Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Town cutbacks

Reading the "TIVERTON PAYT" tread about trash bags cost figured I would throw this question out.
What cuts have your town imposed ?

My town (Wrentham Ma. ) started with the pay $2 for trash bags atleast 5 years ago.
Last year they went around and shut off 1/2 the street gights to save electricty.
Not sure how long ago they stopped an oil recycling program (which I'm pretty sure made $)
I know there are many other things that have been cut back that I'm not coming up with right now.
We got emails the latest thing thats coming is if you live within 2 miles of a school not more school bus rides.

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I notice many towns are cutting back on doing any re-paving of crappy roads???

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
BigBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I notice many towns are cutting back on doing any re-paving of crappy roads???
Especially in Rockland. I swear we have had the worst roads in Plymouth County for years and now there isn't a prayers chance in getting them repaired.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Especially in Rockland. I swear we have had the worst roads in Plymouth County for years and now there isn't a prayers chance in getting them repaired.

Maybe a few selectmen/women own tire & or front end alignment shops

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
BigBo

My street alone will take 10 years off any front end.
You could be right.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
GregW
Secretsquirrel

bunch of stuff.

Latest one I saw that I wasnt expecting, the library is open less and closed some days.
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Hookedagain

Pay for the trash bags and be happy they are not cutting the police and fire. I know its a different state but one town away in Fall River 44 firefighter and 36 police were laid off. Firefighters for 8 month and some police are not back yet. Then after getting my job back, they took 8% of my pay. It took us 11 years to get that 8% and it was gone with the stroke of a pen. I'm fortunate to have a job....but my mortgage didn't go down 8%.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
Pay for the trash bags and be happy they are not cutting the police and fire. I know its a different state but one town away in Fall River 44 firefighter and 36 police were laid off. Firefighters for 8 month and some police are not back yet. Then after getting my job back, they took 8% of my pay. It took us 11 years to get that 8% and it was gone with the stroke of a pen. I'm fortunate to have a job....but my mortgage didn't go down 8%.

In my town they can cut the the police & fire budgets as far as I'm concerned. We got way too many on the forces now.
No one in town can understand why we have a 3/4 million $ ladder truck and not 1 building high enough to need it !
Most towns out my way the fire depts have to out do the next town with more, nicer & newer equipment.

LETS GO BRANDON
Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Georgetown you have 2 options for trash....take it to the dump....or pay a private company to pick it up.... we pay for pickup.

we just had a 2 1/2 overide voted in for the schools....so property taxes are going up about a hundred a month

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
basswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedagain View Post
I'll never be happy to keep paying for the financial irresponsibility of my town.$2 for A garbage bag is outrageous,that same two bucks gets me the same bag other than color and town name on it for .10cents a bag at BJs.In the end our garbage won't be picked up without recycling bins present as it was before PAYT.Don't forget we already pay a very hefty tax for pickup,even if you go to the landfill you still pay that tax.

If the the towns and cities would stop being so irresponsible with taxpayers money there'd be no need to lay off any town/city workers.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
In my town they can cut the the police & fire budgets as far as I'm concerned. We got way too many on the forces now.
No one in town can understand why we have a 3/4 million $ ladder truck and not 1 building high enough to need it !
Most towns out my way the fire depts have to out do the next town with more, nicer & newer equipment.
Some towns got Homeland and Security grants and bought a bunch of stuff they won't ever use...hover craft and such.

If I ever have to pay for trash here in Mansfield I'll be pissed, We have the best of everything...school fields landscaped by pros with sprinkler systems..a track we keep lighted for the hell of it ...new buildings..trucks... you name it. But now the schools may have to let a few teachers go.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Georgetown you have 2 options for trash....take it to the dump....or pay a private company to pick it up.... we pay for pickup.

we just had a 2 1/2 overide voted in for the schools....so property taxes are going up about a hundred a month
wakefield (RI) as well.
Recycling is free (and technically, mandatory) but trash is commercial (Waste Haulers). I know it is more expensive than $2 a bag given the size bag you guys are describing, and that is with a kid....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
wakefield (RI) as well.
Recycling is free (and technically, mandatory) but trash is commercial (Waste Haulers). I know it is more expensive than $2 a bag given the size bag you guys are describing, and that is with a kid....
I would just dump my garbage behind the Glass Station.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote