Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
Bishop169

Obesity in Children

I brought my child to the doctors this afternoon for his check up. There was about a dozen kids there ranging from 4-12 and only 4 that looked like they had healthy weights. It makes me sad for them and angry at the kids parents

I have to say the obesity issue in children is getting worse these poor kids. The parents should be punished.

I don’t always serve my kids healthy food but I don’t let them gorge themselves either

OK I will get off my soap box
Bishop169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I lived in CA for 6 years, I never saw kids outside playing. When I moved back to teh east coast and settled in a residential neighborhood, I still didnt see any kids. I run 4 nights a week through a few neighborhoods and I see empty swingsets, empty streets. When I was a kid we were outside for every second of daylights. Streets were full of touch footballl, kickball, hopscotch, you name it. Not any more. Some of it is due to security concerns and the fear of crazies having access to kids, but some is just outrught laziness and dependency on tv, computers and video games

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Bishop169

I know what your saying I was living on a dead end road in CT with allot of kids around and my kids were alway outside. I moved up to NH to a condo complex that has 3 playgrounds I thought would be great for my kids. turned out are ghost towns
Old 05-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Lightbulb

physical inactivity (nintendo generation, urban wussification)
+
nasty processed foods (high fructose corn syrup, enriched wheat flour, high levels of saturated fats)
+
bad habits
=
obesity

the good news is, obesity is manageable with a little bit of behavior modification.

fishpoopoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

I think the picture in your avatar should go a long way in modifying behavior

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Raven

one thing i've noticed

is: parents asking their kids what they want to eat for dinner, breakfast or lunch
...instead of saying: this is what we are having. Period.

every one of us generally falls into one of three categories....
*texture freaks (for example i can't stand ocra cuz its slimey like an Eel)
*taste freaks -> taste buds are completely replaced every 7 years
and *visual freaks... people who wont eat something
just because of how it looks....

the point being that you shouldnt eat things
just because they taste good.
they should be eaten because they are good for you.

Parents are supposedly the educated providers who
learn something about nutrition at some point in their lives.

unfortunately...they are also so busy that they sometimes decide
that takeout food or fast food is easier when in reality it's nearly
50% saturated fat... (the worst kind) resulting in FAT kids
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
chris L

I guess genes dont play into it at all ? I dont believe it . not all fat kids are lazy , computer , video game junkies . some even eat really well and end up fat cause one parent has the gene in their family tree . but that couldnt be it ?
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Lightbulb

i'm sure heredity plays a role in obesity - but I think diet and exercise (or lack thereof) are the biggest influences. obviously, there are the relatively few cases where really profound obesity arises from medical issues.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Backbeach Jake

A lot of kids are fed to shut them up. If they're eating then they're not screaming. Many parents are very permissive, anything the kid wants it gets. Food , toys just about anything but parenting. Both parents working and feel guilty that they've let someone else raise their children (daycare) and lavish food and gifts on their kids to make it up. As a result, you have overweight kids who's thumbs are exercised by video games.. My.02..

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Wink

let's not forget all those evil parents who neglect their kids by going .... fishing. yes, you fishing makes your kids fat.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
fishsmith
DDG-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassturbed View Post
let's not forget all those evil parents who neglect their kids by going .... fishing. yes, you fishing makes your kids fat.
Yes but when you see them again in the late fall it's amazing how much they grow.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
FishermanTim

I will admit that there are a percentage of kids that will be genetically "coded" for obesity, but that percentage is low.
The majority of kids have become "enabled" by their parents because (as stated earlier) they ask the kids what they want to eat.
I don't have kids, but I do have nieces and nephews, and I am ALWAYS giving them fruit and veggies to snack on.
(This is partly because of my own changed eating habits.)
We live on a cul-de-sac, and the kids always want to go out and play.

