Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 12-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
wdmso

electric boat winch

was given a 3000lb winch for the boat for Xmas its an ATV style but if the mounting holes line up I am going to give it a shot . going to mount the batterie on the trailer but should I get a starter batterie or deep cell ?
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

if it is going on the trailer, I would get a gel-cell deep cycle and also put a lock on it

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Look into the hydraulic dump trailers to find out what battery they use and how they secure the box it lives in.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
niko

Why not use the truck as the power source? Not being a smart ass
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Why not use the truck as the power source? Not being a smart ass

Best to mount a battery securely on trailer and have a rear power source from the truck to connect to that battery to keep it charged.
Typical Truck 15-20 ft length is pretty long run for battery cables and those winches draw some amps.
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Cool Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Best to mount a battery securely on trailer and have a rear power source from the truck to connect to that battery to keep it charged.
Typical Truck 15-20 ft length is pretty long run for battery cables and those winches draw some amps.
He's using a small 3,000 pound ATV winch and should be able to power it from the truck by wiring an additional plug next to the plug for the lights.

Many 4x4s use much larger winches mounted to the bumper that run off of the trucks power without any issues.

Why spend all the worry over theft proofing an expensive battery that he will have to keep charged?

My main concern would be how well is the ATV winch protected against salt water.

I have one of the 3,000 pound ATV winches to help when cutting large oaks. They are light, small, don't draw a ton of amperage and should work well on a boat trailer.
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Guppy
User

Charging a battery on the trailer could be problematic ,,, Wayne drives off with the extension cord still plugged into the boat charger,, just saying ;-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:58 AM   #8
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Charging a battery on the trailer could be problematic ,,, Wayne drives off with the extension cord still plugged into the boat charger,, just saying ;-)
Once.. ok maybe twice
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #9
Rockfish9

I use a twist lock trolling motor connector at the truck... it has a nice rubber plug to seal out the weather when not in use.and mounting brackets are available.. .. ..the one I have is rated @ 60 Amps... full load for my winch is 30.... be sure to install a breaker at the battery...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote