Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Another top coat

Well another site I have frequented for a few years , mostly fresh water lures, has been talking about this product for some time and I was wondering if anyone has any exposure to it to offer an opinion. Looks interesting but then they all do at first. It is explained as a one part moisture cured polyurethane, whatever the hell that is.
http://www.#^&#^&#^&#^&nite.com/s81.htm

Last edited by ProfessorM; 01-01-2008 at 07:51 PM..

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

I noticed they have all thier own paints with it . I know they use alot of that moisture cure urethane on hardwood flooring .. always meant to try it .

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

One problem I see with it is storage. Seems if you don't store it away from air it will kick. Several have said they can't get cover off again. They say put it in several small glass jars and limit the exposure to air. Some dip some brush some spray. Here are a few post which might explain it better
http://www.tackleunderground.com/for...ght=#^&#^&#^&#^&+Nites

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
stripercrazy
Hernia Pikie Maker

discount

got to give them some credit, discounted it to builders, read a post where they drill the can and use a screw to get the product out

its no ones fault
stripercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Canalman
Calling Jon The Fisherman

Well, I don;t know about THAT moisture cure, but the ones we sold for flooring at the Paint Store were VERY aggressive and would lift almost anything. I'd bet that it's only compatible with his paints... don't know though. The quest for the right clear is an endless road I think

Also, remember that top coat is not the secret... it's a system, and your system is only as good as it's weakest component.

Surf Asylum Lures, Custom Lures for the "Committed"
Official S-B Sponsor
Canalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I asked about water based paints, Createx, and several said they have no issues with it but you have to heat set your paint. I am sure it is probably toxic too. It is maddening. Just was curious if anyone had any exposure to it.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Krispy

I've been thinking about making my clearcoat available to the plugbuilding community
Is there an interest for a 1 part clear, viscosity of house paint, brushable, self leveling,super tough,non cracking, air dry, type of product?

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
LaPala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
I've been thinking about making my clearcoat available to the plugbuilding community
Is there an interest for a 1 part clear, viscosity of house paint, brushable, self leveling,super tough,non cracking, air dry, type of product?
I'd want a few more characteristics:
crystal clear, water proof, UV resistant, non-yellowing, thin buildup or cured density as close to water as possible, and slight elasticity.

And a few questions:
What is working time & curing time?
How tough is tough?
I would prefer sprayable too.

Regards,
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3517&dateline=1174078  960
LaPala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Lets hear it. I am all ears

Old 01-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
I am considering offering you my first born child

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
Jigman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canalman View Post
....Also, remember that top coat is not the secret... it's a system, and your system is only as good as it's weakest component.
Wise words. Everyone looks at their topcoat, but forgets what they put under it is often more important. After all, if your primer does not stick to your sealer, it really doesn't matter what you use for a topcoat. Its all coming off anyway.

From a practical side, gotta consider ease of use, availability, expense, safety, and compatability. What is "best" for a commercial builder is probably different that what is "best" for the hobby builder.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #12
Krispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPala View Post
I'd want a few more characteristics:
crystal clear, water proof, UV resistant, non-yellowing, thin buildup or cured density as close to water as possible, and slight elasticity.

And a few questions:
What is working time & curing time?
How tough is tough?
I would prefer sprayable too.

Excellent Qs.
Waterproof, of course.
It is slightly elastic, were it hit with hammer it will dent vs crack.
It is not water like crystal clear. It does have a slight amber noticable over snow white paints.You couldn't tell over any other color.
It is UV stable and non yellowing
This clear is not water thin, it has the consistencet of a urethane or oil base paint. That's what I was looking for, its has a deep luster with 1 thin coat. Who wants to apply 20 coats to get a decent sheen?
Working time is prbly 1 hour, cure time is a week for fishable but over extended time it gets super hard
Mt clear is by far the easiest to use, strongest and best looking product around

Illepand into greater detail but working from Blackberry is a PITA

Sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. - Morpheus
Old 01-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
Krispy

Also sprayable
Non toxic when cured and about as Dangerous as oil paint. Could use indoors w ventilation but wouldn't sleep w it under my pillow
Also doesn't require spinning, heat etc to cure

Last edited by Krispy; 01-02-2008 at 01:04 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I've tried most everything

Moisture cured is cured over time from the humidity in the air, so if you are in Arizona, you will need to adapt.

Krispy, I'd be interested in trying something else, what the hell, I've spent close to 1000 bucks so far and am not thrilled with any of the stuff. Epoxy is a pain, one part stuff usually sucks but if you say it's tough, I'll try it. Is it moisture cured? you say 1 hour working time, does that mean untill it tacks up and after that no more brushing? or is it a potlife thing?
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #15
eastendlu

I'm intrested in this also.
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Paul ... that stuff says thin with acetone ... reminds me of my propionate nightmares .. great sealer ... try using over paint ... any paint ... melts quicker than fried ice cream ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I asked the guy on the other site and he says he uses over Createx, heat cured, and has no problems at all for quite some time. But that is him and not me. Murphys Law is always looking for me.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #18
Krispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
I've tried most everything

Moisture cured is cured over time from the humidity in the air, so if you are in Arizona, you will need to adapt.

Krispy, I'd be interested in trying something else, what the hell, I've spent close to 1000 bucks so far and am not thrilled with any of the stuff. Epoxy is a pain, one part stuff usually sucks but if you say it's tough, I'll try it. Is it moisture cured? you say 1 hour working time, does that mean untill it tacks up and after that no more brushing? or is it a potlife thing?
Yeah Slip, its tough.
Its not a moisture cure.
Also, theres no potlife, its useable until it tacks up and then just wait overnight if you need to recoat. By far the most user friendly and dummy proof product Ive tried

Old 01-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #19
Diggin Jiggin

dummy proof sure sounds good, I hate epoxy...
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #20
eastendlu

Ok Krispy what is it Bannana oil ?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #21
Woodbuster

What would I need to clean my spraygun with when I'm done?
Woodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #22
Krispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
Ok Krispy what is it Bannana oil ?
Lu, Im working w/ manufacturer on getting smaller quantities avail. for the plugbuilding community.
WB, just mineral spirits to clean up

Old 01-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #23
Nebe

Quote:
Lu, Im working w/ manufacturer on getting smaller quantities avail. for the plugbuilding community.

You can market it as "Krispy Creme"
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #24
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
Well another site I have frequented for a few years , mostly fresh water lures, has been talking about this product for some time and I was wondering if anyone has any exposure to it to offer an opinion. Looks interesting but then they all do at first. It is explained as a one part moisture cured polyurethane, whatever the hell that is.
http://www.#^&#^&#^&#^&nite.com/s81.htm
LOL,P., your always lookin for something to drive you crazy.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:36 AM   #25
Pete F.
Canceled

Sounds like something even a roofer could use.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #26
eastendlu

Quote:
Thanks Krispy
Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #27
tobias

Is this what you were telling me about out at Cutty?

Hope all is well with the family
tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #28
LaPala

Acetone thinned Krispy? I hate that from experience with prop. Pain in the u know where.

Does it require Hazard shipping? I'm very far away. And I was told for some other stuff, per shipment hazard shipping is at least 300-400 big ones

Regards,
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3517&dateline=1174078  960
LaPala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #29
Krispy

Tobias,
It is the clear I was describing on Cutty
I know you have/had some of my lures w this finish. Maybe you could give your evaluation of this cured coating to folks here

Old 01-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #30
Krispy

OK, so I have had a half dozen people PM me whether I am using a particular product. Its not and apparently there are a lot of people using the same super secret clear coat
I have tried it and this is far superior IMO