Unfortunately, most parents either don't have the time and energy after a hard day at work, or they assume the kids will amuse themselves.
As for the hard day at work theory, I find that if I get home and my brother is there with his kids throwing a baseball around, I have no problem getting my glove and joining them. (Remember, even as adults, exercise is good.)
As of them amusing themselves, if you leave pre-teens alone they will probably get into some trouble (breaking something) or getting hurt. That's why when the kids are out of the yard, there will be an adult to "keep an eye on them".
finally, as for the parent(s) that leave their kids home to go fishing, why not take them along as they get older, or start them off with freshwater tactics. (My nieces and nephews LOVE to go fishing with Uncle Timmy.)
Well, that's my .02
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
Squid kids Dad

Easy to say if you have never had kids,both parents work full time ect..Its harder than you think

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #14
wheresmy50

Fair enough SKD, but there are the same percentage of households where both parents work now as in 1987 (http://www.bls.gov/cps/wlf-table23-2006.pdf), and the number of obese kids has skyrocketed in that time.

Also, not all working parents are working for the same "reason". Sometimes both parents work because that's necessary to provide a roof over their heads and food on the table, and sometimes both parents work to have 2 new SUVs and a half million dollar house. Perhaps in the latter case, they could re-focus their priorities.
wheresmy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #15
Skip N

I had the worst diet when i was a kid, BUT i was always active so it never affected me. Stay active, and you wont be a fatty! Same goes for adults, walk around town and look how fat our society is. Its rather sickening!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Skip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #16
Slipknot
Super Moderator

that might be a little harsh Bishop, but I get your point.

I try not to judge people without knowing their situation or generalize myself.

you might be one of those people with a high metabolism, your lucky.

I try to avoid mcdonalds and those places
the food in this country is geared towards obesity but you can find good choices.

I'm gonna eat a big bowl of ice cream now in your honor

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #17
Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassturbed View Post
physical inactivity (nintendo generation, urban wussification)
+
nasty processed foods (high fructose corn syrup, enriched wheat flour, high levels of saturated fats)
+
bad habits
=
obesity

the good news is, obesity is manageable with a little bit of behavior modification.

WeLL Said!!!

......but a lot of parents need schooling themselves,,its like when you hear young kids use the F bomb HELLO the freakin parents taught'um that!

Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #18
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
I was a kid in the 60s - 70s,
and in my opinion things are MUCH different from now.
Back then,
- No tv watching
- No video games
- No Mcdonalds
- No computers
- No women working a job, other than in the kitchen !!!
I rode my big wheel till the tires wore off, then the same with my bike.
We would play street hockey , kick ball and base ball day and night!
I had a paper route when I was 10 and delivered papers with the paper bad on the handle bars about 3-4 miles a day till I was 13 or 14.

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #19
Joe

Going outside ain't what it used to be....
They can't ride their bikes in the neighboorhood because a road rage d-bag doing 50 in a 25 will run them down - or a freak will grab them up....
They can't walk down the street because a freak might grab them up.
They can't play in the front yard unattended - see reasons 1 & 2...

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #20
Raven

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
what Flavor.....?

yeah Raider Ron me two! DITTO on the activities but i also walked alot to go fish "down the river"...
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #21
Backbeach Jake

When Jenn and I decided to have kids, it was also decided that she would stay home. She sews and does anything with material ( her degree at RISD). There is a marked difference in our children (mid 20's now) and their cohorts from school. Our daughter is a slim ,trim fashion maven/ inside sales manager at a major Boston firm. Our son is a slim,trim superathelete bicycle racer/shipper receiver at Providence Bicycle in RI. Their friends on the other hand...welll aren't. I/ we claim no special skills, just that our system seems to be a tad healthier. The kids need someone home when they get there, it's a sacrifice, I know, boy do I know, but the satisfaction alone is worth it all.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #22
fishsmith
DDG-51

Well said Backbeach, I'm living what you did (I hope to have the same results, congrats man!!) , my wife is a Bentley or is it Bently grad(as you can see I"m not) and now a stay at home mom. It is a huge $acrifice, but I can't put a price tag on my kids safety.

If you don't have kids, you have a lot of balls telling others how to raise them.
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 AM   #23
Bishop169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
that might be a little harsh Bishop, but I get your point.

