Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List Arcade Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks » Popular How-To threads

Popular How-To threads Favorite How-To threads from other parts of the boards that we recommend people read (especially novices) when an answer to a common question is needed...

Old 05-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
gtillen

Talking Need expert HELP with line size!

I just bought a Shimano Citica 200 E baitcasting reel and put it on a 7’ Bionic Blade medium action pole from BPS. I see that the highest test line recommended is 14 lb.
Here is my dilemma; I see guys on TV using 30, 40 even 65 lb test lines on reels that look similar to mine when bass fishing.
This is my first reel of this type and I need some expert advice. Here are my questions;
1) Can I use these heavy lines on my reel without consequence?
2) What line do you recommend for long casts from shore with med sized lures and baits? (I am fishing for large mouths in cover and freshwater stripers up to 35 lbs and big river catfish.)
Thanks for the help!
gtillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
sabiki

What you could do is get flourocarbon fishing line. It is usually has a thinner diameter then than the standard monofiliment line. My 15 lb flourocarbon is actually significantly thinner than my 20 lb monofilament. The downside is that flourocarbon is a bit more expensive. You could also get braided line.Braided line is very strong and you can fit alot into your spool. But to answer your questions

1. The concequences
- you wont be able to cast as far
- Less line will fit in your spool
- You will have less control
2. Generally you use as little as you can get away with. It isnt nessesary to have 30lb line to catch a 30lb fish, similarly it is not nessisary to have 400lb test to catch a 400lb marlin (usually 100 will work). You can use as low as 20lb. It all depends on how safe you feel with the line. You can play it safe and catch a white perch on a 20lb line, but whats the fun in that. A thicker line is much harder to cast, and is less sensitive. so i would reccoment 25lb test.
sabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Raven

yep there's lines that are 20 pound test that have the line diameter of 12 pound test for longer distance casts....

and your bent rod or bend in your rod and drag make up for any short comings
of a lower pound test line that you need.....
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote