Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Rod Building

Rod Building So, you've landed a nice fish on a plug you made, eh? Now, the next step, building your own RODS!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
pbadad

Running Guide Distances

NGC preferably 4-6" equal spacing. I'm doing a 1201M and the stress test looks great w/o an extra guide. Equal spacing puts the runners @ 6.4". I was thinking of progressively spacing the first two runners then 6" for the last two runners. Tested the set up and saw no issues with line flow. Seeing this blank is tip strong I see no problem with 6" +. Thinner tip rods I would use an added runner in set up. Your thoughts?

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

It is not about tip strength, it is about line control.

Like you, I use runners at 6-7" apart, but if I look closely I can see line start to billow between runners. This may not be optimal, but I live with it because I'm using relatively large runners (size 8 KW or KT), the rod fishes fine, and putting even more runners with wraps and epoxy defeats the whole purpose of a light tip. Then again, I don't use the NGC system, what I do is much closer to a K concept, so my choker is much further in than yours and I'm using more runners.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Saltheart

Whether I use the Fuji Concept or NGC or the KR spacing schemes , I do not follow there recommendations to evenly space the runners. I use a preogressive spacing because the blank is tapered and that calls for progressive spacing in my mind. I think you will find that if you correctly apply any of the guide spacing systems , you always start with a stress test. The stress test also supports the idea of progressive spacing unless the blank is almost uniform in thickness with almost no taper. Now when I say I progressively space the runners , its not a huge difference between each. Instead of 6 for each I may use 5.5 , 5.75 , 6 , 6.25 , and 6.5.

Numby's comments about the line flow between the runners is very true. The biggest application where I see a miss application of the runner spacings where line flow gets negatively affected is on LOw rider (LC) layouts.

Anyway , on the topic of the thread , there is nothing wrong with progressively spacing the runners and in fact I think its better. Your mileage may vary.

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
pbadad

Thanks guys. I have 32" to tip. 6 #10 guides work even @ 5.3. I rather keep this particular blank @ 5 #10 guides. I tested 6.5" spaced even with the last space 6". Looks good stress & cast test. George if #8 were used yes I would consider 6 runners. I was wondering about the full significance of runners being spaced evenly. Miniscue deviations shouldn't have too much negative effects.

Billy D.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
stripermaineiac

A short note. the biggest prob I've found with doing a rod an not tapering the guides towards the tip is when trying to cast the light stuff like a-salts an small metal lips.The wind can an will put slack in the line causin the plug to tangle. Took a bit to find the cause. This was on an arra 1205. Tested it on a century 10' 6 "slingshot an found the cure was tapering the runnin guides so as to use the blank taper like an old style rod.With all the multi use we're looking for its better to avoid if possible. Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
pbadad

So Ron tapering meaning staggered spacing like COF's? I assuming progressive spacing same, same.

Billy D.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
stripermaineiac

Pretty much. The way it was explained to me your using the natural forse of inertia and controling it by making the space that the line can expand into smaller . That makes the amount of line the wind can affect smaller plus it keeps the line from slowing as much which is important when casting smaller lures which don't have the mass needed to drag the line at a sustained speed. LOL.A guy named Murrat showed it to me when I ist started makin rods in the 60's. It seems to be a constant with no matter what type of casting you do.It's one of the ist things I check when a guide set up isn't working like I hoped it would.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
pbadad

Thanks Ron.

Billy D.