I wouldn't say "Harsh" at all yes we all have to admit we live in a gluten’s society and its every parents choice to what they buy when they shop..

Stick with Bryers all natural that has to be the best ice-cream

Someone stated that it could have something to do with there genes. My sisters is a nurse and my father a doc only about 10% truly have a genetic condition for the other its normally parental conditioning... generally people with bad eating habits pass it down to the kids we learn from watching chubby mom + chubby dad= chubby kid.

Before I get yelled at I know not always. It just breaks my heart to hear a little 5 yr old panting after climbing a flight of stairs.

So back to point maybe punishing the parents isn’t right but they do need a wake up call.. It just makes me made to hear “oh it’s genetic” when there are scores of medicine that can fix that. People need to wake up and stop looking for scapegoats food dependency is just as bad and sometimes worse then alcohol and drugs for a persons health.

:edit: forgot to mention I'm a full time single dad... taking my kids fishing with me is the only chioce I have
Old 05-16-2007, 10:26 AM   #24
chris L

dont judge a person till you have walked in their shoes ! a doctors kid from ct that explains it . have at it !
chris L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #25
FishermanTim

One of my mottos has always been "Everything in moderation!"
Another is "A body at rest tends to stay at rest, while a body in motion tends to want to stay in motion".

I can't prove this, but I believe that by letting kids stay inactive and possibly overweight through their "growing/developmental" years is bad. This allows their bodies to develop a "foundation" based on carrying extra pounds. When they get older, it becomes next to if not impossible to lose and keep off any weight since their bodies developed around a frame build on extra girth.

I was always active as a kid. Walking miles a day was nothing, heck we walked EVERYWHERE. I can recall walking into the city from Jamaica Plain, or walking home from Downtown Boston. Sure, I was tired, but I didn't mind.
As an adult reaching middle age, I don't walk that far, but I try to walk a mile each day (while working out with 5lb weights).
I feel great, my clothes fit better, and what surprises most of my friends and coworkers is that I weigh MORE than I look.
At 5'11", at 46 yrs I top out at around 275lbs. But look like I would weigh less than 240 easily. (I attribute this to the "walking workouts", and that muscle weighs more than fat.)
I try to watch what I eat, and will "explain" why I buy/eat what I do so that my family might get the hint and try taking better care of themselves.

The bottom line is that if the kids don't build a good body "foundation" now, they'll be in for more "repairs" as they get older, and you'll hear "I wish I had taken better care when I was younger".
Old 05-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #26
PaulS

I work at company that doesn't have enough parking spaces so people can park on the private roads. Early morning when there is still lots of spots, you can watch the fat people parking on the road to get closer to the door. Then they come in and walk by the stairs and take the elevator up to the 2nd floor. What comes first the chicken or the egg - did they get fat from being lazy or they got fat and refuse to exert any energy.

Also how many times have you seen someone waiting for someone else to load things into a car so that they can park close to a mall. You pass them and there's a spot 10 cars back. You park and walk by the fatso still waiting.

What do you think their kids learn?
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #27
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I get a kick out of the People who park illegally in the Firelanes.......at the Gym. They go inside and work out for 2 hours but they won't walk the extra 100 feet in from a faraway spot

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #28
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
I think the picture in your avatar should go a long way in modifying behavior

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #29
FishermanTim

I park at the end of our lot specifically so that I have to walk to and from the building. I also walk up 4 floors to the office as well.
My coworkers think I'm crazy, but I look at myself in the mirror and realize it's not crazy at all.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #30
sok
North Shore Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I get a kick out of the People who park illegally in the Firelanes.......at the Gym. They go inside and work out for 2 hours but they won't walk the extra 100 feet in from a faraway spot
So I'm not the only one that noticed that?
I worked across a parking lot from a gym for 5 years.
Almost going to blows about how close to the door they got to park.
I actually moved my terminal to get a better view...........
(The scenery was very nice sometimes.)
sok is offline   Reply With Quote