Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-20-2019, 03:57 AM   #1
wdmso

Lawsuit as unvaccinated teen banned by US school in outbreak

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47613881

An unvaccinated Kentucky teenager is suing after his Catholic school excluded him amid a chickenpox outbreak that has sickened at least 32 pupils.

His lawsuit argues the vaccine is "immoral, illegal and sinful" and his rights have been violated.

This is the new conservative battlefront religious liberty

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.06da4209d23c
Old 03-20-2019, 06:24 AM   #2
Jim in CT

it’s a fascinating case.

I’d say your right to religious freedom ends where the tip of my nose begins. So you can believe whatever you want until it puts me at risk ofngrave harm.

I wonder if it matters that this is a private school not public.

Fascinating.

WDMSO, why is the question of the Bill If Rights, a partisan issue to you? Why do you label this as a conservative issue? Doesn’t it impact all of us?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 03-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Good for him.

Why is it that both left and right have vaccine resistant members but you only call out a kid because he goes to a Catholic High School?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-20-2019, 07:41 AM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Good for him.

Why is it that both left and right have vaccine resistant members but you only call out a kid because he goes to a Catholic High School?
that's easy....

because....

leftists oppose vaccinations based on science...which is smart

righties oppose vaccination base on religion...which is dumb

it's an easy way to keep the distinctions simple in one's mind

Last edited by scottw; 03-20-2019 at 08:28 AM..
Old 03-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Good for him.

because liberal=good, conservative=bad.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Probably will once the suit starts progressing

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 03-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
that's easy....

because....

leftists oppose vaccinations based on science...which is smart

righties oppose vaccination base on religion...which is dumb

it's an easy way to keep the distinctions simple in one's mind
It's probably because they both have access to Facebook, and it came across their newsfeed one day.

Stupidity is Bipartisan

Old 03-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
wdmso

Quote:
Good for him.

My issue with not his vaccination Status .. it's the weaponization of conservatives using religious liberties as the latest wedge issue and use it to justify discriminatory practices
Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
wdmso

Quote:
it’s a fascinating case.

I’d say your right to religious freedom ends where the tip of my nose begins. So you can believe whatever you want until it puts me at risk ofngrave harm.

Fascinating.

WDMSO, why is the question of the Bill If Rights, a partisan issue to you? Why do you label this as a conservative issue? Doesn’t it impact all of us?
As I said it's not a vaccine issue conservative use of religious freedom argument . It's one of their new go to defenses The reason using it They are even using it against their own Catholic schools
Old 03-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
My issue with not his vaccination Status .. it's the weaponization of conservatives using religious liberties as the latest wedge issue and use it to justify discriminatory practices

Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #11
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
My issue is his vaccination status, because that is the problem. The action of an individual and the impact it will have on others. Vaccines are common and ubiquitous, almost everyone gets them. Your problem is not that the guy did something wrong, your problem is that some people spun it a certain way.

This is why you and I don't see eye to eye on so many things. You are not concerned with the failure: lack of vaccination. You are concerned with how it makes one side look bad.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
As I said it's not a vaccine issue conservative use of religious freedom argument . It's one of their new go to defenses The reason using it They are even using it against their own Catholic schools
I don't know what "it" is, that you think "they" are using against Catholic schools. Nor am I sure who "they" is.

I think the question of whether or not religious freedom allows a kid to expose others to a disease for which there is a vaccine, is a fascinating question. On one hand, we cherish religious freedom. On the other hand, I like kids not getting sick for no good reason.

My hope would be that this family in question, at least during a time of outbreak, has no right to risk the health of others, in the name of their religion.

This is a Catholic school, and Catholics aren't opposed to vaccines. if this kid's religion wants to start their own school where no one is vaccinated, and people want to send their kids to that school, that's their business.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #13
wdmso

Quote:
My issue is his vaccination status, because that is the problem. The action of an individual and the impact it will have on others. Vaccines are common and ubiquitous, almost everyone gets them. Your problem is not that the guy did something wrong, your problem is that some people spun it a certain way.

This is why you and I don't see eye to eye on so many things. You are not concerned with the failure: lack of vaccination. You are concerned with how it makes one side look bad.
That's funny whos clearly isn't concerned with many of Trumps actions .. and tends to minimize them based on who posts the objection .. you. Now your spinning this story as if trying making one side look bad. They don't need help the storie speaks for its self

who's bringing the lawsuit using the religious freedoms argument he is
Old 03-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47613881

An unvaccinated Kentucky teenager is suing after his Catholic school excluded him amid a chickenpox outbreak that has sickened at least 32 pupils.

His lawsuit argues the vaccine is "immoral, illegal and sinful" and his rights have been violated.

This is the new conservative battlefront religious liberty

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.06da4209d23c
Also, the Washington Post article you linked, asked why Republicans are making an issue of religious freedom, which the article says is "uncontroversial".

Wayne, maybe you and the author of this celebration of ignorance, were asleep during the entire Obama presidency. But people who paid a speck of attention during those years, saw the religious freedoms of Christians, routinely attacked. Ask the owners of Hobby Lobby, the Little Sisters of the Poor, or the Christian baker who just won at the Supreme Court.

It's not a waste of time, to make sure that religious liberty is protected. And Christians aren't paranoid for worrying a little.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #15
wdmso

Quote:
I don't know what "it" is, that you think "they" are using against Catholic schools. Nor am I sure who "they" is.

I think the question of whether or not religious freedom allows a kid to expose others to a disease for which there is a vaccine, is a fascinating question. On one hand, we cherish religious freedom. On the other hand, I like kids not getting sick for no good reason.

My hope would be that this family in question, at least during a time of outbreak, has no right to risk the health of others, in the name of their religion.

This is a Catholic school, and Catholics aren't opposed to vaccines. if this kid's religion wants to start their own school where no one is vaccinated, and people want to send their kids to that school, that's their business.
He is doesn't have chickenpox the many in the school has chicken pox so because they know hes is not vaccinated they don't want him to come to school so he doesn't get sick

So a uses religious discrimination argument.. When clearly they were trying to Look out for his welfare
Old 03-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #16
Jim in CT

Quote:
who's bringing the lawsuit using the religious freedoms argument he is
It's a reasonable argument. But there are limits to religious freedom. We don't allow human sacrifices for example.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
So a uses religious discrimination argument.. When clearly they were trying to Look out for his welfare
You can't deny someone's constitutionally guaranteed rights, even if you think it's in their best interests to do so.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #18
wdmso

Quote:
Also, the Washington Post article you linked, asked why Republicans are making an issue of religious freedom, which the article says is "uncontroversial".

Wayne, maybe you and the author of this celebration of ignorance, were asleep during the entire Obama presidency. But people who paid a speck of attention during those years, saw the religious freedoms of Christians, routinely attacked. Ask the owners of Hobby Lobby, the Little Sisters of the Poor, or the Christian baker who just won at the Supreme Court.

It's not a waste of time, to make sure that religious liberty is protected. And Christians aren't paranoid for worrying a little.
Again try reading the whole story it was uncontroversial til conservatives brought it to the table and that's where the controversy starts
It's what conservatives do they lie about a topic until it becomes truth and the everyone believes it in their base there is about as much voter fraud is there is religious discrimination Of course until you ask a conservative then it's rampant

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 03-20-2019 at 12:21 PM..
Old 03-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #19
wdmso

Quote:
You can't deny someone's constitutionally guaranteed rights, even if you think it's in their best interests to do so.
Since one is going to a private school your constitutional right
Old 03-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Again try reading the whole story it was uncontroversial til conservatives brought it to the table and that's where the controversy starts
It's what conservatives do they lie about a topic until it becomes truth and the everyone believes it in their base
Obama made it controversial when he decided he could abolish freedom of religion to serve the liberal narrative. He made it controversial when his administration said that Muslim truck drivers could not be forced to abandon their religious beliefs at work, but refused to offer the same guarantees to Christians.

Think honestly for just two seconds...

"It's what conservatives do they lie about a topic "

What lies are you referring to? I referenced Christians who successfully sued Obama at the Supreme Court, for trampling their right to religious liberty. That happened, I'm not making it up.

I don't think Obama wanted to do away with Christianity, but he clearly overstepped, and the courts said so. Thank God for our system.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 03-20-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Old 03-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #21
scottw

Quote:

But there are limits to religious freedom. We don't allow human sacrifices for example.
that's next on the democrat agenda...just watch....to quiet the global warming gods
Old 03-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #22
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
that's next on the democrat agenda...just watch....to quiet the global warming gods
I don't know, they'd be hard pressed to find a virgin

Old 03-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #23
wdmso

Quote:
Obama made it controversial when he decided he could abolish freedom of religion to serve the liberal narrative. He made it controversial when his administration said that Muslim truck drivers could not be forced to abandon their religious beliefs at work, but refused to offer the same guarantees to Christians. you know this is a complete lie yet still push it as the facts

Think honestly for just two seconds...

"It's what conservatives do they lie about a topic " (see above)

What lies are you referring to? I referenced Christians who successfully sued Obama at the Supreme Court, for trampling their right to religious liberty. That happened, I'm not making it up. love to see your cases to support your claim

I don't think Obama wanted to do away with Christianity, but he clearly overstepped, and the courts said so. Thank God for our system.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.1d00b5900fae

Trump admin files more briefs in religious liberty cases than Obama, Bush

all about the base ...
Old 03-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #24
detbuch

Quote:

all about the base ...
Thanks for informing us that the Trump administration is all about the base. Let us hope this practice doesn't catch on with other politicians.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-20-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Old 03-21-2019, 06:58 AM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:

all about the base ...
"you know this is a complete lie yet still push it as the facts "

I POSTED A LINK TO THE LAWSUIT THAT THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION FILED ON BEHALF OF THE TRUCK DRIVERS.

When the tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g company attempted to deny freedom of religion to the Muslim truck drivers, the Obama administration stepped in and protected their rights.

When Christian business owners were told by state governments that they had to abandon their religious beliefs at work, the Obama administration didn't help them, nor of course did the ACLU, which is literally founded to protect exactly these rights.

So what's the lie, exactly? I'm really curious to know what the lie is here.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:58 AM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Thanks for informing us that the Trump administration is all about the base. Let us hope this practice doesn't catch on with other politicians.
but he doesn't hate Trump...
Old 03-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #27
DZ

Both of my children went to private colleges - one was a VERY liberal school. All these schools required complete vaccination records before they could start classes. No record provided - can't attend classes.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #28
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If you don’t want to vaccinate your kids to protect their health and other kids they come in contact with in school, then home school them; even the Pope has done a 180 on vaccinations.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #29
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

kind of a weird situation, back in the day when some kid had chicken pox, parents used to send their kids over to play with them so they got it over with.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #30
DZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
If you don’t want to vaccinate your kids to protect their health and other kids they come in contact with in school, then home school them; even the Pope has done a 180 on vaccinations.
I agree - choices have consequences. As a parent it's up to you to find a school that is either OK with un-vaccinated children or home school your kids. Too big a risk to society.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.