Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Jimbo

Cool things come to those who are patient

This is probably sort of corny, but I've been helping my wife going through her father's estate, sometimes with the help of her siblings sometimes not, it's a tough, emotional task. Right after her father's death one sister came and removed a .22 and an old Davy Crocket looking musket that had hung over the fireplace, saying that she wanted them passed on to sons who had spoken often about the guns with her father. OK, so go get them appraised and that comes out of your share. Never heard back on that task. Not long after that my wife came home and nervously presented me with a Colt .45 Model 1908 US ARMY, New Service revolver she found in the back of a closet. All of a sudden a brother who didn't want to help and didn't want anything from the estate comes up with a reason he should get that. OK, so I take it and have it appraised, it's in great shape, real sharp looking weapon, $2800-3000 approximate value. Personally, even without the ammunition (those are big f'ing bullets) for it which I have hidden elsewhere, it's too much firepower to have tucked away in a closet, I'd rather not have it in my house. So that's it for the gun's tough luck Jennifer (my wife), I guess you don't get one. This past weekend I went over to check on the house and go through a really packed basement and the attic, which had been gone through previously. I just didn't want my wife to fall down the stairs or get locked in the attic. About an hour in that dry dusty attic I'd had about enough of old clothes and suitcases. I crawled on my hands and knees across the beams just for the heck of it and glad I was that I did as I saw a black plastic bag sticking out of some insulation. Oh yea baby, what have we here. One more weapon, military issue Krag-Jorgensen Model 1898, bolt-action .30-40 cal. carbine. I'm not a gun person, but old stuff intrigues me, especially when it's owner put his initials on it so we know it's got significance for several reasons, even if not of great monetary value. And the history of the gun itself isn't too shabby, either. The siblings seem to have a renewed interest in cleaning out the house now, too.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote