Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

This is pretty funny

serioulsy, pet lovers for Obama?

When we've shared photos of Bo over the last few months, we've learned two things. One, there are a lot of First Dog fans out there. Two, there is an enthusiasm for this campaign that extends to the furriest members of your families.

That's why we've launched Pet Lovers for Obama, a special way for pet lovers like you to be a part of this campaign.

Say you—and your pets—are in for 2012 now.

https://my.barackobama.com/page/s/om...robama_300x250

I bet this is to get in front of what romney did to his dog.....

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
spence

I didn't believe the Romney dog story when I first heard it, I thought it was satire.

It does really say something about his character.

-spence
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I didn't believe the Romney dog story when I first heard it, I thought it was satire.

-spence
Yes Spence. But Obama's not lifting a finger to protect babies who survived abortions who were born alive, (in fact blocking legislation proposed to help those babies) that doesn't say anything about Obama's character.

liberal = good, conservative = bad. No exceptions. Not ever.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

-spence
Spence, you're one in a million.

I agree, the dog episode does say something about Romney's character. Its despicable in my book.

Its interesting to me, despite many, many posts on the subject, you never once said that Obama attending Rev. Wrights church for years said something about his character? Not a peep, you've constantly made excuses for Obama.

I think that says something about your character.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Has Romney responded to this? What on Earth did he say?

It's amazing to me that someone thoughtful enough to want to bring the family dog on vacation, could be so thoughtless as to tie him to the roof. Unbelievably stupid and cruel.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Piscator

I guess at the very least he can be given some credit for building a special windshield....................man, what a dumb thing to do.

Although I used to see dogs in the back of a pick up all the time, not so much anymore.

"I know a taxidermy man back home. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!"
Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Its interesting to me, despite many, many posts on the subject, you never once said that Obama attending Rev. Wrights church for years said something about his character? Not a peep, you've constantly made excuses for Obama.

I think that says something about your character.
It certainly shows that I take the time to understand situations and issues.

Obama moved to south Chicago to work with the community and that Church was the cornerstone of the community. I've mentioned many times that a lot of what Wright has said has been misrepresented and yes he's said a few nutty things which Obama has stated clearly he doesn't subscribe to.

What you don't hear about though is the other 20 years...not just the few sound bites. I'll be the man has done a lot of good preaching over those years...if he's helped people live better lives and help others in the name of Jesus that has to be taken into account.

Regardless, you become a member of a church, not a groupie to the pastor. I think most people once they become a member of a church place a lot value on the congregation they're a part of.

-spence

Last edited by spence; 03-01-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Old 03-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

Obama moved to south Chicago to work with the community and that Church was the cornerstone of the community. I've mentioned many times that a lot of what Wright has said has been misrepresented and yes he's said a few nutty things which Obama has stated clearly he doesn't subscribe to.

What you don't hear about though is the other 20 years...not just the few sound bites. I'll be the man has done a lot of good preaching over those years...if he's helped people live better lives and help others in the name of Jesus that has to be taken into account.

Regardless, you become a member of a church, not a groupie to the pastor. I think most people once they become a member of a church place a lot value on the congregation they're a part of.

-spence
would you let someone who said those things, regardless of the context, baptise your children? perform your marriage?
Shows a lot about O's character.
Someone of character would have distanced himself from such a person.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
spence

Quote:
would you let someone who said those things, regardless of the context, baptise your children? perform your marriage?
Shows a lot about O's character.
Someone of character would have distanced himself from such a person.
Obama was certainly married and I believe had his children baptized before the controversial remarks that gained media attention were made.

-spence
Old 03-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Jim in CT

Quote:

-spence
Spence -

First, you say you have taken the time to understand the issue. Then, you say that "you bet" he has done some good preaching. In one sentence you say that you learned the facts, the next sentence you start off by admitting you have no idea what the facts are, but that you're betting the facts make Obama look like something other than a jerk. You can't have it both ways Spence. Either yhou know the facts, or you will blindly speculate that Obama is flawless.

"I'll bet the man has done a lot of good preaching over those years"

Spence is "betting" that Wright has done a lot of good preaching. Why does Spence make this bet? Because it makes Obama look good! In spenceworld, you cannot say anything bad about Obama, remember...

"if he's helped people live better lives and help others in the name of Jesus that has to be taken into account."

Spence, with Romney's dog thing, you said the decision to put the dog on the roof says a lot about Romney's character. Well Spence, USING YOUR LOGIC, I bet Romney did a lot of good things with that dog, too. I mean, they took the dog to a cabin in the woods, I'm sure the Irish setter had a good time there. Using your logic, "that has to be taken into account.", right? RIGHT??!!

In Spenceworld, Obama's bad things need to be offset by his good qualities! But Romney's bad things can be looked at in isolation, to attack him.

Do I have that about right, Spence?

I mean, MY GOD Spence. Do you listen to yourself?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Jim in CT

Quote:
Obama was certainly married and I believe had his children baptized before the controversial remarks that gained media attention were made.

-spence
Can you prove this Spence? Or are you just "betting" again, because your oversimplified worldview cannot, will not, ever concede big blunders by Obama.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:

What you don't hear about though is the other 20 years...not just the few sound bites.

-spence
I betcha there was a mad scramble at his church to shred his past
sermons when it hit the fan.

" Choose Life "
Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Jim: Simple question.

Has there ever been something that you vehamently disagreed with, that your priest said during mass?

If so would you switch parishes?

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #14
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post

Has there ever been something that you vehamently disagreed with, that your priest said during mass?

"Has there ever been something that you vehamently disagreed with, that your priest said during mass? "

I have never, ever heard a priest say something as offensive as "the federal government invented the AIDS virus to kill blacks". If I heard a priest say that, I'd be gone that second. SURE AS HELL, I wouldn't be calling that kook my spiritual advisor, and I wouldn't let him marry me or baptize my kids.

Rev Wright is not a rogue priest within the Black Liberation Theology religion. He is a hero within that religion.

"If so would you switch parishes?"

Damn right I would. And if the religion believed what the priest said, I'd switch religions.

I'm not brainwashed by Catholicism. I choose to be Catholic because I have decided that Catholicism fits my beliefs. When Catholicism stops fitting my beliefs, I'll stop being Catholic.

For example, I'm not pro-life because I'm Catholic. Rather, I chose Catholicism because I am pro-life. If the church changes its position on abortion, I leave the church, I won't become pro-choice.

I'm not a lemming, and I'm not a hypocrit.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Can you prove this Spence? Or are you just "betting" again, because your oversimplified worldview cannot, will not, ever concede big blunders by Obama.
Obama's daughters were both born before 9/11, the most controversial comments were made after 9/11.

According to the Trinity church website, they perform infant baptisms and will baptize others in lake Michigan.

Most people I know who are active church members have their children baptized as infants, and considering Obama was a State Senator at the time one would think having them baptized in lake Michigan if they were older would be news worthy...yet there's no news.

So it's a very reasonable assumption that Obama's children were baptized before the comments that got so much air play were made. Add to that the fact that Obama has stated he didn't even attend those sermons, and that they didn't become a big deal until he ran for POTUS.

So it's also a very reasonable assumption that Obama wasn't even aware regardless.

-spence
Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Damn right I would. And if the religion believed what the priest said, I'd switch religions.

I'm not brainwashed by Catholicism. I choose to be Catholic because I have decided that Catholicism fits my beliefs. When Catholicism stops fitting my beliefs, I'll stop being Catholic.

I'm not a lemming, and I'm not a hypocrit.
Fair answer. Never accused you of being a hypocrit. You are stong in your faith.

What about the handling of the priest-abuse scandal? Did that give you pause over the handling of this?

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:

Bryan,

I can tell you this, every Christmas eve as a child I spent at my grandparents. In college, I was one of the only grand kids that still went to my grandparents house. There were many other places I could've went but I didnt. Well, one Christmas eve while I was 18 or 19, we're watching Harry Connick Jr Christmas special. Aaron Neville or some other black performer came out and my grandfather went on a racist rant. I told him to knock it off, I didnt want to hear that crap especially on Christmas eve, He continued. I said screw this, said goodbye to my grandmother, parents and other family and left. I wont tolerate that crap. I got up an walked out. I also lost a very high level job once but standing my ground and not backing down. I lost the job.
So to your question on church? I was in catholic school from 2nd grade to High School. Anything I vehemently disagreed with? Pretty much everything. Thats why I'm not a practicing catholic.
I'm not putting myself on a pedestal but character and integrity are things I value more that anything. I've said it 1000 times, there is no excuse for Obama or anyone in that church listened to. none.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Fair answer. Never accused you of being a hypocrit. You are stong in your faith.

What about the handling of the priest-abuse scandal? Did that give you pause over the handling of this?
A tough but fair question.

First, let me say that I hope all the priests who abused kids rot in hell, and I hope we give the victims all the asupport we can.

That being said...

The media, particularly in Massachusetts and CT, has made a huge deal out of the story, and rightly so. But the story has been massively distorted . To read the papers, you'd think this was a uniquely (or almost uniquely) Catholic problem. However, the statistics show that rates of pedophilia are HIGHER among public schollteachers than they are among Catholic priests. Yet the media coverage of this scandal is almost uniqely focused on Catholic priests...my conclusion (and I don't see an alternative) is that it's a smear campaign, otherwise why single out abuse by priests, and why ignore the fact that it hapens more frequently with teachers? The pedophilia isn't a Catholic problem, it was a larger societal problem. Anyone who refers to Catholics (or priests) as a group, as child molesters, should also feel that public schoolteachers are child molesters. But I've never heard that claim in the media, not once.

Also, the rates of peedophilia are similar in other major religions, yet the overwhelming focus has been on Catholics. The media is liberal, and they hate my church (this is also shown in the recent coverage of the contraception issue, where the media focuses on the Church's "antiquated" beliefs, when ALL that matters in the Constitution and the freedom of religion guaranteed therein).

I also hate how the problem was handled in my church, meaning the bishops who just moved the priests from parish to parish (which, by the way, is what happened with public teachers in the 1960's). All I can say is that involved a small handful of bishops who have bene dealt with,. though not dealt with they way my Marine training would respond.

I hate that kids were abused by priests. It makes me sick to my stomach. I also hate the way this story has been distorted.

Yesterday in CT, lots or my fellow citizens (including many non-Catholics) got great services compliments of the Catholic church. Lots of hungry people got free food at Catholic soup kitchens. Lots of homeless folks got a free bed at Catholic shelters. Lots of poor people got free healthcare at Catholic hospitals. Lots of couples got adoption services from the Catholic organizations. And lots of kids got a great education at Catholic schools. My Church does an enormous amount of good.

Catholics are humans, which means we ain't perfect. We screw up royally sometimes. But rather than sitting around and complaning, we actually roll up our sleeves and do something about it. Some bigots watch us, wait for us to make mistakes (which of course we do), and then they pounce on it.

To answer your question, I wouldn't abandon my church over the horrible abuse, no sooner than I would say we need to shut down public schools. The numbers suggest your kid is more at risk in public schools, but no one cares to talk about that. I can only speculate why.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
I also hate how the problem was handled in my church, meaning the bishops who just moved the priests from parish to parish (which, by the way, is what happened with public teachers in the 1960's). All I can say is that involved a small handful of bishops who have bene dealt with,. though not dealt with they way my Marine training would respond.
The sustained coverup by church leadership was the real scandal...

-spence
Old 03-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Bryan,

Thats why I'm not a practicing catholic.
I'm not putting myself on a pedestal but character and integrity are things I value more that anything. I've said it 1000 times, there is no excuse for Obama or anyone in that church listened to. none.
Wrong Jim. I know you are a god-hating heathen :insert sarcasm smiley here:

Bryan