumored. Just takes time and don't do the things I've learned make it feel worse. As soon as the new F150 arrives I'll be commuting north again on a regular basis, destination 02670 to see my father.
I'm going to stop there and offer up some advice to you all. Had a spot on my shoulder that just wouldn't heal. Went to the dermatologist today and he's sure it wasn't cancerous, but going to the lab anyway. Sun caused and needed to be removed anyway. First time for that deal. Felt like he whipped out his KaBar to do it. Not fun. Likely the result of spending too much of my youth in the sun without sunscreen (who knew?). Anyway get a big floppy hat and vat of your favorite SPF and don't be afraid of using it on yourself and every cherished member of your family.